Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's After The Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to replace my Polaris EV RTV.

IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg

Reactions: Patrick0101
Yep. Model Y for sure. Then likely Roadster. I'm not so sure about the truck. That might have only been something Elon was dangling to get Texas to ease up on their store restrictions.

In my opinion, if there isn't a major manufacturer selling electrified pick-ups, Tesla will absolutely _try_ to do a pick-up. Tesla do keep dangling manufacturing, but that doesn't alter the fact that pick-ups are a large, high-margin market, ripe for disruption. However, the technological challenge would be significant, as the limitations of the Model X show.

I do think that they'd try to make a 2nd Gen Roadster. The question would be whether it'd be Muskian, pushing it (say aero and sustained performance/"trackability"), or post-mission profitability, with a quicker job that shows how far they have come. Of course, just an amenity-updated Roadster with Supercharging might be popular. :D

I don't really see how a next generation roadster fits the mission of Tesla at this point.

Well, after the Model Y and perhaps the truck it seems the broad strokes outline of Tesla's goal is more or less accomplished. In the best case it serves as a halo model for the brand to attract more attention, it generates relatively high margins, and it's just a fun thing that both Tesla employees and fans can get excited about.

It also helps build and fits rather nicely within the brands image imho.

It may have generated high margins in it's first iteration (although I doubt it) when it was based on another vehicle. Designing and building a low volume ultra-niche vehicle from CAD design through die and stamping and assembly line--- the math would be much tougher.

It may have generated high margins in it's first iteration (although I doubt it) when it was based on another vehicle. Designing and building a low volume ultra-niche vehicle from CAD design through die and stamping and assembly line--- the math would be much tougher.
I agree with your assessment, but Elon did allude to it. It's also possible to make a profitable, more "mass market" roadster. Miata, Boxster, etc. I may have a slight bias as it's a car I'd likely jump to own, especially if it were a Supercharging-enabled, touchscreen-driven Tesla with serious acceleration. Overall, though, I agree that it's a tough fit into the mission statement, and they'd have to have an internal bias towards wanting one to convince themselves it's a good idea.

I don't really see how a next generation roadster fits the mission of Tesla at this point.
It fits the "we need to sell cars at a profit" part of the business. This gives them more revenue for expansion. And the it provides them with something that keeps Tesla cars in the press and keeps the "Tesla makes fast, fun, cars" view of the company growing. And they can try out new things there that would be too expensive to deploy on a high volume vehicle (until the kinks are worked out). Plus it is a nod to their beginnings.

Although, they should wait until after M3 production is in full stride.

It makes sense to use the same model 3 platform and make some variants. Thinking convertible, hatchback, etc.

The last thing I wanna see (facetiously) two years after launch is 1 million of the exact same car driving around everywhere. Can you imagine the confusion in the parking lot. We'll want some variety.