Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyone's take on our nav system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only advantage to the trip planner is that you can know in advance how long your charging stop needs to be to get to the next stop. That's all I could find.

If my trip is Home->SpC A->SpC B -> Destination. I set my trip planner to SpC B, and it'll tell me how long I need to charge at A. And even this doesn't always work as the trip planner can do some crazy stuff

Sorry, this doesn't make sense to me. With the trip planner disabled, you still get all that functionality. You put the supercharger you plan to stop at as your destination, and the energy graph will show you the usage for the whole trip, when you get there you change the destination to "B" and it shows you that energy graph. I'm not sure what the dance of having the car add charging stops just so you can remove them again gets you.
You may have a good point there. I only just discovered you can turn off the (beta) trip planner feature under Settings > Apps. Based on what you're saying, this is equivalent to what I've been doing with the extra step of "Remove all charging stops," so will give it a try and see if I notice any difference.

I'm afraid I haven't figured out how to calculate round trip information in either mode, am I missing something? (because I agree that would be very handy!)
You select a destination, and the nav panel comes up showing the route with the estimated arrival time at the very bottom. Clicking on that bottom part of the panel shows a popup with the estimated charge level you'll have at the destination, plus the estimated charge level if you do a round trip (and if you don't have enough to make a round trip, it will tell you that charging is required to get back.)

It's OK. Not the least bit great:

-ETA estimation is completely off, even though it considers traffic. I can be on a clogged interstate, driving 18 miles and it will say 24 minutes when I know it will be 45, as it always turns out to be.
-No waypoints. My 2006 Acura had that.
-No multiple route suggestions. Same here for the Acura.
-I think I am just dumb, but I find the turn instructions to be confusing. Can't really explain why.
-It takes FOREVER to show the traffic on the map. So long that I usually lose the chance to change my route before missing the turnoff.
-Refresh is painfully slow when panning the route to see how things look.

But a great center and pop up display and it is very fast to calculate the basic route.

Many complaints are from the early days. It has gotten better with each update. I still think that Waze is better, but Tesla's navigation isn't that bad. Depending on where you go it might work just fine or not so well. Here in Los Angeles car pool lanes or express lanes make a big difference. Tesla's navigation seems to be completely unaware of it while Waze is. Since I can use both the HOV and express lanes I can't reply on Tesla's navigation in those cases. Everywhere else I use it most of the time. The energy prediction is definitely a huge plus for Tesla's navigation. When it comes to road closures or being up to date, Tesla's navigation is always far behind.

Totally agree. I tend to use the Nav and then add Waze or Google maps on my phone and pipe the audio over Bluetooth.

The only problem I have with mine is that it tries to "re-route" me to surface streets when the Freeways are packed. The problem is, it seems to assume you are stuck in Traffic and not using the HOV lane. I always use the HOV lane when the Freeways are packed. I have tried using the Alternate route that Google suggests and it was actually much faster to just stay on the Freeway in the HOV lane, versus the alternate route.

Soooo.... my question is, is there...

A. A way to tell the NAV that I am using the HOV lane

or

B. A way to turn OFF the auto-rerouting

My own (limited) experience is that the Nav system is "pretty good." But I never had a built-in navigation system before, nor have I owned a GPS. (Well, my spouse has one, and we have used it on some trips, so I have used GPS units.)
I have not really had any problems with it (at least, not so far as I know).
I do not commute to work, though, so I lack the perspective of daily users of the same route who may discover system shortcomings faster than I.

I would prefer not to have another device (i.e., a GPS or a phone) fastened to the dash somewhere. I like that the next navigation actions are in the instrument cluster and that I do not need to look at the larger screen unless I want to.
Another feature I like is the ability to orient the map on the big screen three different ways, and make it full screen as well, when you need to/want to.
Admittedly, I have once or twice heard turn instructions spoken a bit late, but in those cases I could see the turn on the screen so I was OK.
Personally, I have found the arrival time estimates to be pretty good, if you allow for the fact that they can and do get re-calculated as situations change along the route.
One tip someone else made that I found helpful: Set your minimum time to re-route for traffic to something like 5 or 10 minutes, and the system will be less likely to send you on some obscure route that seems counter-intuitive or unfamiliar.

One tip someone else made that I found helpful: Set your minimum time to re-route for traffic to something like 5 or 10 minutes, and the system will be less likely to send you on some obscure route that seems counter-intuitive or unfamiliar.

I think increasing this number would result in less reroutes and it only works with commuting between home and work or visa versa.

This is from the current 7.x manual:
"Model S can also monitor traffic to your work location (on weekday mornings) and to your home location (on weekday evenings) and advise you if there is a better route in situations where traffic conditions will cause a delay. You can set the time savings required before the advice is given by touching Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation > Min Improvement for Commute Advice.
Note: Commute advice is available only if you have saved a Home and Work Location (see Favorite Destinations on page 111)"

Not sure if this was already posted but took my first long trip with the new route planner. This ain't exactly a Tesla feedback forum but for lack of knowing where else to post, here goes.

First off, my trip has two major routes: I-95 or the Eastern Shore. I couldn't seem to find a way to say: "No thank you to I-95 stress & insanity & the 2 impossibly tight stalls at the Bethesda mall on Christmas Eve. I'd much prefer the sleepy Eastern Shore even if it is more miles." Best I could do was just Nav to the Salisbury supercharger as a single destination.

Minor point, I guess. Maybe there is a way to tailor superchargers I am unaware of.

Other oddity. I charged at Norfolk, VA until Tessie said I had enough to reach my destination. Then I charged for about 5 more minutes to get up to my standard 40 mile comfort buffer.

So I'm halfway down the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel and Nav starts telling me I need to turn around and go back to Norfolk. Um.......no. Delete supercharger. Did the same thing on the way back. I kept an eye on the new range tab, never let it get lower than ~12% remaining at destination. Arrived with about 30 miles left, no sweat.

I have a love / hate relationship with my NAV system. I call her Miss Direction. :wink:

Occasionally her suggested routes are a little strange, hence her name. Recently I was driving from Tampa to Sarasota and she came up with an unusal route that avoided the main inter-state highway and took us on back roads. We checked the map for traffic and even zoomed in and found none so we proceeded to ignore her recommendation. What I failed to do was bring up Waze on the display to check for traffic until it was too late. When we proceeded to take I-75 there were two major stop-and-go traffic jams along our route that were confirmed by Waze and unfortuately personal experience.

So Miss Direction was correct, but she mislead us by not displaying the traffic that she was avoiding. In the future, I'll take her suggestions more seriously, but confirm them with Waze.

Larry

@Larry "So Miss Direction was correct, but she mislead us by not displaying the traffic that she was avoiding."

Yeah... apart from "the turn around and go back" thing I actually do follow Tessie's route corrections and find them useful. It has already taught me several shortcuts on my commute I never bother to learn and I'm pretty sure it saved me time on my holiday trip.

Like someone else noticed, I do see it "recalculating" a bit often though: I'm altering the route. Pray I don't alter it any further.

Not sure if this was already posted but took my first long trip with the new route planner. This ain't exactly a Tesla feedback forum but for lack of knowing where else to post, here goes.

First off, my trip has two major routes: I-95 or the Eastern Shore. I couldn't seem to find a way to say: "No thank you to I-95 stress & insanity & the 2 impossibly tight stalls at the Bethesda mall on Christmas Eve. I'd much prefer the sleepy Eastern Shore even if it is more miles." Best I could do was just Nav to the Salisbury supercharger as a single destination.

So I'm halfway down the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel and Nav starts telling me I need to turn around and go back to Norfolk. Um.......no. Delete supercharger. Did the same thing on the way back. I kept an eye on the new range tab, never let it get lower than ~12% remaining at destination. Arrived with about 30 miles left, no sweat.

Routing really isn't an option with any NAV system I've had with the exception of generic "avoid tolls, avoid highways, avoid ferries, etc" route settings. That said, there's something about using a giant iPad looking device for nav that really would lead a reasonable person to expect to be able to select different routes. I bet you this will be an upcoming feature. In the meantime, if I'm taking a route that differs from what the nav is suggesting I just start driving on that route until it corrects itself and just gives up. The u-turn for supercharging is a known bug. I sat at the Harris Ranch, CA supercharger for an hour when I only needed to be there for 15 minutes and the moment I got back on the highway it routed me right back to the supercharger I just left.

The issue I have is traffic reporting. Sometimes the NAV system appears to be taking me odd ways and then I finally figured it's doing that because of traffic. The problem is my NAV doesn't appear to be able to display traffic on my route when turn by turn is activated. So to see why it's routing me some odd way I need to turn off turn by turn directions, check traffic on the route, and then flip turn by turn back on.

Other than that, was the navigation system much worse back in the day? One of my cars is 7.0 and the other was 6.2. So my experience with the navigation is several versions. I've found it to be overall one of the nicer systems for turn by turn. I'd go so far as to say it's as good as the system in the 2014 BMW I had which was amazing. It showed traffic on both main and secondary streets and did such a great job of routing around traffic that I stopped using Waze. In Los Angeles that's high praise.

I have a love / hate relationship with my NAV system. I call her Miss Direction. :wink:

Occasionally her suggested routes are a little strange, hence her name. Recently I was driving from Tampa to Sarasota and she came up with an unusal route that avoided the main inter-state highway and took us on back roads. We checked the map for traffic and even zoomed in and found none so we proceeded to ignore her recommendation. What I failed to do was bring up Waze on the display to check for traffic until it was too late. When we proceeded to take I-75 there were two major stop-and-go traffic jams along our route that were confirmed by Waze and unfortuately personal experience.

So Miss Direction was correct, but she mislead us by not displaying the traffic that she was avoiding. In the future, I'll take her suggestions more seriously, but confirm them with Waze.

Larry

That's funny Larry. My wife calls the Tesla NAV "Miss Make a U-Turn if Possible".

In many ways it is the worst navigation system I've ever used, in one way it is the best.

From the standpoint of it being the worst, it lacks the basic features of other navigation systems. In particular, the inability to input multiple destinations (waypoints) and having the system reorder based upon distance from source and navigate you to them all in order. My 2007 Prius did this for up to 5 destinations. Tesla navigation also does not offer multiple routes from which to choose, and sometimes the routes it does select make no sense. Sometimes it routes based upon least distance, other times based upon least travel time. Then there is the Trip Planner fiasco, don't even get me started on that. Tesla navigation should also provide information for non-Tesla charging stations, especially CHAdeMO.

Why isn't the destination input field in navigation linked to my address book? I shouldn't have to go to the phone app and tap on an address to navigate to Dan's house. I should just be able to type "Dan" into the navigation field and it should offer Dan from my address book as a destination option. Voice navigation should work the same way if I ask to be navigated to someone in my address book, not automatically search for the word "Dan" in google maps.

From the standpoint of it being the best, the address or destination input is simple and intuitive compared with other systems. The 17" touch screen makes using it feel natural and "cool", but that's more of a universal benefit to all vehicle systems and not just navigation. Other than the simple input method, which is the best, I find nothing else compelling about the Tesla navigation.

The fact that Tesla has not made these simple changes to navigation, especially adding multiple waypoints, tells me that it isn't possible or Tesla simply doesn't understand the needs of its customers. It seems hardly any of Tesla's programming resources are devoted to completing the incomplete software that has been shipping since 2012. There's the sad excuse for media controls as well, but that's outside of this thread's scope.

The missing multiple waypoints is frustrating. Even when on a long road trip the nav just displays mileage/ time of arrival to the next supercharger, not your final destination. That is a rather annoying omission.

Click on the trips button (I think that's what it's called? the one next to cancel) and it'll give you your ETA at the destination.