Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's a better buy, P85D with $20k miles or a new S90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went through similar dilemma
It was between 90d and P85d, both Inventory cars identical options
90d was 8k cheaper and 3 month newer with 1500 miles on odo
P85d was 6k miles
What would be the wiser decision here?
It partially depended on the VIN number for me. When I was looking to upgrade there were several P85D, but many were earlier late 2014 early 2015.

There have been several minor improvements in the later part of the year. Some like LTE, are upgradable, but others, like the improved premium interim may not be. One minor improvement that mattered to me was the improved center armrests. The newer ones are much softer and far more confortable in my 99382 VIN, than the ones in the 60k VIN Range. It's minor, but I really like the new ones. Like the NextGen seats, they make me happy every time I get into the car.

I did drive a P85D loaner for a little over a week, and to be honest, I'm glad I got my 90D. The 90D is very close to the performance of the old P85, which is a sweat spot for me. It is very fast and fun to launch, but not uncomfortably so. Plus the 90D is cheaper to insure since its not a "performance model".

P85D is July build with93xxx VIN 6000 miles
90d is October one 1500 miles
all have next gen seats, lte and subzero with heated steering
all other options are identical
msrp 132 vs 111
Definitely a tough call. Tougher than the option I had when choosing back in September. :)

Check with you insurance company for the difference in rates. It can be over $1000 extra per year for a P car with some companies.

I assume you've driven both models, if not, definitely do. the 90D is quite fast and may be fast enough (it is for me)

Personally, I'd probably go with the 90D, and use the $8000 savings for Xpel/CQuartz/Tint.

I'm trading in my P85+
If P85d is about the same insurance rate, I'll be happy
But this is extremely tough call for me
However, extra fun and Red color (my fav) won me over pearl white 90d
I also hope resale value in couple of years or so will stay around 8k difference

p.s. Can someone tell me if P85d can achieve better range than EPA
better yet, is it close to 85d when set to cruise and in range mode?