Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyone's electricity bill increase to/by?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow thanks for all the replies. Here's more info. My last period was still under a Tiered plan with screenshots below outlining my usage on that last tiered plan. After that, they rolled me over a TOU plan.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 1.53.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 1.53.56 PM.png

I also get this weird charge on top

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 1.57.08 PM.png

This is the plan they rolled me over automatically, but will switch to a better one (shown at the end)

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.02.04 PM.png

The new plan which goes into affect for me on the 14th will be this "Prime" plan below. I'll set my charger to start after 9pm and end by 8am.

Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 1.58.58 PM.png

I thought we had it bad when our cost per raw KWH had risen from .059 -> .0741 cents in the last 6 months.
We are total electric, this past month we used 1,665 KWHs of power.
Total bill with all the extra generation/transmission and spank me charges came out to $221.20.
We pick up our MYP for the second time this Thursday, can't wait to get it on the Wall Charger.

Charging at 48amps @ 240 volts is about the same as running 5 - Five Ton variable speed DC Air Conditioners at the same time, or 11,520 Watts. Just think how the crappy California grid and it’s Summer brown-outs can handle thousands of people plugging in their Go Green Teslas after work😱. The grid already can’t handle the demand in Summer!

Thats why no one should "plug in their go green teslas after work" and kick them off charging. They should set them up with scheduled charging to charge sometime in the middle of the night, after midnight.

This is exactly why the utilities penalize people in CA for charging specifically during that time, and provide cheaper electricity in the middle of the night, so that exact thing doesnt happen.

We are paying about .15/kWh off peak and .18 from 11-8 on weekdays. That’s with special pricing my utility monitors via the free ChargePoint lvl 2 charger they give you when you provide proof of purchase and registration here in VT.

It’s around .20/.23 cents without the EV charging plan. I’ve been scheduling charging for around 2.5 hours before we have to leave the house so I don’t have to precondition in the AM. I’d read you can have the car do this through the Tesla app, but haven’t figured out how to make it happen. I just use the overly simplistic scheduled charging and preconditioning settings so far… considering 3rd party apps like TeslaFi or Teslamate to get my nerd fix.

I definitely agree that charging off peak and preconditioning on the charger is the way to go.

Thats why no one should "plug in their go green teslas after work" and kick them off charging. They should set them up with scheduled charging to charge sometime in the middle of the night, after midnight.

This is exactly why the utilities penalize people in CA for charging specifically during that time, and provide cheaper electricity in the middle of the night, so that exact thing doesnt happen.
Cheaper? The TOU-D plan has a $12.00 a month base charge, and 0.54 cents from 4-9, and 0.22 cents at night after 9. The TOU plan is usless if you need to A/C your home when it’s 115F from 4-9pm. Solar is off little help after 4pm. The utilities are not yet really worried about EV charging consumption , it’s the A/C units that are causing the big consumption. When the time comes that the power hungry EV folks raise the consumption drastically after 9pm, the utilities will Jack up the rates.

• Informative
Reactions: iamnid and Exelion
Cheaper? The TOU-D plan has a $12.00 a month base charge, and 0.54 cents from 4-9, and 0.22 cents at night after 9. The TOU plan is usless if you need to A/C your home when it’s 115F from 4-9pm. Solar is off little help after 4pm. The utilities are not yet really worried about EV charging consumption , it’s the A/C units that are causing the big consumption. When the time comes that the power hungry EV folks raise the consumption drastically after 9pm, the utilities will Jack up the rates.

This is the last comment I will make on this topic in this thread, but if "solar is of little help after 4pm" was actually true based on the way solar works now with NEM 1 or 2, CA utilities would not be fighting tooth and nail to change it... but they are, so we know that isnt true.

Luckily I have Solar, so the added cost isn’t so much in the cost per KW used for charging, since I’ve always over produced ever since I’ve had solar. Now with two Tesla’s last month I had the first "positive" usage month I’ve ever had (Cost for kw consumed was greater than credit for over production) Since I’m NEM 2 I only pay for Non-Bypassable Charges (cost to deliver consumed KW for the month).

Last month my bill went from $20/mo avg. to $30. We’ll see how the rest of the year plays out.

Last edited:
I've had my MYP for 1 year now. Been comparing previous bills from the past 7 years.

The worst was a $35 dollar increase in one month compared to that same month the past 7 years.

Still going to the same job, same routes, and roughly same mileage.

I used to fill-up my last car (2016 Cadillac ATS-V 24/25mpg) once a week and it cost me between $30-$40 at ~$3.25/gallon 93 octane.

No complaints here. :)

Reactions: Arthur31 and jebinc
We are really fortunate in Quebec, Canada as electricity is as cheap as it gets in North America. I am on a dual energy plan. Bottom line is I pay only .04427/kwh (Canadian) 98% of the time all year round no matter what time it may be. Same goes for city water, $120 for a year, all I can consume, no meters. No real point in going solar in my neck of the woods.

Never bothered to figure out how much a full charge costs but it can't be more than a few dollars.

Filled up the Honda Ridgeline just yesterday, small tank for a pickup truck. Put in 63 litres (16.6 gallons) @ $1.95/l $122.85. o_O The F150 if completely empty would be $265.20

Our town has a contract with Com Ed for $0.065/kW (plus taxes and other garbage). No night/day difference. As of today, that's 1/6th the price of gas per mile. I'm happy with that. Next contract, for sure, it will be going up. I'm trying to never use gas in my PHEV.

sce usage.png

sce usage 2.png

Here's my usage. Also I should note that we received out MYP in late June 21. The months prior we basically have no cost due to solar and powerwalls. Our SCE bill is generally pretty small/reasonable. Previous to the solar/batts our bill would have been a 200+ typically and 300-400 during the summer months. Oh forgot, we only charge late at night during super off peak of .18 cents.

Took delivery Monday on my M3P, TWC installed on Tuesday 3-8-2022 and charged from ~49% up to 80%. Lots of other factors involved, but hopefully doubling my Daily KW hours isn’t a trend. Daily usage pics attached. Good thing I only drive 0-50 miles a week!

Attachments

• 71C08B88-F368-49E3-AA8A-EB85102BB163.jpeg
    71C08B88-F368-49E3-AA8A-EB85102BB163.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 69796470-093C-44B0-818F-54B9BA0C290D.jpeg
    69796470-093C-44B0-818F-54B9BA0C290D.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4