Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Better? Refreshed Model S or Free Unlimited Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S coming in March and I couldn't be more excited, but I can hold off on the order for the new 2019 Model S after the refresh. However, I will likely lose the free unlimited supercharging incentive I got when I ordered it...Is it worth it?

bigger question is probably is the waiting for the refresh. I am really glad I didn't give in to that worry... but what size battery are you thinking of getting? If it's the 75, I say go for it now.

Pricing or Supercharging is pretty reasonable. It's what you pay for electricity anyways. So in the end it's not a big deal. Unless you drive a lot of road trips. Then it adds up. I did the math and in the past 4 years I saved about $7500 in electricity cost just driving road trips.

Pricing or Supercharging is pretty reasonable. It's what you pay for electricity anyways. So in the end it's not a big deal. Unless you drive a lot of road trips. Then it adds up. I did the math and in the past 4 years I saved about $7500 in electricity cost just driving road trips.
That's unbelievable. I'd be really curious to hear how much folks have saved that do frequent long distance commuting... I met a guy at the San Marcos supercharger almost a year ago that goes between san antonio and waco several times a week.

However, I will likely lose the free unlimited supercharging incentive I got when I ordered it...Is it worth it?
It really depends on your driving habits. If you'll be supercharging daily or several times a week then there's definitely a benefit to the free supercharging. If you'll only really be supercharging on trips a few times a year then I wouldn't let free supercharging be a deciding factor.

For example, last year I supercharged 21 times and I have a 75. Let's say I charged from 0 to 100 each time (I didn't) and the electricity cost $0.15/kWh (likely lower). That's only $236.25. So for me, the free supercharging isn't a huge benefit. For others, like those above, it has saved them a good bit of change.

Edit: You can look up supercharger costs here:
Supercharging

It really depends on your driving habits. If you'll be supercharging daily or several times a week then there's definitely a benefit to the free supercharging. If you'll only really be supercharging on trips a few times a year then I wouldn't let free supercharging be a deciding factor.

For example, last year I supercharged 21 times and I have a 75. Let's say I charged from 0 to 100 each time (I didn't) and the electricity cost $0.15/kWh (likely lower). That's only $236.25. So for me, the free supercharging isn't a huge benefit. For others, like those above, it has saved them a good bit of change.

Edit: You can look up supercharger costs here:
Supercharging
Yeah it's probably something that matters to me I go away every/every other weekend a few hundred miles.

You should be able to calculate how much unlimited supercharging is worth to you. However unless you do a crazy amount of roadtripping or abuse your local superchargers, its probably only a couple hundred bucks.

Now the refresh could be amazing or it could be ho-hum, or it could even be worse. Its not something that exists yet.

If you're worried about having the latest and greatest why not just lease it? Then even if a new one comes amount that is amazing you can upgrade in a year or two.

You should be able to calculate how much unlimited supercharging is worth to you. However unless you do a crazy amount of roadtripping or abuse your local superchargers, its probably only a couple hundred bucks.

Now the refresh could be amazing or it could be ho-hum, or it could even be worse. Its not something that exists yet.

If you're worried about having the latest and greatest why not just lease it? Then even if a new one comes amount that is amazing you can upgrade in a year or two.
I completely agree. I am actually leasing as I want to see my options when the lease is up and possibly buy it if there’s nothing more inticing, but I definitely want unlimited super charging since I will probably just feel better knowing I have that free unlimited driving and I have 15k miles a year. With that being said, if a refresh is the last Q of 2018 or early 2019 I’ll definitely just get it now, but if it’s coming in the next few weeks/months id kick myself for not waiting. Especially because the MCU on the tablet is so outdated.

I gave up free Supercharging, ventilated seats, and paid an extra $3500 to switch from an X90D to a X100D when they first became available after I had placed my X90D order. So I'm all for buying the latest. It cost me $155, plus my free 400 kWh's, in Supercharger costs during a 5500 mile cross-country trip. Tesla at one time charged $2000 for optional unlimited Supercharging. I'd say it's value to me would be a little less to me, with maybe 10k in Supercharger travel per year.

Soon after that trip Tesla gave all existing owners free Supercharging and refunded my $155! So I'm one of a few owners who really did get free Supercharging, not part of the purchase price and no pay as you go.

I am actually leasing as I want to see my options when the lease is up and possibly buy it if there’s nothing more inticing, but I definitely want unlimited super charging since I will probably just feel better knowing I have that free unlimited driving and I have 15k miles a year.

Keep in mind the mileage is never actually free, even if the supercharging is. For leasing the cost for a 15k mile lease vs a 12k mile lease was about 24 cents per mile (at least on the quotes I was given). The overage cost on both of those was 25 cents a mile.

This is also true for purchases, although since it doesn't come around until its time to sell the car it can be hidden and much harder to calculate.