Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats included in autopilot now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Called the Service Centre about purchasing autopilot now that I can't do that via the car or website. He told me that auto lane change was not include and that autopilot just steered the car, accelerate and brake. I said when I have used it previously I could indicate and it would change lanes while on auto-pilot. He said no that's only in FSD and said that auto lane change is only when navigating on auto-pilot which is not available in AUS. I said Im talking about indicating myself and the car changing lanes. he paused and said no thats not included in auto-pilot anymore.

Can anyone confirm after the changes that what I said or what he said correct?

Not sure if the Auto Lane Change is the feature you're talking about (or if it is Lane change without confirmation) but on the Tesla Website it looks like it's a part of FSD now.

upload_2019-7-10_12-23-40.png

Tesla have bundled items that should be included in the base package simply to lure customers into the FSD fantasy. I really can't believe that we are paying $100,000 for a car, with autopilot, and yet a simple feature like autopark requires FSD. FFS it is offered on almost any base Ford nowadays!
Autopilot is a great feature and I love it (albeit it is far from perfect). But you really shouldn't think that the features listed as 'Coming later this year' will actually happen - perhaps for a very long time and particularly in Australia. I don't really get why they would explicitly advertise these things. I certainly won't be paying for FSD, and I get a feeling that sometime next year there will be many that have gone for it asking for refunds. Happy to be wrong but history says otherwise and $8,500 is a joke for simple autopark and lane change.

Correct. Enhanced autopilot was dropped earlier this year and only 'autopilot' is available which is as the service centre described to you. Summon, autopark, and lane change is now part of FSD, and the other features of FSD don't yet exist or aren't available in AU yet.

@nikv have you been able to confirm driving on auto-pilot and when you hit the indication nothing happens?
@LDCRS Im NOT talking about lane change without confirmation - I have driven 2 Teslas with autopilot (including my model S when I had the trail version) both would physical move the steering wheel and change lanes when I indicated on a highway. neither asked for confirmation.
@Damo11 I love it too but I'm not paying $4000 so that it keeps in a lane and that is all.
@conman are you saying im correct or he is?

Thanks all for the replies!

Tesla have bundled items that should be included in the base package simply to lure customers into the FSD fantasy. I really can't believe that we are paying $100,000 for a car, with autopilot, and yet a simple feature like autopark requires FSD. FFS it is offered on almost any base Ford nowadays!
Autopilot is a great feature and I love it (albeit it is far from perfect). But you really shouldn't think that the features listed as 'Coming later this year' will actually happen - perhaps for a very long time and particularly in Australia. I don't really get why they would explicitly advertise these things. I certainly won't be paying for FSD, and I get a feeling that sometime next year there will be many that have gone for it asking for refunds. Happy to be wrong but history says otherwise and $8,500 is a joke for simple autopark and lane change.
Absolutely agree. Indeed Traffic light and stop sign awareness was promised soon after autopilot was released using V1 hardware. We were told it wasnt capable but V2 would be. It wasnt.....and so it goes with each version.
Also everything listed is for the US. I wouldnt assume it will happen in Australia this year.

I thought I elaborated on what autopilot has now? The service person is correct. Auto-lane change is different to assisted lane change by the way. There is no auto lane change at all in Australia yet, it requires Navigate on Autopilot which hasn't been released here. Assisted lane change is when the vehicle will change lanes for you whilst on autosteer IF you tap the indicator yourself. Nonetheless, neither of these features is available on basic autopilot.

Reactions: one4spl
There is no auto lane change at all in Australia yet, it requires Navigate on Autopilot which hasn't been released here. Assisted lane change is when the vehicle will change lanes for you whilst on autosteer IF you tap the indicator yourself. Nonetheless, neither of these features is available on basic autopilot.

This is contrary to what is listed on the Tesla Website. According to the website, Auto Lane change is available now...so terminology needs to be cleared up

This is contrary to what is listed on the Tesla Website. According to the website, Auto Lane change is available now...so terminology needs to be cleared up

The Australian web version is slightly different from the USA version.

The USA version has:

"Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars."

Without "Navigate on Autopilot", Australian version is still capable of Auto Lane Change AFTER a MANUAL turn signal initiated by human.

With "Navigate on Autopilot", the system can do an Auto Lane Change without any intervention by human. Thus, in simple routes, the only intervention from human is to turn on the "Navigate on Autopilot" from on-ramp and the system will do all the lane changes and through different freeway interchanges on its own until it will ask human to take over at a destination off-ramp.

And I think that's what @conman meant.

"Assisted lane change" is current Australian Auto Lane Change version without "Navigate on Autopilot". Current Australian version of Auto Lane Change can happen ONLY after a manual turn signal performed by human.

"Auto-lane change" in Australia is currently not true "auto" because it still needs assistance from human to tell it WHEN to do an Auto Lane Change.

Tesla calls it "Auto Lane Change" because current new global Autopilot cannot perform a lane change automatically even after human manually turn on the turn signal. The signal will keep flashing but the steering will continue to center in the present lane without changing to a new lane.

So when Tesla calls "Auto Lane Change" I think it means that customers need to pay for FSD to get that function.

But I think @conman would not call it true "Auto Lane Change" until "Navigate on Autopilot" will be activated in Australia.

In summary, the salesperson is correct about the extra cost of FSD if customers want any kind of lane change automation (partially assisted as in current Australian version or completely human-free as in USA version.)

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: LDCRS
I thought I elaborated on what autopilot has now? The service person is correct. Auto-lane change is different to assisted lane change by the way. There is no auto lane change at all in Australia yet, it requires Navigate on Autopilot which hasn't been released here. Assisted lane change is when the vehicle will change lanes for you whilst on autosteer IF you tap the indicator yourself. Nonetheless, neither of these features is available on basic autopilot.
Just to clarify, assisted lane change in australia requires you to have your hands on the wheel and to indicate for it to work. Just means you can change lanes whilst in autosteer without disengaging autosteer.
For those that think FSD is imminant.....this assisted lane change became available on tesla’s software (as opposed to the previous 3rd party software) late last year. No features have been added since, other than the system has become less jumpy.

@nikv have you been able to confirm driving on auto-pilot and when you hit the indication nothing happens?
@LDCRS Im NOT talking about lane change without confirmation - I have driven 2 Teslas with autopilot (including my model S when I had the trail version) both would physical move the steering wheel and change lanes when I indicated on a highway. neither asked for confirmation.
@Damo11 I love it too but I'm not paying $4000 so that it keeps in a lane and that is all.

Thanks all for the replies!
Hi Peter, confirmed one tap of the indicator stalk will change lanes and also disengage indicator for you.. is quite cool!

• Funny
Reactions: Peterbeans
Hi Peter, confirmed one tap of the indicator stalk will change lanes and also disengage indicator for you.. is quite cool!
Just to clarify...that’s ONLY on cars that had previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot (no longer available) or full FSD and that only applies only to S and X in Australia as by the time the 3 gets here if you don’t have FSD then you don’t have that.

thanks @conman you did, I think I just didn't want to accept the answer :(

I will wait until something useful is offered with FSD in AUS and buy it then.

Me too, and I suspect many others.

I think it will be a long time before any meaningful Self Driving in RHD markets and Aus.
I still think the standard auto pilot is pretty cool for cruising on a major highway. I don't see the V3 computer being fully utilised anytime soon , except maybe for some high frame rate games :)

Me too, and I suspect many others.

I think it will be a long time before any meaningful Self Driving in RHD markets and Aus.
I still think the standard auto pilot is pretty cool for cruising on a major highway. I don't see the V3 computer being fully utilised anytime soon , except maybe for some high frame rate games :)
Just reading about how musk is restructuring the FSD division due to lack of progress on his timetable. Evidently busy city streets are proving problematic. Just google tesla and press news. Its one of the leading stories.
FSD is a very long way off.

And even further away in Au. There are about a bazillion threads on when people predict it will come so I won't rehash those, but we are already about one year behind just on autopilot features so we'll be at least one year, probably more, behind any FSD feature releases. Make no mistake, the FSD releases will come one feature at a time as well, and true FSD is a very very long way off.

Just reading about how musk is restructuring the FSD division due to lack of progress on his timetable. Evidently busy city streets are proving problematic. Just google tesla and press news. Its one of the leading stories.

As mentioned before ….keep your expectations related to what functionality the Model 3 will have when it arrives in Aus. Forget about the extra levels of autonomy the USA will always have over other regions. Buy the car for what it is now, anything else that comes our way post delivery is a bonus. That attitude will take away any future angst eg... Woe is me.. Tesla promised this, Elon promised that....blah, blah , blah. Its your own fault if you expect more.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulp
Just to clarify...that’s ONLY on cars that had previously purchased Enhanced Autopilot (no longer available) or full FSD and that only applies only to S and X in Australia as by the time the 3 gets here if you don’t have FSD then you don’t have that.

Not quite sure I understand what you're saying... Are you saying you can no longer get auto lane changes when the model 3 arrives here?

I have EAP and called up customer service today to ask about the cost to upgrade to FSD. Basically it's 8500.the same cost as if I didn't have EAP. Makes no sense at all...