Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Better? Refreshed Model S or Free Unlimited Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind the mileage is never actually free, even if the supercharging is. For leasing the cost for a 15k mile lease vs a 12k mile lease was about 24 cents per mile (at least on the quotes I was given). The overage cost on both of those was 25 cents a mile.

This is also true for purchases, although since it doesn't come around until its time to sell the car it can be hidden and much harder to calculate.

True, it is about .16 cents a mile since it's another $40 per month at the moment, but I drive quite a bit.. at least 15k miles per year and i'd hate to have to pay for supercharging on top of the .16 per mile.

The facelift S is a beautiful vehicle. Most car companies refresh there vehicles every 5 years or so. You could be waiting another 2 or 3 years waiting on a refresh and whose to say you will like the looks of the refresh. My opinion Tesla is focus on the 3, Y, semi etc. I wouldn’t expect a refresh until 2020 or 2021
Yes, that’s kind of what I was thinking. I’m also leasing the car so if a new one comes out that’s much better in a few years I can just trade up then, but I guess my concern is more around the blind spot monitors and the MCU of the touchscreen. Mostly want the BSM for my parents because they are in their late 60s and love taking road trips, it would be nice to be able to loan them the car for that, but I want to insure it has all the safety features it needs, which for the most part it is completely covered- just a little frustrating that with all of Tesla’s advanced safety tech they kinda shat the bed on that one. I understand the the mirrors can be adjusted to eliminate that, but it adds that extra lawyer of security. The computer chip that’s running on the model S is a bit outdated too, and I run a tech company so I know that will drive me crazy!!

It’s not. I’m not sure why this is an issue. Maybe some of the MCUs out they aren’t up to snuff for some reason. Mines fine and the browser is usable other than it doesn’t save passwords, making it too inconvenient for sites that require a login.
It’s not terribly slow, it just bafflles me that it uses a slower processor than a model 3. The starting price for the MS is over 2x the M3 as well and I’m sure it’s a fantastic car..just I would expect the MS to be better if not at least at par in terms of tech.

Before the 100D's were released, Tesla was going to discontinue the FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging program) and offer a limited amount of free charging per year (about 1000 miles?). We could buy a new P100D and get FUSC or we could wait to get the 100D without FUSC.

Based on the amount of road trips we take each year, I estimated the savings for us per year would have been about $400 with FUSC vs. having to pay for excess supercharging each year. Even if we held the car for 8 years - that $3200 savings wasn't anywhere close to the extra cost of the P100D (plus the P100D has less range than the 100D).

Tesla has the data on supercharger use. The intent of eliminating FUSC was to encourage people to only use the superchargers for long distance driving - so the amount of free supercharging per year was likely around or above the average of Tesla customers.

Since then, they appear to have backed off - and are now installing urban superchargers to support those Tesla customers that can't easily do overnight charging.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla eventually move to a model where FUSC will always be provided for S/X and the lower priced 3/Y models will have to pay-as-you-go.

Unless you do a huge amount of long distance driving or need to use an urban supercharger, it's likely the savings from having FUSC isn't going to be large...

I have 20,000km which is around 12,000 miles and I have only supercharged once although I am planning on my first road trip with my car this summer.... Something I would consider though is that the MCU and the center console is due for a overhaul so do you think saving potentially less than $100 a year worth having a somewhat laggy and outdated MCU and a fairly poorly designed center console?

I have 20,000km which is around 12,000 miles and I have only supercharged once although I am planning on my first road trip with my car this summer.... Something I would consider though is that the MCU and the center console is due for a overhaul so do you think saving potentially less than $100 a year worth having a somewhat laggy and outdated MCU and a fairly poorly designed center console?
I completely agree the MCU despiretly needs an update..especially now that the 3 is running a faster processor. But I actually just saw on their website that free supercharging is back according to the refreshed model s order page. It clearly says receive free super charging with a referral. So I may just get a used one in the mean time while I wait for the refresh.

Reactions: P85Dave
Model S - when would we expect version 3?

1- after tax credits end
2- when they actually have a competitor (25%-33% share in luxury sedan in most markets)
3- when current demand flattens or show indication of decline. (Tesla gets orders 24hrs./day - they know)

MAYBE we just continue "continuous improvement". Others have done it before - see below link
Don't need model year. That was just an old school business model.
Tesla doesn't need to disrupt their own sales.

How many Model S will be built? Think you'll enjoy checking out this list. Even the Corvair got 1.8 million.
(side note: GM made 2 Corvair EV prototypes, sorry I lost the links, you'll have to find on your own.)
List of automobile sales by model - Wikipedia

And perhaps this was the "biggest" introduction that can compare to Model 3 ??
Citroen DS 1,455,746; sold 12,000 in a single day upon release at the 1955 Paris Motor Show
(and all the orders had to be hand written - pretty amazing, right?)

and just to note a couple of "refreshes" that never made production - enjoy
Chevrolet Corvair Super Spyder XP-785 Concept Car (1962) – Old Concept Cars
Chevrolet Corvair Testudo (1963) – Old Concept Cars

and a conversion
Electrovair III – Electric Corvair

Last edited:
That's unbelievable. I'd be really curious to hear how much folks have saved that do frequent long distance commuting... I met a guy at the San Marcos supercharger almost a year ago that goes between san antonio and waco several times a week.

lots of trips FL to NC and back so 33K of my 40K charging has come at SC's....haven't done the math but its significant.

Reactions: buttershrimp
It’s not terribly slow, it just bafflles me that it uses a slower processor than a model 3. The starting price for the MS is over 2x the M3 as well and I’m sure it’s a fantastic car..just I would expect the MS to be better if not at least at par in terms of tech.

Yeah, I agree. I was hoping that newer cars (like mine which was built in Feb ander Model 3) will have the newer processor. Not sure if it does and if there is a way to check.