TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's After The Model 3?

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by Patrick0101, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

Will it be the new Roadster, or a truck, or something no one has predicted?

<Link>
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Lawn tractor!

Well, I can dream.

A pickup might have the most impact. Or perhaps a more cargo oriented SUV. They will likely need the new cheaper Gigafactory batteries to make it work.

• Like x 2
  3. Stealth MD

Stealth MD Member

My guess is:
    Model Y~2018
    then the next generation roaster~2019
    then the truck~2020 or later

• Like x 3
  4. vortexz

vortexz Member

Model Y is next for sure ! We already kinnda have 1/3 confirmation from Elon

• Like x 1
  5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yep. Model Y for sure. Then likely Roadster. I'm not so sure about the truck. That might have only been something Elon was dangling to get Texas to ease up on their store restrictions.

6. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

Right, the Y and Roadster.next can be made from the same platform as the 3. So they should be faster to develop than a truck. However, maybe the truck could be made from the S platform (with a few tweets). The X can already haul 5,000 lbs.

• Like x 1
  7. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

The Y is promised to be next. Honestly, the market for convertibles is *so* small they might put off the "new Roadster" and just go for the pickup. I hope they do so. The pickup market is enormous.

• Like x 2
  8. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I vote (as if it means anything), after Y... Pick-up (or Model P as others have suggested).

• Like x 1
  9. muleferg

muleferg Member

Need to replace my Polaris EV RTV.

IMG_0632.jpg IMG_0632.jpg

• Like x 1
  10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

In my opinion, if there isn't a major manufacturer selling electrified pick-ups, Tesla will absolutely _try_ to do a pick-up. Tesla do keep dangling manufacturing, but that doesn't alter the fact that pick-ups are a large, high-margin market, ripe for disruption. However, the technological challenge would be significant, as the limitations of the Model X show.

I do think that they'd try to make a 2nd Gen Roadster. The question would be whether it'd be Muskian, pushing it (say aero and sustained performance/"trackability"), or post-mission profitability, with a quicker job that shows how far they have come. Of course, just an amenity-updated Roadster with Supercharging might be popular. :D

11. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

I agree, I just wonder if the Model Y will be announced before the Model 3 is delivered. Probably not likely since they need to ramp up Model 3 production quickly and they probably don't need the extra cash from another announcement.

12. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

I don't really see how a next generation roadster fits the mission of Tesla at this point.

13. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Tesla needs a Model 4 to get the pricing down to Toyota Camry and Honda Accord range to be a truly mass market car. It will be a very long time away for the battery price to fall to that price point.

14. pr0teu5

pr0teu5 Member

Well, after the Model Y and perhaps the truck it seems the broad strokes outline of Tesla's goal is more or less accomplished. In the best case it serves as a halo model for the brand to attract more attention, it generates relatively high margins, and it's just a fun thing that both Tesla employees and fans can get excited about.

It also helps build and fits rather nicely within the brands image imho.

15. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

It may have generated high margins in it's first iteration (although I doubt it) when it was based on another vehicle. Designing and building a low volume ultra-niche vehicle from CAD design through die and stamping and assembly line--- the math would be much tougher.

16. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I agree with your assessment, but Elon did allude to it. It's also possible to make a profitable, more "mass market" roadster. Miata, Boxster, etc. I may have a slight bias as it's a car I'd likely jump to own, especially if it were a Supercharging-enabled, touchscreen-driven Tesla with serious acceleration. Overall, though, I agree that it's a tough fit into the mission statement, and they'd have to have an internal bias towards wanting one to convince themselves it's a good idea.

17. EnergyMax

EnergyMax Member

A Honda Civic competitor.

18. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I would guess a CUV based on the Model 3 platform then the next-gen roadster, also based on the Model 3 platform. After that, it will be time for Model S 2.0

• Like x 1
  19. Patrick0101

Patrick0101 Member

It fits the "we need to sell cars at a profit" part of the business. This gives them more revenue for expansion. And the it provides them with something that keeps Tesla cars in the press and keeps the "Tesla makes fast, fun, cars" view of the company growing. And they can try out new things there that would be too expensive to deploy on a high volume vehicle (until the kinks are worked out). Plus it is a nod to their beginnings.

Although, they should wait until after M3 production is in full stride.

20. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

It makes sense to use the same model 3 platform and make some variants. Thinking convertible, hatchback, etc.

The last thing I wanna see (facetiously) two years after launch is 1 million of the exact same car driving around everywhere. Can you imagine the confusion in the parking lot. We'll want some variety.