TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's going on with the Chinese Factory timeline?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by tentonine, Aug 2, 2018.

1. tentonine

tentonine Member

In the shareholder letter, they said 3 years until cars are rolling off the production line in Shanghai, but then Elon indicated production of 200k/year+ in Shanghai in 2020 during the conference call. I'm wondering if he was confused and thinking of 2021? They really ought to clarify this soon if he was!

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

Same thing I was thinking. He said to hit the 1 million mark, it would require the help of Shanghai. If production caps out at 600k at Fremont, unfortunately that might be the 2020 target. However, he estimated at least 750k in 2020 which means the math is wrong somewhere.

3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I'll wager that Elon and Tesla are being conservative for once. Since teh new China factory will closely resemble existing factories I fully expect it to be in operation before teh promised dates. Things, once decided, move faster in China and the factory is located in a fully functioning dedicated industrial zone that is already fully capable fo delivering building permits, construction assistance and every element of logistics support. We may be assured that China and Shanghai are just as anxious as is Tesla to have this facility up and running at full capacity.

Almost everyone forgets that Panasonic is already in volume production in Dalian and is quite well situated to accelerate production in support of Tesla China.

• Like x 1