Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's going to be at the 2014 NAIAS Tesla exhibit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The picture on the back wall is of a car in a snowy environment, it may be a hint to what is going on, but I'm still not completely sold on awd super-sport
Also Tesla, "Took Model S to snowy Switzerland for a stunning drive" probably to test AWD. I defiantly think we will see AWD this week, the question is will we see a "SSP110+"

This all explains why source wanted me to believe that Model X won't be there....

The only question now is: What if that is just a regular Model S and they wheel out a SSP110+ on tuesday during press conference?

Hints that AWD is coming:
No model X on site
Tesla has revealed Beta/Alpha/Production all on their own time in their own facilities. It would be strange to unveil Model X here.
AWD development timeline seems right
Would hold off thirsty investors till Model X production.
Model X production shouldn't be ready till March (based on model S timeline, Nov-May) 6-7 months before production

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you get this picture?

Model S AWD would be a pleasant surprise. I'm skeptical about a 110+ battery… but that would be an insanely good surprise.

Model S AWD would be a pleasant surprise. I'm skeptical about a 110+ battery… but that would be an insanely good surprise.
I agree! As much as we would all love to hear more details about the Model X, an AWD Model S would be awesome! Great way to reach out to even more buyers. Not sure why everyone is hyping up this "super sport" version though as that seems more like a dream than reality.. although my name would be on the list for one in a heartbeat!

I agree! As much as we would all love to hear more details about the Model X, an AWD Model S would be awesome! Great way to reach out to even more buyers. Not sure why everyone is hyping up this "super sport" version though as that seems more like a dream than reality.. although my name would be on the list for one in a heartbeat!

Forgive me if you have read this from me on another thread: I would welcome a high margin 'super S' at this time in TMs life. Ramping up for the X will take some time and money. You could bring in mega profits on a 'super S'. It will be difficult to keep up 25% margins in Q1 and Q2 as TM burns through the ramp up cash for X. Offset it with 50+% margins on the Super S. Try the AWD system in a known vehicle that will not have to go through crash testing. Changing an S to AWD would require less retooling than putting the X into production.

Bring on the AWD S. Please

- - - Updated - - -

Is the second "car" (the one with the arrow pointing at it) just a skateboard with a bit more body on it? Either that or it's a very ... interesting ... convertible.
Maybe there is something over the front wheels on the cut away?? Look, not trying to hype this up to set up for disappointment but it would be great to see an AWD S.

Having a skateboard next to the AWD version would be a great way of illustrating the architecture of the front motors....

Yep, my thought exactly. This will be like the skateboard in most stores, but AWD. Maybe even elevated and functional? Nah, but it would be cool!

UPDATE: If you have a Instagram account just look up #teslamotors to see the pic, but it doesn't look any better than the one already posted.

Last edited:
tesla model s skateboard - Bing Images

With proper lighting and image quality, it might be just the same skateboard we're used to seeing:
Tesla_Model_S_skateboard.jpg

http://gm-volt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Tesla_Model_S_skateboard.jpg

And yes, it definitely appears to be the front end rather than the rear.

Forgive me if you have read this from me on another thread: I would welcome a high margin 'super S' at this time in TMs life. Ramping up for the X will take some time and money. You could bring in mega profits on a 'super S'. It will be difficult to keep up 25% margins in Q1 and Q2 as TM burns through the ramp up cash for X. Offset it with 50+% margins on the Super S. Try the AWD system in a known vehicle that will not have to go through crash testing. Changing an S to AWD would require less retooling than putting the X into production.

Bring on the AWD S. Please

Completely agreed.

All of the photo evidence points to an AWD S. I hope as heck it is the Super S that steals the show from the Corvette Z06 Supercar as the fastest car there. That would be awesome. Can you imagine if this happened: Corvette 0-60 in 3.5s, Tesla Model 4,650lbS 0-60 3.2s?

tesla model s skateboard - Bing Images

With proper lighting and image quality, it might be just the same skateboard we're used to seeing:
View attachment 40683
http://gm-volt.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Tesla_Model_S_skateboard.jpg

And yes, it definitely appears to be the front end rather than the rear.

Tomorrow and the beginning of next week will be interesting. I agree that the picture may just be the 'standard' store skateboard but I hope it displays a second front motor. Again, not trying to set us up for disappointment.....just hoping :wink:

I'd like to curse you all. I've spent the last 10+ years of my life all over various Apple rumor sites trying to figure out the when X, Y, or Z was coming out. Right before a keynote I'd look at the blurry pictures of the conference center trying to figure out if that illegible little mark on that 99% covered banner meant that Apple was going to release the next thing I didn't know I couldn't live without. And the wife would be saying "the computer is dying" only to have me say "we have to wait 3 weeks until Macworld" only to have nothing get announced...and I have to tell my wife we should keep waiting...good times.

For all those years I could care less about cars. Auto shows? What are those?

So here we are...I'm ready to buy a Model S to replace my AWD BMW. At first I told myself I must wait for an AWD Model X...but then I convinced myself a standard S would work great (but always had that AWD desire in the back of the brain...big skier). After months of reading forums and throwing the decision back and forth my wife has finally given me the "why haven't you just ordered it already?" And here I am...looking at blurry photos. Looking for hints (that DOES look like a mountain on the back wall). Wondering if the AWD version DOESN'T show up whether or not I can get myself to pull the trigger or tell my wife we should keep waiting.

Arg...I didn't need a second obsession like this in my life. I better go look for some iWatch rumors...

Here's to an interesting week! Curse you all... ;-)

Ok, for various reasons, I "delay ordered" a standard 85 for delivery in April...and the dashboard is still in the "parts" mode with no VIN... and you all are telling me that by Wednesday I'll be on the phone with my sale consultant begging for a 110 battery? Sometimes, life is easier when there are fewer choices....

I'd like to curse you all. I've spent the last 10+ years of my life all over various Apple rumor sites trying to figure out the when X, Y, or Z was coming out. Right before a keynote I'd look at the blurry pictures of the conference center trying to figure out if that illegible little mark on that 99% covered banner meant that Apple was going to release the next thing I didn't know I couldn't live without. And the wife would be saying "the computer is dying" only to have me say "we have to wait 3 weeks until Macworld" only to have nothing get announced...and I have to tell my wife we should keep waiting...good times.

So here we are...I'm ready to buy a Model S to replace my AWD BMW. At first I told myself I must wait for an AWD Model X...but then I convinced myself a standard S would work great (but always had that AWD desire in the back of the brain...big skier). After months of reading forums and throwing the decision back and forth my wife has finally given me the "why haven't you just ordered it already?" And here I am...looking at blurry photos. Looking for hints (that DOES look like a mountain on the back wall). Wondering if the AWD version DOESN'T show up whether or not I can get myself to pull the trigger or tell my wife we should keep waiting.

Arg...I didn't need a second obsession like this in my life. I better go look for some iWatch rumors...

You'll be happy to know there's a whole website here filled with fellow obsessees.

Welcome to the madness!