TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's a good length for NEMA 14-50 Extension Cord?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gameboy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. gameboy

gameboy Member

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I purchased one but never used it and don't even carry it on road trips anymore. The only real reason for an extension cord is if you are plugging into a dryer or welder plug (neither are 14-50) because they are often further away.

With RV parks you park next to the plug so length isn't a problem.

With public chargers, they are all J1772 so the 14-50 doesn't apply.

3. gameboy

gameboy Member

Thanks for helping me save $60, Jerry! Good to know. I had the electrician place the outlet front middle of my 2-car garage. The Tesla cable has just enough length to reach my car, even with a folding table between the wall and car. I think a 15' extension would come in handy if I ever get a second electric car, like a Model X, and park it on the left side of the garage since there wouldn't be enough run.

4. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

What Jerry said, and don't get the Camco, they are so stiff, rolling it up is about impossible.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I have a 75' fully-wired NEMA 14-50 extension cord and it weighs just around 40-50 lbs. I carry it only when I know I'll need it or I will be at a campground. It fits in the footwell beneath my kids' feet. I have used it twice -- once so that I could park near the RV I was staying in while plugging in at a neighbor's pedestal; and once so that I didn't have to park on the grass for a picnic.

Unless you have a specific need for it, I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I made one over a year ago, mostly for multiple people to charge and park at my house. I have yet to use it.... Mine is about 50 feet long.

7. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I bought a Camco 15' extension cord for a recent road trip because many hotels now have 14-50 outlets for Tesla owners to use, but the spots next to those outlets can get ICED. The first time I stayed at the Paso Oaks hotel in Paso Robles, they only had one 14-50 outlet, the parking spot next to it was ICED, and the UMC wouldn't reach. Luckily the manager was able to get the guy blocking the spot next to the outlet to move. But if I'd had the 15' extension cord at the time, I could have charged even if the other car hadn't moved.

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

9. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Personally, I think a good length is one that allows the car to reach the plug. It kinda depends on where you are parking, right?

10. jefflieb

jefflieb Member

I bought the Camco 55194 50 AMP 15' RV PowerGrip Extension Cord to allow me to charge in my driveway without backing in. This cord is very stiff and more so when it is cold. it sure look good. reason it has a good price is there are 4 wires in a sheath case, not like the Tesla cord at all. Bottom line is it works for the times I need the extra length for short $ IMO

11. roblab

roblab Active Member

I bought two 15 footers. Lighter and easier to roll up the smaller one, and BOTH times I needed an extension cord, I needed them both. I was unable to reach the outlets, and the hotel gave me bad information about where they were, out on a lawn for holiday lighting, about 40 feet from a driveway that was almost blocking guest traffic if I parked in it.

The RV park was full, so I asked a resident RVer if I could use his outlet for an hour, for a price. No problem. But it was on the other side of his camper.

I take mine on road trips. You never know.