Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyone's electricity bill increase to/by?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* Rates below include delivery charges and taxes etc.

I used to pay 14c on a flat rate.
Switched to a solar days plan at 27c from 5am to 8pm, free 8pm to 5am.
Moved dryer usage etc to after 8pm, set AC to chill house down by 5am and slightly higher "during the day" temp limit as AC is the driving force in bills here in Texas heat.
This lowered my annual bill by 28%.

Then I bought two electric cars (Y and Mini) and obviously charge them after 8pm so there is no increase to my bill as the cars are charged on the free tier.

(as a warning don't go for this kind of plan just because you bought an EV, if you don't make the adjustments above your bill will go up, not down)

Reactions: laservet
Pointless to compare to people in other locations as others have pointed out due to difference in miles driven and cost of electricity. California/LA is easily 3x to 5x more than other places. Imagine if a gallon of gas was $3 in Idaho and $15 here.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Pointless to compare to people in other locations as others have pointed out due to difference in miles driven and cost of electricity. California/LA is easily 3x to 5x more than other places. Imagine if a gallon of gas was $3 in Idaho and $15 here.
Agree. There are too many variables to make a meaningful comparison. If you want to do a quick "back of the envelope" calc, according to the EPA ratings, 2022 MYLR with 19" wheels uses 265Wh/mi (or ~3.774 mi/kWh) in the city and 288 Wh/mi (or ~3.472 mi/kWh) on the highway. My understanding is that these figures account for charging losses.

So, you would take your monthly city miles divided by 3.774, which gives you kWh used for city miles, and then take your monthly highway miles divided by 3.472, which gives you kWh for your highway miles. Add the city and highway kWh figures together and that gives you total kWh. Then, multiply that by your rate per kWh and that gives you the monthly cost. Example (based on 4.33 weeks per month):

Weekly driving:
Commuting - 160 miles (40 miles, 4 days per week; 60% highway, 40% city)
Errands (groceries, kids to/from school, etc.) - 50 miles (100% city)

Total weekly highway miles:
Commuting - 96 miles (160 * 60%)

kWh for highway miles = 27.65 kWh (96/3.472)

Total weekly city miles:
Commuting - 64 miles (160 * 40%)
City - 50 miles
Total - 114 miles

kWh for city miles = 30.21 kWh (114/3.774)

Total weekly kWh = 57.86 kWh

Total monthly miles driven: 909.3 miles

Total monthly kWh = 250.53 kWh per month

Total monthly cost (@ $0.20 per kWh) = $50.11

Not bad for 909 miles.

Agree. There are too many variables to make a meaningful comparison. If you want to do a quick "back of the envelope" calc, according to the EPA ratings, 2022 MYLR with 19" wheels uses 265Wh/mi (or ~3.774 mi/kWh) in the city and 288 Wh/mi (or ~3.472 mi/kWh) on the highway. My understanding is that these figures account for charging losses.

So, you would take your monthly city miles divided by 3.774, which gives you kWh used for city miles, and then take your monthly highway miles divided by 3.472, which gives you kWh for your highway miles. Add the city and highway kWh figures together and that gives you total kWh. Then, multiply that by your rate per kWh and that gives you the monthly cost. Example (based on 4.33 weeks per month):

Weekly driving:
Commuting - 160 miles (40 miles, 4 days per week; 60% highway, 40% city)
Errands (groceries, kids to/from school, etc.) - 50 miles (100% city)

Total weekly highway miles:
Commuting - 96 miles (160 * 60%)

kWh for highway miles = 27.65 kWh (96/3.472)

Total weekly city miles:
Commuting - 64 miles (160 * 40%)
City - 50 miles
Total - 114 miles

kWh for city miles = 30.21 kWh (114/3.774)

Total weekly kWh = 57.86 kWh

Total monthly miles driven: 909.3 miles

Total monthly kWh = 250.53 kWh per month

Total monthly cost (@ $0.20 per kWh) = $50.11

Not bad for 909 miles.
That calculation does not take into account warming the battery and passenger cabin in the colder months or cooling the battery and passenger cabin in the warmer months. I would add 30% for cooling and 50% for heating.

I estimate I drive at least 900 miles a month (45 miles every weekday. Maybe 15miles on weekends) and charge every night. My bill went from about $200 at most to $470 in my last bill.. I was on a tier plan and I think charging starting at 6pm probably contributed to that high cost. I just swapped it to a TOU plan which will get cheap starting at 9pm so I hope to reduce that. But below is the energy consumption from the past few months. I picked up my Model Y perf end of December. Looks like it added another 400kWh of consumption. Does this sound about right?

View attachment 777390
I followed Tesla's recommendation of keeping the car plugged at all times for the first 3 months, and noticed the increase in my utility bill is way more than the kWh number in my car. Even accounting for COP and vampire drain, it's way more. So I stopped plugging it in and follow a routine of 30-80%. Charge it when below 30% up to 80%, and it's about once a week. Now my electricity bill is about 20% more than pre-Tesla ($210 in the summer compared to $170 before). Now I know people will tell me it's bad for your battery, but so far it hasn't manifested.

I have not noticed a material difference in my electric bill pre and post EV because the cost of electricity is low in GA relative to most states and I only drive 800-1,000 miles per month. I pay $0.05 per kWh so it costs me about $3.85 per full charge, ($11-$14 per month), and that gets me about 270 miles.

Reactions: LoneStarEve