Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor What's going on with Model X used prices?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is currently selling 2016 Model X 90Ds in their CPO program ranging from 60k - 70k some of them fully loaded. I recently saw a loaded 90D go for $62k.

On the used non CPO market I've seen a very nice P90DL with only 30k miles go for $68k and another one for $69k.

With those prices for the 90D and P90DL Model X what would you expect a 2016 60D or 75D get sold for? Well apparently it seems the exact same price?

There appears to be a magic floor on Model X prices where even a high mile 2016 Model X 60D are being sold north of 60k.

Is it just me or does it seem like normal market forces are out of wack when it comes to the Model X?

I spent forever looking for a used X 100D but it was near impossible to find a '17-'18 for more than $10,000 less than a new inventory X 100D after incentives. eventually just bought new. 2 years newer, no miles, 2 more years of warranty and free supercharging made it an easy decision.

the used market definitely has not caught up to the new lower tesla prices. cast a wide net if you really want used. the prices will eventually come down....

Is it just me or does it seem like normal market forces are out of wack when it comes to the Model X?

No, all used cars have a 'bottom' price.

Deprecation is ALWAYS worse on higher spec models than lower spec, both in relative and absolute value.

Our 75D is/was half the cost of a P100D L X at the time but has lost far less money if sold now. The lower your asking price the more demand you have, if you can afford a P100D L $15k difference in used prices may seem trivial. But at $60k used prices an extra $15k is 25% extra cost, a big deal for people with only $60k to spend on a car!!

Hence as cars get older the price difference between base spec and top spec grows smaller. The X is no different.

There are more used Model X's for sale than Model S's. I imagine Elon would rather have fewer Model X's in inventory. Also the number of Model X's in inventory has been growing. Likely due in part to production increases 3 years ago. This all points to Tesla needing to drop Model X used prices faster. I think we will start seeing used Model X's under $60K regularly to keep supply and demand in balance.

I’ve been surprised by this as well. For only 4K or so more you can currently get a much bigger battery and a much faster 90D. For me to entertain a 75D it would have to be in the mid to upper 50s.

I think both the Raven updates, announced refreshes, and fact that many 2016s are going to start rolling out of warranty soon... X used prices are going to start dropping quicker. I think we will see 50k used 2016 MX by Xmas.

I’ve been surprised by this as well. For only 4K or so more you can currently get a much bigger battery and a much faster 90D. For me to entertain a 75D it would have to be in the mid to upper 50s.

I think both the Raven updates, announced refreshes, and fact that many 2016s are going to start rolling out of warranty soon... X used prices are going to start dropping quicker. I think we will see 50k used 2016 MX by Xmas.

But would you purchase a used 2016 X for 50-60k out of warranty?

I've love to get an X but absolutely can't justify anything over 70k at this point. Only thing that would work for us would be a 90 or the 100, the 75 just wouldn't work for how we use our SUV.

I spent forever looking for a used X 100D but it was near impossible to find a '17-'18 for more than $10,000 less than a new inventory X 100D after incentives. eventually just bought new. 2 years newer, no miles, 2 more years of warranty and free supercharging made it an easy decision.

the used market definitely has not caught up to the new lower tesla prices. cast a wide net if you really want used. the prices will eventually come down....

I think part of the issue is dealers (Non-Tesla) just don't know how to price this car. I have wanted a Tesla for a couple years but was locked into a Mercedes Benz lease that I had to get out of. I finally did that and did a lot of research on used Models X and S. I eventually came to the same decision you did. the price differential was not worth it. I ended up getting lucky and bought a demo with only 650 miles on it and they gave me a great price. Not bad. 2019 Model X 100D. Only had it a couple weeks but its been really fun so far.

Reactions: Fiddler
There are more used Model X's for sale than Model S's. I imagine Elon would rather have fewer Model X's in inventory. Also the number of Model X's in inventory has been growing. Likely due in part to production increases 3 years ago. This all points to Tesla needing to drop Model X used prices faster. I think we will start seeing used Model X's under $60K regularly to keep supply and demand in balance.
8 Model X's under $60K now. One at $54K. Lowest prices I've seen.
2016 Model X | Tesla