Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's a used Roadster worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've pulled the log file. It comes out as a .tar file. Apparently my computer knows how to unpack .tar files because when I double-click on the .tar file I end up with a bunch of text files, some of which are gibberish, but one of them, called ahr.log, is a list of brick number, SOC, and voltage.

Anyone know how to make sense of any of it, or how to find the CAC from these files?

I've also uploaded the .tar file to Tesla, asking if they can tell me the CAC, but I have no idea if they'll respond, or if I have to phone the service department.
Don't unpack it. Get the log parser from VMS Log Parser for Tesla Roadster and just feed it directly.

Hi,

I don't understand why roadster prices don't go up to the moon now one is going to Mars and this is the first electric sport car in history.
(Like Apple 1 for computers...)

Maybe in a few years...

The price of a rare commodity is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Roadsters are not rare enough, and in demand enough, for prices to be higher than they are. There's also the difficulty of finding a buyer in a market where so few people are interested. Most sports-car enthusiasts are not also EV enthusiasts. I bought my Roadster, not because it's a sports car, but because at the time it was the only electric car I could get.

Elon's stunt of sending his Roadster to the asteroid belt (not to Mars!) got some publicity for SpaceX, but I would not expect it to do anything to Roadster values. And it was probably a 1.0 and he probably has at least one 3.0 and one or more Model S and X.

@daniel - The “Spacester” he sent up was a 2.0 Sport - VIN 686 - that was upgraded with a 2.5 bumper, rear diffuser, wheels, and Double-DIN navigation. I can’t tell, but it was likely updated with everything else the 2.5 has as well.
Upgraded here on Earth. But the subsequent upgrades to send it to space involved removing a lot of stuff. It's listed on the manifest as "Modified". You can see in the pictures that a lot of the suspension stuff is missing (you can see through the wheels), and the lower part of the dash and the center console are also gone. My strong expectation is that the battery was removed, so as to not jeopardize the launch. Having a 990lb can of flammable goo and metal break loose during Max-Q is unlikely to end well. While taking out the battery, the PEM and probably the motor had to be removed and likely not replaced, as well as just about anything else save the dash, seats, and body shell. My guess is that they filled the remainder with concrete or the like, to provide a proper mass simulation for the mission, and to hold everything together.

All in all, still a genius move on Elon's part. Great PR move for SpaceX, and great visibility for Tesla and the Roadster. And he got rid of his Ex's car...

Reactions: Nvbob and DeedWest
I got an email back from Maddy at Tesla, in response to my query when I sent in the log file, and she said that my Roadster's average CAC is 159.4.

As noted above, I always charge it in Standard, except only once in Range mode, and never in Performance mode. And I don't drive a lot so it only has 15,000 miles on it. In Spokane we don't get extreme temperatures.

Reactions: DeedWest
Hi Daniel,

After all of the hoops you jumped through, your CAC looks very similar to the 159.38 that you read on the VDS.

Shawn

After I originally read the 159.38 from the VDS and posted it here, and people expressed skepticism, I talked to the ranger, who told me something similar to folks on here, that the VDS will give different readings each time, and only the logs tell the real story. So I read the VDS again and got a lower number of 158.45. Still pretty high.

So although the number is actually 159.4, apparently one needs to read the logs to be certain.

Did they give you any other details about the log, for example, any transient errors that might not have shown up on the VDS?

I didn't ask. I just asked for the CAC and they told me. I don't understand enough about what the log is to ask any other questions. But the car runs perfectly, so I just wanted a number for battery health to put in the ad.

I didn't ask. I just asked for the CAC and they told me. I don't understand enough about what the log is to ask any other questions. But the car runs perfectly, so I just wanted a number for battery health to put in the ad.
I guess this would be more for the buyer (or if you end up keeping the car), but sometimes there are things in the log that can be important even if the car is apparently operating normally. I grab a copy of the log about every month, and a few years ago started seeing some errors there that weren't visible in the cockpit. See: Seen in the logs: error codes 1115 and 1116. What are they? for the details, but the net result of it all was a real fix to a cooling problem that would have bit me in the future if I hadn't taken care of it then. Hopefully if there were such an issue they would have said "your CAC is 159, but you know, you really ought to get these other problems looked at..". It's not so much knowing what the errors are, it's that they existed. Lacking that, and fingers crossed, you should be good to go.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak