Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's going on with US based CPO's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang, curious if anyone has insight into what's going with the CPO program here in the states. It's been over a week since the last MS CPO was posted, and during that time the Europe page has been flooded with new cpo's, including a a high number of later model offerings. very strange

"Right hand column" -->I think you're referring to ev-cpo.com, correct? I've noticed this too and I think the data is current, at least the inv and all x data appears to be.

@HankLloydRight, any insights re. what may be in store based on previous patterns?

Yes, was thinking about the EV-CPO website "my bad". But as you say the information there seems to be accurate. When I bought my CPO M/S as soon as I placed the deposit within minutes it was no longer listed on the EV-CPO site "said it was no longer available".

The EV-CPO site is easier to navigate IMHO than Tesla's pre-owned listings @ tesla.com and contains more filters etc.

Yes, was thinking about the EV-CPO website "my bad". But as you say the information there seems to be accurate. When I bought my CPO M/S as soon as I placed the deposit within minutes it was no longer listed on the EV-CPO site "said it was no longer available".

The EV-CPO site is easier to navigate IMHO than Tesla's pre-owned listings @ tesla.com and contains more filters etc.

Agreed, I'm a big fan of ev-cpo. Hard to believe how lame the search function is on tesla.com.

It may be the end-of-quarter trade-ins and lease returns rush in June flooded them with units to process and they haven't caught up. My CPO advisor told me they have a lot of units coming into the system right now. He also said there will be a web site update soon that will allow more feature filtering so you can specify what you want more clearly and narrow down the options.

Not-so-funny story - I was due to pick up my CPO unit last Friday afternoon. Got a call 3 hours before from the Service Center manager - - on the way back from the detailer, my car was totaled in an auto accident. No injuries, but the car can't be repaired, so I'm back in the hunt after 8 weeks of waiitng. They did give me a comparable loaner (wrong colors, some different options) to use until we find the right replacement, but I'm sure I'm out another few weeks at a minimum.

I can tell you - after a weekend of driving one - you learn things you can't fully comprehend on a test drive. it's a marvelous car!

@HankLloydRight, any insights re. what may be in store based on previous patterns?

Sorry, the only thing I can offer is that this has happened before. It's like reading tea leaves with Tesla. Even though no new CPOs have been added recently, I suspect there will be a another flood soon, which has also happened a few times, as recently as about two weeks ago. One night they removed over 400 CPOs, and then over the next few hours, added them back slowly with price changes (both up and down). So I would guess Tesla is just holding back any new listings so they can add them all at once. And this is a total guess, but if the prices are super low like they were last month, perhaps they're also waiting to have more CPO staff online to help with a surge of sales, because as we know, CPO sales responsiveness has been lacking for a long time, and maybe they want to improve that. Just a guess, though.

Is it just me or do the listed discounts on EV-CPO from design studio prices seem exaggerated? Several cars I looked at didn't have the features to justify a high studio price that the listed discount implied.

The "discount" is provided from Tesla, and I believe is the actual discount from the Design Studio at the time the car was built, not the current Design Studio. So if prices change, the discount (on inventory cars) might not be so good compared to a "new" car today. If that's not the case, then the discount number they are providing is mis-calculated.

He also said there will be a web site update soon that will allow more feature filtering so you can specify what you want more clearly and narrow down the options.

Ha ha, yeah, they've been telling me that same thing for two years now. I've heard stories that lots of sales associates check my site first when looking for cars for customers before using Tesla's internal system. I've also heard the opposite of sales associates trashing EV-CPO calling the data inaccurate. Someone just wrote me recently that he found a P85D with 55 miles on it, for a really good price, so he put a deposit down. When he went to see the car, it had 55k miles on it, and the sales associate tried to blame EV-CPO for the discrepancy, when I can show the exact time and data source from Tesla that provided that information.

I would like to see Tesla's website offer the same kind of filtering, searching and sorting, but I don't think that will happen. When I first started EV-CPO they called me up to "chat" about it. If you remember back then, there were almost no filters, I think maybe just location (region). They told me that before launching their CPO page, they had developed three different versions of the CPO page, with increasing levels of filtering and sorting, the highest level similar to what I had done (according to them). They showed all three to Elon, and he choose the most simple page and that's what they launched. So I've also held that their choices are driven by Marketing... they don't want people to have a fine choice of a few select cars-- they want people to see cars they might not have filtered out, thinking they could possibly sell more cars by not filtering out peoples' choices. Obviously, I don't agree with that sentiment. People want choices and control.

I can tell you - after a weekend of driving one - you learn things you can't fully comprehend on a test drive. it's a marvelous car!

Preach it Brother! Good luck in your search.

It may be the end-of-quarter trade-ins and lease returns rush in June flooded them with units to process and they haven't caught up. My CPO advisor told me they have a lot of units coming into the system right now. He also said there will be a web site update soon that will allow more feature filtering so you can specify what you want more clearly and narrow down the options.

Not-so-funny story - I was due to pick up my CPO unit last Friday afternoon. Got a call 3 hours before from the Service Center manager - - on the way back from the detailer, my car was totaled in an auto accident. No injuries, but the car can't be repaired, so I'm back in the hunt after 8 weeks of waiitng. They did give me a comparable loaner (wrong colors, some different options) to use until we find the right replacement, but I'm sure I'm out another few weeks at a minimum.

That's just awful! At least they gave you a loaner to use in the meantime... but 8 weeks down the drain.

I saw the whopping 17 added last night around 10pm PST; bringing the US total since 7/2 to 19...hehe.
Some nice onces in there.... I took a hard look at the 85 with AP1 for 57k (until I realized it was in Florida). Hoping for more today!

Maybe there are less trade ins to process after the recent price drops?

I think (emphasis on think) they funneled most of their CPO's to Europe over the past few weeks... Europe had a HUGE increase in CPO's lately, with some days seeing bumps of 20-30+ over the past two weeks bringing their total to nearly 950. Lot's of later models which was surprising(2014-2016).

I think (emphasis on think) they funneled most of their CPO's to Europe over the past few weeks... Europe had a HUGE increase in CPO's lately, with some days seeing bumps of 20-30+ over the past two weeks bringing their total to nearly 950. Lot's of later models which was surprising(2014-2016).

I think you may be right, some of the super high mileage cars found their way there....some of them have 90,000 miles or so. I suspect the idea is to ride the PR wave with the upcoming M3 launch and have a supply of "almost as cheap as an M3" MS on hand similar to what they did in the US a couple of weeks ago.

U.S. and European cars have different kinds charge ports.

Heads up folks, I stopped by a Tesla Store today and mentioned interest in a used S, and the Tesla guy pulled up several very cars through the store intranet that are definitely not showing up on EV-CPO right now. Prices were similar to the big influx last month- based on my quick glimpse of a few, the lowest was $34k, and there was an 85D in the 50's. I did not see the mileage numbers, so they might have been 300k or something outlandish. I think the theory of building up unlisted inventory for after the 28th is pretty solid... or both gems I remember already sold in a matter of hours.

(Or I need glasses.)

Heads up folks, I stopped by a Tesla Store today and mentioned interest in a used S, and the Tesla guy pulled up several very cars through the store intranet that are definitely not showing up on EV-CPO right now. Prices were similar to the big influx last month- based on my quick glimpse of a few, the lowest was $34k, and there was an 85D in the 50's. I did not see the mileage numbers, so they might have been 300k or something outlandish. I think the theory of building up unlisted inventory for after the 28th is pretty solid... or both gems I remember already sold in a matter of hours.

(Or I need glasses.)
Were they offering to sell those? Or just showing you? I've asked my CPO advisor about this list, and I keep getting told it doesn't exist (and yet they've released about 25 cars in 14 days). Urgh!