Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyones insurance renewals this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3LR, last year with Admiral £638, this year's rip-off, sorry renewal £914. Goodbye Admiral, hello Churchill £565. I have no loyalty to any insurance company, they have no loyalty to me. Shop around every year, is my advice.
Same car. 70 yrs with 9NCB. 12,000 per annum. LV last year£685. Wanted £855 to renew. Have gone with Churchill+ at £368.

Does somebody know something that we don’t?
tried LV and they also require a Thatcham approved tracker with a current subscription.

More a case that most insurance companies don't know what we do. But admitting they could know what we do may not benefit them.

Thatcham and their relationship with insurers / the AIB is pretty interesting. Exists to reduce the cost of claims to insurers whilst also doing some safety testing, all of which has to be paid for... but not by insurers. I wish Tesla would pony up but I can't say I blame them entirely when I don't know how much Thatcham charge to test things or verify they work in a way that benefits insurers.

So, I have traded in my 2019 (69) Model 3 Performance, for a 2022 (72) Model 3 LR as of last Thursday. My insurance on the M3P last year with Churchill was £703 (3years NCB, 34 year old). I just received the renewal quote and it has increase to £966! A 37% increase despite being a year older, having an extra year's NCB and going from the equivalent of a supercar to a more reserved (if that's the right word) family saloon.

I checked the usual price comparison sites and the cheapest quotes came to around £1,100. Direct Line quoted me £1400. LV/Admiral and some others quoted in excess of £2,200!

I would have thought that going from M3P to M3LR would reduce the premium or, at worst, keep the premium similar to before. Maybe I'm just naive.

It is bonkers out there.

Not if you stated 9yrs NCB because you didn't have it on the car you were insuring...that relates to the other car. Although I have found that this year neither of my car insurers has asked for NCB proof like they have in previous years when switching - almost as if they are letting folk cheat with intent to catch them out later...( are they that devious?)
No, They are not devious like that. If someone wants to gamble telling them lies and as to invalidate the insurance down the line then that is up to them but Im sure we dont buy these expensive cars and do such a silly thing.

They are devious when they "call your cards" and try to slap you with £50 admin charges (more on this soon)

We just got the refund from Hastings for our old car (free as they wouldn’t insure the Tesla) half back on the card and the other half in a cheque!?!?

Glad we didn’t go with them in the end, seem like the sort of company that would try and wriggle out of any claim!

How does the renewal price compare to what you paid last year?

Of interest to me as mine runs out with them in November.
In answer to my own question which I think M3LRblack may have missed;

Peugeot renewal has landed - increased from £303 last year to £396 this time. Puts them pretty much on a par with the best offers from Go Compare and Direct Line, leaving aside Telematcs versions.

The government is wrong with its 10% inflation figure that it keeps going on about. Most people know it's more like 25% !!
I know people that have had renewals cheaper than last year, sadly not Tesla owners. Tesla premiums are going up, no doubt because of the costs and delays to replace windscreens and huge repair bills if you are involved in an accident.