TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's better saving money on gas?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by TexasRat, Jul 26, 2018.

1. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Saving money on electricity to charge my car!

Plugged in at work for the first time today and was happy that my chargepoint account was properly set up. Just had to share :D

$50/yr for unlimited charging at all chargepoint stations in the city. I love this car! :D (though it technically is for any EV)

IMG_0773.PNG

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

i paid over $85 in gasoline on a business trip last week in an ICE rental for 4 days worth of driving. Was super annoyed. Thats basically my entire month's power bill.

• Like x 1
  3. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

You must have done some serious driving in 4 days to rack up an $85 bill

4. _jmk

_jmk Member

Here in Finland that 85$ would get you half a tank for average SUV. It would probably take you 200miles or so. Electricity goes for 8c/kWh.

• Funny x 2
  5. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Our electricity costs are typically $.03 to $.04 per mile - pretty cheap...

6. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Congrats on your first charge. Chargepoint sent me an email saying "I kicked gas" after my first charge.

Of course there are downsides to being an EV owner. I realized that the windshield on my Model X was getting much dirtier than my ICE car. Then I realized I did not buy gas so never cleaned the windows while waiting for the tank to fill.:D

And since switching over to driving the Tesla day to day, the best thing is I really don't care about the price of gas any more. $2.50/gal. $3.00/gal, $3.50/gal, whatever.:cool:

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  7. boelkers

boelkers Member

I love the conversations around the office or family gatherings talking/complaining about the gas price. I have no idea the price of gas and its so fun to throw that into the convo. Or to boast the "MPG" my car gets :cool:

• Love x 2
  8. Ghanziang

Ghanziang Member

How did you get the $50/yr? That seems like a good deal if you do have a ChargePoint station near you.

9. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Ell Zee One, when the twins alit.

It's offered by the utility Austin Energy, it's easiest for their customers but I signed up as a convenience since I travel there pretty often.

• Like x 3
  10. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Dang electricity must be cheap in Baton Rouge. Just keeping the lights on and AC running in my house runs $250+/mo during the summer, before I started charging the Tesla! Then there is the $200 water bill.... Got to replace some of the lawns with gravel.

• Funny x 1
  11. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

about 450 miles worth. Infiniti Q50 too, so required premium gasoline. Yes i know its a rental who cares, but whatever.

Yeah CA prices are insane, my parents live there and i've seen the rates. Its somewhere between 8-10c/kwh here. I'm out of the house most of the time too so it just sits and does nothing.

12. dethman

dethman Member

wow that's a great deal.

• Love x 1
  13. Need

Need Active Member

I signed up for ChargePoint and Blink 8 months ago. I thought I would have to use it on longer trips when there is no Supercharger around. So far I have not need to use any of them yet. :p Wonder if I should do a test charge just to see if the account works LOL.