Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's gone wrong with your Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like it could be the control arm bushings, which is a very common issue on Roadsters. I would suggest lubricating those first.
Is there any way of describing to a lay man, what said 'control arm bushing' looks like? I've been trying to follow along in the service manual but I can't figure out which area I should lube. I've got the same squeak in the rear leftish. Thanks!

Is there any way of describing to a lay man, what said 'control arm bushing' looks like? I've been trying to follow along in the service manual but I can't figure out which area I should lube. I've got the same squeak in the rear leftish. Thanks!
If it is the upper control arm bushings, the squeaking comes from the bushing wearing down over time, resulting in metal on metal contact. The remedy is getting the old bushings pressed out, and new bushings pressed in. Any suspension shop can perform this repair, provided they have the correct tools.

• Informative
Reactions: eHorses
I've owned my Roadster for less than a year, and I've had to fix the following:

• Bad LCD screen replaced by Gruber
• Broken hood latch fixed by Gruber
• Bad trunk strut replaced by Gruber
• Bad plug connector fixed by Gruber
• GPS module problem, resolved by Gruber
• Rough ride fixed by replacing the old tires and adjusting the suspension to a softer setting
• Wobbly steering fixed by straightening a bent rim
• Broken center cap replaced by 3D printing a new one
• Failed heating fixed by rebuilding the 400V controller
• Failed A/C fixed by recharging the freon
• Crooked rear window brake light housing fixed by 3D printing a replacement mounting tab
• Trunk and body panel gaps fixed by making adjustments and replacing missing bolts
• 1 missing mud flap was replaced, and all of the other mud flaps that were falling off were re-attached to the body
• Broken center vent was replaced with a new one
• Missing the bottom part of the "E" in the rear "T E S L A" logo was replaced by a new one.
• My wife just broke my cupholder so now I have to fix that somehow...

Aaaaaaand I'm still not quite done fixing things, such as a "knocking" sound coming from the front suspension when I go over bumps. In addition, the car will need an alignment to drive perfectly straight.

I've spent several days and over $10k sorting this car and still haven't even gotten to the good stuff like Carbon Fiber upgrades, etc... Definitely a project car haha.

Reactions: jason.tv
If it is the upper control arm bushings, the squeaking comes from the bushing wearing down over time, resulting in metal on metal contact. The remedy is getting the old bushings pressed out, and new bushings pressed in. Any suspension shop can perform this repair, provided they have the correct tools.
Thanks @DeedWest - from the service manual link above, is it possible to highlight or circle the bushings? I just don't understand what they look like.

Thanks @DeedWest - from the service manual link above, is it possible to highlight or circle the bushings? I just don't understand what they look like.
1651754938696.png

Is this it?

Those are the sway bar bushings. To diagnose the control arm bushings, you'll need to remove the upper wishbone assembly and you'll find two bushings. They require a bushing press tool, like this - Lotus Elise Exige Bushing removal installation too
Thanks to all the suggestions here, I was able to fix the squeaking noise from the left rear. I jacked up the car on the left side and then lubricated a few areas there. I reached some areas through the wheel and some from the rear underside of the wheel. I did a trial and error a few times and the one I believe made the most impact was lubricating the yellow damper. It's been absolutely quiet the past week and also, another issue of the 'porpoising' or bouncing has stopped, resulting in a very smooth ride. I've included pictures of the damper and the lubricant (local Advanced Auto Parts store) in case others have a similar issue.
damper.jpg
lube.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hcsharp and eHorses
Thanks to all the suggestions here, I was able to fix the squeaking noise from the left rear. I jacked up the car on the left side and then lubricated a few areas there. I reached some areas through the wheel and some from the rear underside of the wheel. I did a trial and error a few times and the one I believe made the most impact was lubricating the yellow damper. It's been absolutely quiet the past week and also, another issue of the 'porpoising' or bouncing has stopped, resulting in a very smooth ride. I've included pictures of the damper and the lubricant (local Advanced Auto Parts store) in case others have a similar issue.View attachment 815749View attachment 815750
Interesting! Where exactly did you squirt the lubricant around the damper? I have a squeak (more like a grumble) from back there too.

What I know of.
1. Rivet on ESS, rectified in first year
2. AC condenser leak. Repaired at SC with aftermarket part
3. Heater plug blocked filling heater causing a fault to stop charging. Paid for part but labor free, except for case of beer and gourmet muffins for staff.
4. Blew inlet fuse at destination chargers. Easy fix
5. Wire corroded for passenger door handle. Easy fix
6. PEM fan seized, fixed with replacement, but WD40 got me home. SC blew the fan with compressor to clear everything and let me work on it on the ramps till it free’d off. Aldd see o let me use their tools to pull it apart, check PEM fan plugs and charged the car for me.
160,000 km for reference

Reactions: Mark77a