Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's different from Model Y 2020 & 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The single paned windows don’t bother us, so we’re planning to accept delivery tomorrow. We’re getting ceramic tint throughout, which will reject more heat than this upgrade. (Double paned windows probably won’t do much to offset heat introduced through the all-glass roof!) We’re also satisfied with the current level of cabin noise.

The car is perfect for fit and finish. No service appointment items. We’re looking forward to enjoying it!

Reactions: tomicjr and jpfive
I wish Tesla had made a clean transition to double paned windows with the 2020/2021 switch. If I had to guess, they bought enough to last them through Q3 and then used the remaining supply until they ran out.

Not ideal for consumers, but smart business sense.

This is incredibly frustrating. Why is it that the SAs give incorrect info? There should be no universe that sales reps are not familiar with their products!
I agree it’s definitely not ideal. It may have been a misunderstanding since very few 2021s will have single paned glass.

When I mentioned the new double paned windows to the rep I was working with today, he admitted that he often reads things online before the company puts out official notices to inform their employees.

I agree it’s definitely not ideal. It may have been a misunderstanding since very few 2021s will have single paned glass.

When I mentioned the new double paned windows to the rep I was working with today, he admitted that he often reads things on Tesla forums before the company puts out official notices to inform their employees.
That seems to be the case when I went to a delivery center today and the employees there have no clue. Very dysfunctional when customers have more knowledge than the employees.

I thought Tesla doesn’t follow model years, and 2021 cars are only cars that are produced after January 1, 2021. Can someone explain this to me?
Historically, Tesla followed the calendar year (build date = model year). However, in 2019 and 2020, they began producing cars with VINs in the next calendar year beginning in October (VINs reflected 2020 and 2021 respectively).

Tesla built a few 2021 Model Ys in early/mid October that were no different than those labeled as 2020. Sometime in mid/late October, their 2021 builds began featuring double paned glass on the front two windows

Historically, Tesla followed the calendar year (build date = model year). However, in 2019 and 2020, they began producing cars with VINs in the next calendar year beginning in October (VINs reflected 2020 and 2021 respectively).

Tesla built a few 2021 Model Ys in early/mid October that were no different than those labeled as 2020. Sometime in mid/late October, their 2021 builds began featuring double paned glass on the front two windows

That is a very good explanation. With my 2016 Model X, had to wait until the next calendar year to get the actual VIN for the following year. So are you saying that if I get my car now (or say November to be safe), I can resell the car later as a 2021 car? That's the only reason I'm waiting to take delivery.

That is a very good explanation. With my 2016 Model X, had to wait until the next calendar year to get the actual VIN for the following year. So are you saying that if I get my car now (or say November to be safe), I can resell the car later as a 2021 car? That's the only reason I'm waiting to take delivery.
You can resell it as a 2021 model if that's what the VIN indicates - if position/digit 10 is "M" than it's a 2021 model. When you take delivery doesn't signify model year.