Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's better for resale.. PUP or more range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know, and I've been asking myself that as well. How fast do various options packages depreciate?

I'm thinking that range will depreciate faster than PUP, just because the tech field is moving so fast... but I don't really know. Obviously, someone will pay more for a car with 310 miles range vs. one with 220 - and at present, apparently they think that premium commands $9k on a new car. But will the price difference between the two be $20k vs. $29k in the future? $10k vs. $19k further in the future? $5k vs. $14k? Of course not, its value will depreciate as the car does. When it comes down to it, there's a ton of people who want to drive a Tesla, period, and couldn't care about whether it goes 300 miles or just 150 miles, because they rarely ever drive that far. And you could always replace the pack 8 years in the future for a brand new one that will give you 400 miles range and be back under warranty.

But of course, PUP depreciates as well..... I'd expect its rate of depreciation to be linear with the vehicle's general depreciation rate.

Last edited:
AP is at the top. Pretty much all Teslas have AP. Without AP, it costs 6 - 10k to activate depending on the state of AP at the moment. Basically any buyer would just subtract at least 6k from your car's value. I know I would, since that's how much I would need to pay to activate it. The range upgrade is a model difference like BMW 330 vs. 340i with both range and performance differences. It will hold the best resale value after AP. Just check the resale difference between BMW 328 and 335, pretty sizable and persistent over time (at least for the first few years).

On most cars, premium package would hold very little value, but with Model 3, the base version is just so basic that premium is almost a required option... Most people expect sunroof, heated seats etc on a 50+k car... so I think it will hold value more than other cars, but less than AP or LR version.

As with almost all cars, the base version with $0 options always holds highest % resale value.

Do you have any stats on what percentage of S and X buyers include autopilot? I can't even imagine paying so much for autopilot. It's just a convenience feature. $5k for a single convenience feature is a ton of money on a $35k car.

And if you don't get it at the start, a 20% increase in its price isn't that huge of a difference.

Reactions: palmer_md
AP is at the top. Pretty much all Teslas have AP. Without AP, it costs 6 - 10k to activate depending on the state of AP at the moment. Basically any buyer would just subtract at least 6k from your car's value. I know I would, since that's how much I would need to pay to activate it. The range upgrade is a model difference like BMW 330 vs. 340i with both range and performance differences. It will hold the best resale value after AP. Just check the resale difference between BMW 328 and 335, pretty sizable and persistent over time (at least for the first few years).

On most cars, premium package would hold very little value, but with Model 3, the base version is just so basic that premium is almost a required option... Most people expect sunroof, heated seats etc on a 50+k car... so I think it will hold value more than other cars, but less than AP or LR version.

As with almost all cars, the base version with $0 options always holds highest % resale value.

This is with an assumption that Tesla won't change the price down the line. I wouldn't be surprised several years down the line if the cost for this option goes down. Tesla has changed prices before (which left prior purchasers upset).

But as other manufacturers enter the arena with competitive cars, I would assume Tesla will respond with lower prices in certain areas...but of course, this is all just my own opinion...

Everyone's AP equiv (actually not equiv since they are functionally worse) costs a LOT as well...

For MB C class, driver assistance package costs 3300 but requires 2200 multimedia package, so that's 5500.

On Audi A4, you get ACC and other assist features only in the Prestige trim, which is $9500 above base...

Both the C class and A4 are pretty new and traditional German carmakers don't change options or prices significantly for an entire generation.

Honestly until ACC + assists cost way less on other premium brands, there's no reason for Tesla to lower price on AP, which has superior functions.

Now that I think more about it, yes I think AP will be less prevalent on Model 3's since it is very costly as a % of the base price of the car. So resale value of AP will be less compared to Model S/X.

I guess my real questionshould have been....if there were 2 Model 3's up for sale, would someone opt for the base with higher range for a little more money, or the pup with lower range? I know when i bought my used Model S I wanted the 85 over the 60 for range but it also had to have the tech package.

That's a tough one. I know that early model S's without the Tech package sell for significantly less than their tech package counterparts even through the CPO program on Tesla's website. But range is king. Although I think percentage-wise 60s have suffered less depreciation than the top o' the line cars with P models suffering the most. (Which I have taken advantage of twice now - once for a P85 1/2 off from what the original owner paid and recently buying a 2015 P85D for $75.5k which was $127k new.)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is PUP in this context, please?

Pup - Wikipedia

Which would you rather buy for the same price?

85 with no Tech package
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CN8DFP16610 | Tesla

60 with the Tech package
60 kWh Model S 5YJSA1CG7DFP22562 | Tesla

I guess I would go for the 60 just because the Tech package has so many must haves (nav, homelink, memory seats, power liftgate)

But maybe other folks would pay more for the bigger battery on a 3 vs having power seats.

Reactions: Robert831
Was dead set on the first production version and even saved it as my preference as soon as I could.

I had always had the bigger battery as the no-brainer priority option to get.
AWD was my 2nd highest ranked option but I'm not waiting for that.
then after adding it all up and sleeping on it....

I've changed my mind. I am choosing options over battery and I am going to (gulp) wait for the standard battery and I'm going to 'pimp it out' as they say.

This way I can comfortably add the PUP + wheels + red multi-coat... and even debate the EAP (enhanced auto-pilot) which I look at as the most Tesla-ish option to add to these Tesla cars if that makes sense. I'm out on full auto though.
Plus I'm seeing that more interior options might become available if I wait...I heard white is next (ugh?) ...I want tan.

Reactions: Robert831