Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's going to be at the 2014 NAIAS Tesla exhibit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
I checked the NAIAS website and Google'd for news, but I wasn't able to find out what Tesla will be showing this year in Detroit. They do have a press conference scheduled for Tuesday, January 14, from 11:40AM-12:05PM:

http://naias.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=27789

I remember that the Model X concept was at last year's NAIAS. Will they roll out an updated concept that is close to production?

As a future Model X owner, my thinking about an AWD Model S is beginning to evolve. There's the selfish side of me that wants to see AWD on Model X first, and then retrofitted to the Model S later. Partly, I like the idea that a Performance Model X might be faster 0-60 than the Performance Model S (that's a guess on my part - nothing has actually been said, but 100% more wheels pushing the car...). But wouldn't that just be outrageous - an SUV / crossover that is faster 0-60 than the sedan or the sports car in the lineup?

The evolution is that AWD is going to be valuable to the company and to the product whenever it arrives, and useful to people all over. If it shows up in the Model S before Model X, then that means we'll be getting an evolved / 2nd generation AWD on the Model X. Or at least a version that's had a chance for bugs to be found and wrung out, software that's had some real world tuning - that sort of thing. So now I say - bring it on whenever its ready, and sooner is better. I think it's going to be a popular option, and that will generate even more revenue for Tesla.

As a future Model X owner, my thinking about an AWD Model S is beginning to evolve. ...

The evolution is that AWD is going to be valuable to the company and to the product whenever it arrives, and useful to people all over. If it shows up in the Model S before Model X, then that means we'll be getting an evolved / 2nd generation AWD on the Model X. Or at least a version that's had a chance for bugs to be found and wrung out, software that's had some real world tuning - that sort of thing. So now I say - bring it on whenever its ready, and sooner is better. I think it's going to be a popular option, and that will generate even more revenue for Tesla.
Speaking as a Signature owner of Model S, the Model X AWD will be far better if it's a V2 than a V1 from a performance and quality standpoint. From a collector's standpoint, who knows.

My bet's on a Model X Beta being revealed. I think Tesla will hold AWD back on the Model S till the X's out. Otherwise, there's a risk, albeit slight, of cannibalizing some X reservations for an AWD MS. AWD MS is atleast a year-and-a-half away IMO purely for strategic reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, just realized that there's this whole other thread about an AWD MS: AWD Test Mule

Hmm... not so sure now.

Speaking as a Signature owner of Model S, the Model X AWD will be far better if it's a V2 than a V1 from a performance and quality standpoint. From a collector's standpoint, who knows.

Since the Model X is a Model S derivative, I'm sure it will be much more mature at launch - probably just as mature as the then-current Model S production.

I checked the NAIAS website and Google'd for news, but I wasn't able to find out what Tesla will be showing this year in Detroit. They do have a press conference scheduled for Tuesday, January 14, from 11:40AM-12:05PM:

http://naias.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=27789

I remember that the Model X concept was at last year's NAIAS. Will they roll out an updated concept that is close to production?

I have no idea what they will show during the event, I just marked the date in my calendar with an X. :tongue:

Last edited:
Since the Model X is a Model S derivative, I'm sure it will be much more mature at launch - probably just as mature as the then-current Model S production.
Totally agree. But a V2 AWD Model X will be better than (the older of) V1 AWD Model X and V1 AWD Model S.

My point was/is that as a "diehard" Model X owner-to-be, you're better off if Model S is used as the guinea pig for V1.

Totally agree. But a V2 AWD Model X will be better than (the older of) V1 AWD Model X and V1 AWD Model S.

My point was/is that as a "diehard" Model X owner-to-be, you're better off if Model S is used as the guinea pig for V1.

In a week I want to see a slow motion video of a Model S smoking it's rear tires up close as the camera slowly pans to the front of the car where the front wheels are smoking as well :)

In a week I want to see a slow motion video of a Model S smoking it's rear tires up close as the camera slowly pans to the front of the car where the front wheels are smoking as well :)
On that note, maybe this will work...

Jerome/Elon - I'd be happy to sign a waiver volunteering my vehicle as the test vehicle for the V1 AWD retrofit. Of course, I'd need some warranty assurances and maybe a pricing discount. ;)

Last edited:
I assume this could be the final production Model X everyone wants to see. Regardless it seems to be out and about and functioning so it wouldn't hurt to bring it to Detroit. I guess I should keep an eye on social media too incase it gets spotted somewhere else!

This picture looks amazingly like the Model X that was shown off last February, eleven months ago, complete with mirrors, not cameras, and no "fog lights". I would guess it's NOT the final version, NOT headed to NAIAS. It's old tech. Nothing new here. No reason to believe this car will be shown off as Tesla's latest accomplishment.

Current article photo:

model-x Jan2014.jpg

Last year's Model X:

Model X.jpg

Perhaps they are doing a good job of keeping it under wraps. I would love to see them tweaking the model shown above and actually putting it in the never before seen production model!
In case my post was confusing...

What's going to be at the 2014 NAIAS Tesla exhibit? - Page 2
The first picture [outdoors with the doors closed] (which matches the article) looks to be older wheels.
The second picture [indoors with the wings up] matches my recollection of the most recent wheel offering that Tesla has shown.