TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's in your portable car wash kit?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Homer, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Homer

Homer Member

The Simpson family road trip starts in a week and I want to put together a car wash kit that I can leave in the boot so that I can clean The Homer at our destination. So what car wash product do you recommend? What cloths should I get to minimise swirl marks?

2. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

Soft plain car wash detergent. NO additives. Microfibre or very fine thread hand glove especially designed for car wash purpose. Rinse any grit trapped after doing each car section (eg a door), microfiber chamois, several microfiber cloths for wheels, and other non-paint areas. Bucket.

• Informative x 2
  3. Homer

Homer Member

Thanks! Is there a particular brand of car wash detergent and microfibre cloth that you have found works well? (I haven't washed my car for years so I really don't know what to buy)

4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

A spray bottle Optimum No Rinse and microfibre towels. Spray and wipe.

5. garyjac

garyjac Member

Depends how much SMEG you get on the car. Hose all the heavy shyte off (more than dust) with a hose jet. Car wash of reasonable quality (Meguires Gold will do). Quality waffle weave towels to dry. Microfibre towels to finish. If only light dust, and assuming a good wax finish underneath then a spray and wipe with Bowdens Own "Fully Slick" will give a nice finish. While on the road, "Fully Slick" may be all you need, plus a good glass cleaner (Invisible Glass, Naked Glass, Auto Glym Fast Glass or Polish). Do NOT use a car wash...guarantees micro scratching.

6. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

I got my gear from Autobahn. They have a variety of brands that will do the job. Make sure the detergent is soft with no chemical additives. Good quality microfibre should not scratch the paintwork but trapped particles may so make sure you rinse well and often before moving on to the next section. Try using cloths in 1 direction.

7. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

My portable car wash kit is full of groupon coupons to my favorite auto-spa - as I watch them clean from the inside out. - top to bottom for 75% off the regular price of $40.

• Like x 2
  8. ron8853

ron8853 Member

Car wash detergent-Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss. Microfiber towels-Walmart has several types in the auto department

9. Joelc

Joelc Member

Similar for me, but I use spray bottle of Optimum Opti-Clean. Amazing stuff.

• Like x 1