Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's changed since MY2013?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
I'm on the fence between ordering a S60 and an (early, I'm guessing) CPO 2013 P85... It looks like with the CPO, I'd be giving up a few things from the S60 like autopilot, LTE, and rear cupholders/USB. Since this is only going to be a bridge until I my Model 3 number gets called, I'd be disappointed, but could probably live without Autopilot for 2 years.

Is there anything else I should know about a 2013 P85? (reliability? SAS is a plus/minus?) And does anyone know how well they recondition the CPO cars?

(sorry if this is the wrong subforum, but I figure that there's a wider model year spread in here than in the ordering subforum)

I purchased a used P85 that has SAS. I have been extremely happy with my purchase. I was replacing our trip car so I wanted an 85kw battery. Would love to have autopilot but the cost was too much for me. Now, after driving a Performance version it would be hard to go back to anything less then a 90. I wouldn't recommend test driving anything faster then a 60 if that's an option.

I purchased a 2013 CPO P85 and I am extremely pleased. I was able to upgrade to LTE and I am going to add folding mirrors. I don't have AP or front/rear parking sensors. But at about 60% of the cost of a new car, it made perfect sense to me.

With regard to the prep of the car, it is all dependent upon where the car was prepped. Even though I picked mine up in Fremont, after a very close inspection, I had a laundry list of items that needed to be addressed. One of them was a deal breaker, but Tesla agreed to correct everything. The service center in Van Nuys did a great job of fixing everything.

I don't have AP or front/rear parking sensors.

My 2013 P85 was also before parking sensors were available (moaning about what a Model S had or did not have was so much more basic back then)

I purchased the sensors from Tesla and had them installed by a 3rd party then had Tesla activate them (It took some effort as my local Tesla dealer did not want to touch this project)
I think it cost around $1500 but if you do want them you need to check you have the wiring harness and that your local dealer will activate them .
Artsci helped me figure out is my car was wired.

I jlust picked up my late 2013 MS (11/13 build date). It has folding mirrors and parking sensors. The sales rep was quick to point out that these features were added during the production year and that it was unusual to find a car like this. Most of the CPO cars were earlier builds. Mine is a 26xxx VIN. It does not have the new car smell and the didn't vacuum under the console carpet. But the car had the MXM tires, which are also an upgrade. I've had it a few days and enjoy driving it. Takes a little getting used to, particularly the regen braking. There are also features found on my BMW that are not present on the Tesla, but I have not regretted the decision. Felt that I got a fair price for both my trade-in and my Tesla. The purchase transaction was certainly simple enough. I've bought 9 BMWs since 2001 along with at least 3 other cars and the Tesla transaction was the easiest, followed by my eBay purchases. Dealership purchases basically suck. It shouldn't be hand to hand combat to buy a car, let alone a supposed high end brand like BMW.

You can sift through my post history if you like, I tried to share all the helpful details of my purchase.

I decided to buy a 2013 P85 from a private party. I'd highly suggest that to anyone living in California, as there seems to be a pretty good selection here.

I still have close to 5yrs + 65k miles warranty. The nice thing is with a little patience, and a little work, I probably saved $10k less than the comparable CPO price and have more warranty.

AP is the biggest thing that I feel like I'm missing. Although, once you realize that, you realize that if you *need* to buy new, then AP is totally worth $3k. But if you're buying used, a lot of those other features not on 2013s don't mean that much, and suddenly the cost to get AP starts looking more like $30k. That's why I went used and don't regret it. (For the record, my commute would hardly benefit from AP anyway)

I'll also add. Air suspension is probably the biggest surprise in a good way. I lost count loong ago of how many places my car will now automatically raise. Parking lots everywhere have really steep entrances and speed bumps. It's super useful in that regard.

Going in, I wasn't sure if no air suspension would have been a deal breaker, but now I know it would be for me.

Premium audio is also a must have in my book (I like music).

And I thought I was willing to take a regular 85 if I found the right one, knowing that I didn't "need" a P85, but felt that the price jump to get that "P" in the used market was a pretty good value. I'm really glad I did. It's just that much more fun, and better resale value, for not that much more money.

i have a late Dec 2013 production S85, no AP. They put new tires on, new mats, and the rear deck in the hatch... they did a decent job cleaning it up, but it needs a good detail, especially the paint, and headliner... but i have three little kids, so no matter how hard i try it gets dirty...
The biggest issue i have had is the lack of forthcoming on the history of the car...the car has had lots of work on it prior to me, but i have had to pull teeth to get any sort of information from TESLA about it... No CAR FACTS to speak of...

But i dont regret the purchase, and compared to new, well it wasn't an option...

I jlust picked up my late 2013 MS (11/13 build date). It has folding mirrors and parking sensors. The sales rep was quick to point out that these features were added during the production year and that it was unusual to find a car like this. Most of the CPO cars were earlier builds. Mine is a 26xxx VIN. It does not have the new car smell and the didn't vacuum under the console carpet. But the car had the MXM tires, which are also an upgrade. I've had it a few days and enjoy driving it. Takes a little getting used to, particularly the regen braking. There are also features found on my BMW that are not present on the Tesla, but I have not regretted the decision. Felt that I got a fair price for both my trade-in and my Tesla. The purchase transaction was certainly simple enough. I've bought 9 BMWs since 2001 along with at least 3 other cars and the Tesla transaction was the easiest, followed by my eBay purchases. Dealership purchases basically suck. It shouldn't be hand to hand combat to buy a car, let alone a supposed high end brand like BMW.
I bought my 2013 in 11/2013, VIN slightly lower than yours. It didn't have "the new car smell" even when it was new. It didn't smell like anything, really.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Car-Smel...qid=1473796454&sr=1-17&keywords=new+car+smell

upload_2016-9-13_12-55-44.png

You can buy the smell $15