TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What's considered an "early VIN" car?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by rjdoc74, Jan 14, 2017.

1. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I just bought inventory MX with a huge discount and VIN 25xx. Is there a good chance i will spend a lot of time at the SC?

• Like x 1
  2. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Congratulations.

Don't worry, be happy.

Our 2013 Tesla Model S is an early VIN 006xxx and has been awesome to own and drive.
    Service appointments are just a chance to try out a PxxD loaner from time to time...

• Like x 1
  3. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thank you! Makes me feel better:)

Also, based on reading this awesome forum, I should be getting automatic rear spoiler on my 90D :)

4. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

#4 Derek Kessler, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Short answer: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Long answer: Maybe, maybe not. Some cars seem afflicted with nothing but trouble. A friend got a Model X Founders Edition (the very first cars off the line) and, aside from a single trip to the Service Center to re-align the falcon wing doors, it's been practically flawless.

5. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thanks. I went back and forth with this. It seems to me that even late and most recent cars are having issues. So getting a late VIN car doesn't necessarily guarantee a trouble free experience. I guess I am the kind of guy who can't pass up a "deal". I got $19,100 off the price. We shall see.

• Like x 2
  6. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I think you will love it-hope you don't get to know the service center too well. They are great though!

7. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

$19K off?!?! At that price it could spend weeks at the SC and I think I'd be okay so long as I got a comparable loaner.

8. spentan

spentan Active Member

I have S917, and 2007 and 2201.

We've had our fair share of issues. Though Service has been great with everything, I have 2 more Xes on order now, which should be in the 30000s :)

Will be interesting to compare.

• Like x 2
  9. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Congratulations...enjoy your Wonderful X right now..CLUE to your question...if you spend a lot of time in SC you are an early vin..just kidding. :p. Welcome to the TESLA and model X community.

10. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I am already anticipating dirty worn tires, broken FWD latches, misaligned panels, dirty seats, etc. My expectations are low :)

11. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

My VIN is in the lower 000200's. In the first 10 months it had been in for service 177 days and there is at least another 6-8 weeks of work to be done. Based on what I have read I am the winner of having the worst lemon award. Tesla is allowing me to order a replacement. It should arrive in March. The problems just never ends. I am sure they will just resell it and someone will think they are getting a deal as it only has 4K miles on it.

12. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

They can probably resell it as a CPO, but not as previously unregistered inventory car? Or am I wrong?

13. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

My VIN is 15xx and has spent very little time (hours) at the SC. So it just depends I guess.

• Like x 1
  14. TWBC

TWBC Supporting Member

I have VIN 00056x and in the past 10 months of ownership it has probably been in the service center about 3 weeks combined.

15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Our VIN21451 has been trouble-free, to all extents and purposes.

16. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thank you all! Much appreciated.

17. Yinn

Yinn Member

It's supposed to be tagged with a manufacturer buyback/lemon title if that's the case. They could still resell it, but it would be branded

18. Kart

Kart New Member

I have a similar situation. Early VIN and I have been debating if I am past the issues point or should I just get a new one. I know the new one does not have unlimited supper charging and a small price to pay on top.

19. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

I was guarantee by the Regional Service Manager in writing that I would have free Supercharger miles for life. It happens it is being delivered in Early March. I believe the cutoff was suppose to be April 1. I never heard this date changed.

20. Kart

Kart New Member

Is it the same as paying the price for the miles on the car that is being returned and then pay the new price on the cost vs. what we paid originally. Which means we are paying more.