Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats comparable to The Tesla Mobile Connector On Amazon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, new here, model Y performance coming in 2 weeks and i drive about 30 miles a day, actually more like 20, so I decided i wanted to go with the mobile connector on a 110 outlet but I have been waiting and tesla never got more in, they've been sold out for so long. Are there any options to charge it on amazon? Sorry im new to all this.

Hey guys, new here, model Y performance coming in 2 weeks and i drive about 30 miles a day, actually more like 20, so I decided i wanted to go with the mobile connector on a 110 outlet but I have been waiting and tesla never got more in, they've been sold out for so long. Are there any options to charge it on amazon? Sorry im new to all this.

Not anything you would want to use, for any less money than the mobile connector. Everything else is going to be a wall connector type deal.

The low end of the electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE) market has many offerings of 120V/240V EVSE that enable charging at up to 16 amps on a 20 amp circuit. Many of these EVSEs come with a 120V plug adapter in addition to the 6-20 240V/20 amp plug adapter. These portable EVSE start at ~$200 US. Search Amazon for "16 amp EVSE"

Lectron
Zencar
Schumacher

Are you sure yours isn’t coming with one, was it ordered after 4/17/22? I thought any of the ones affected were prompted at deposit to allow them to add one to the purchase. I can’t imagine they’re going to let you go without any charging option.

This is going to sound crazy, but consider getting the Wall Connector - now let me explain.

The mobile connector is $200 (if it does not come with your car) and you may need to swap out the breakert for a GFIC breaker, say $35-$45, and some sort of cable management system for say another $35, this totals $270 or so, the wall connector at $400 which is $130 more and is available today. Also, while that 120v 15-amp circuit meets your needs today what about the future? The wall connector supports circuits of 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 amps. Adding a 14-50 outlet later will run you $50-$80 for the outlet, $100-150 for a GFIC breaker and another $45 for the 14-50 adapter, at which point your total cost for the outlet and mobile connector is more than a wall connector.

Just offered for your consideration.

Reactions: Halldawg and msee67
You say "coming in 2 weeks" - so you have a VIN? If you don't have a VIN assigned, then you've got an EDD, just to be pedantic.

You may also want to ask the local SC if they'll have a mobile connector charger available for sale, at the time you take delivery, before giving up on the official Tesla charger.

This is going to sound crazy, but consider getting the Wall Connector - now let me explain.

The mobile connector is $200 (if it does not come with your car) and you may need to swap out the breakert for a GFIC breaker, say $35-$45, and some sort of cable management system for say another $35, this totals $270 or so, the wall connector at $400 which is $130 more and is available today. Also, while that 120v 15-amp circuit meets your needs today what about the future? The wall connector supports circuits of 15, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 amps. Adding a 14-50 outlet later will run you $50-$80 for the outlet, $100-150 for a GFIC breaker and another $45 for the 14-50 adapter, at which point your total cost for the outlet and mobile connector is more than a wall connector.

Just offered for your consideration.
You're grossly simplifying here imo, a 14-50 outlet can cost a hell of a lot more than $50-80 for the outlet and $100-150 for the breaker. These are rough part costs assuming someone is able to do the work themselves. What about the permit, wiring and conduit costs?

You're grossly simplifying here imo, a 14-50 outlet can cost a hell of a lot more than $50-80 for the outlet and $100-150 for the breaker. These are rough part costs assuming someone is able to do the work themselves. What about the permit, wiring and conduit costs?

You are just adding to my point. Since the OP will be using a 5-15 outlet there is no permit, wiring or conduit. If he expands then there are additional costs for a permit, wiring and maybe a conduit, as well as the electrician’s bill, but this will apply to both options. And the prices I mentioned are about right for the 14-50 and breaker. Of course they can vary based on where you live.