Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's included in the non-Premium Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was talking about auto packages in another context, and it got me wondering - what exactly do you get in a non-premium M3? I know a few things like premium audio, glass roof, heated seats - OK sure (although a $35,000 car without heated seats - that's some junk). But look at the list per the website (below).

Center console - what would they do without the current center console? No USB ports? No storage (it's just an empty bucket)? What would they even put there?

Custom driver profiles? Really? Isn't this just the most basic software?

Satellite maps? I guess that makes sense although they really ought to add Apple Carplay or similar.

I never really thought about it, because it wasn't really an option for me, but this is pretty odd. IMO a $35,000 car should have heated seats, folding mirrors, etc standard, or AT LEAST should't bundle them into a $5,000 package - I couldn't care less about fog lamps or high end audio. I think Tesla would be well served to make these a bit more a la carte when (If?) the time comes to make the base M3.
tlsa.JPG

Reactions: cwerdna and webdbbt
Was talking about auto packages in another context, and it got me wondering - what exactly do you get in a non-premium M3? I know a few things like premium audio, glass roof, heated seats - OK sure (although a $35,000 car without heated seats - that's some junk). But look at the list per the website (below).

Center console - what would they do without the current center console? No USB ports? No storage (it's just an empty bucket)? What would they even put there?

Satellite maps? I guess that makes sense although they really ought to add Apple Carplay or similar.

I never really thought about it, because it wasn't really an option for me, but this is pretty odd. IMO a $35,000 car should have heated seats, folding mirrors, etc standard, or AT LEAST should't bundle them into a $5,000 package - I couldn't care less about fog lamps or high end audio. I think Tesla would be well served to make these a bit more a la carte when (If?) the time comes to make the base M3.
View attachment 344200
chevy bolt does not even have power seats and costs over 35k

Cloth non power seats with felt headliner, hard plastic dash and door panels, much worse audio, metal roof, (not sure what they will do with the mirrors), No foglights. That's my guess, probably as good as anyone's, although I guess they may neuter some of the maps and stuff, it does not seem like it would save them any money doing so, and with more cars coming to market next year and no tax incentive they need to be competitive.

I would think it would have the same USB ports and center console.

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
I’ve been saying for some time that the non-premium Model 3 is probably going to shock some people (probably those holding out for the $35k version). We’ve been living with the premium interior since the beginning and people are taking it for granted.

My guesses:
  • Metal roof
  • Manual seats
  • No heated seats
  • Cloth interior
  • A lot of plastic (ala Bolt)
  • No wood pore dash
  • Simplified/no center console
  • No rear vents
  • No rear USB
  • Really basic sound system
  • Cheaper steering wheel
I don’t think they’ll try to differentiate on software. Still, it’s going to be unlike anything we’ve seen from Tesla before.

The S and X have set an example for standard versus premium for previous versions.

Basic seat adjustments, cloth "multi-pattern textile" seats or similar. Some people preferred them.
No rear seat heaters.
Simpler audio, no subwoofer.
Metal roof.
Plastic dash accent instead of wood/whatever the white stuff is. I would think the rest of the dash and interior would stay about the same.
Not much guidance on center console, but maybe open compartments, fewer USB's, no phone dock, fixed armrests?
Mirrors might not auto-fold, not heated.
No profiles would be annoying, but unless the seats are manually controlled it doesn't seem like a savings for Tesla.
No fog lamps.
Have to pay for premium connectivity from the start instead of after one free year.

That would be pretty similar to non-premium S & X.

Reactions: adaptabl
...OK sure (although a $35,000 car without heated seats - that's some junk).

IMO a $35,000 car should have heated seats, folding mirrors, etc standard, or AT LEAST should't bundle them into a $5,000 package - I couldn't care less about fog lamps or high end audio. I think Tesla would be well served to make these a bit more a la carte when (If?) the time comes to make the base M3.
Many of the Model 3's competitors do not have those items even at a higher base price.
Audi A4 doesn't have power seats or drivers profile without a $1000 package.
BMW 3 series doesn't add power seats without the $2000+ convenience tier or $1000 stand-alone

No, I'm sure it isn't basic and, even if it were, it certainly isn't free.

chevy bolt does not even have power seats and costs over 35k

Cloth non power seats with felt headliner, hard plastic dash and door panels, much worse audio, metal roof, (not sure what they will do with the mirrors), No foglights. That's my guess, probably as good as anyone's, although I guess they may neuter some of the maps and stuff, it does not seem like it would save them any money doing so, and with more cars coming to market next year and no tax incentive they need to be competitive.

I would think it would have the same USB ports and center console.

I’m guessing power fold mirrors will be gone. I also suspect that the Aero wheels will not have a stylish rim underneath the plastic cover but rather just a cheap rim.

The S and X have set an example for standard versus premium for previous versions.

Basic seat adjustments, cloth "multi-pattern textile" seats or similar. Some people preferred them.
No rear seat heaters.
Simpler audio, no subwoofer.
Metal roof.
Plastic dash accent instead of wood/whatever the white stuff is. I would think the rest of the dash and interior would stay about the same.
Not much guidance on center console, but maybe open compartments, fewer USB's, no phone dock, fixed armrests?
Mirrors might not auto-fold, not heated.
No profiles would be annoying, but unless the seats are manually controlled it doesn't seem like a savings for Tesla.
No fog lamps.
Have to pay for premium connectivity from the start instead of after one free year.

That would be pretty similar to non-premium S & X.

The difference being that the non-premium S and X are still $80,000. I’d expect some pretty drastic reduction in quality in the non-premium 3.

Many of the Model 3's competitors do not have those items even at a higher base price.
Audi A4 doesn't have power seats or drivers profile without a $1000 package.
BMW 3 series doesn't add power seats without the $2000+ convenience tier or $1000 stand-alone

Exactly - $1,000 is a lot less than $5,000

No, I'm sure it isn't basic and, even if it were, it certainly isn't free.

Come on. My cell phone can recognize my face, and costs a lot less than $35,000. I understand the complications and on-going investment in Autopilot make an incremental fee for enabling the software reasonable, but software that remembers mirror, wheel and seat positions? It's 2018. My 2008 Volvo has this technology. My guess is actually that they didn't include this because without power seats, this feature is much less useful.

Well we know the Standard config base 35K will have the option on the battery--standard range or long-range. So that's a given. I assume the paint colors will remain the same as for the other versions with same pricing. Expect the wheel options will be the same as well.

I believe solid roof will be standard along with manual adjust seats and a more basic sound system with fewer speakers (think that was true for the Model S without PUP when we bought ours). Cloth seats will be standard. Likely RWD standard with no option for AWD. EAP and FSD will be options. No change to all versions having same cameras and sensors. I do think the base model will have a very nicely styled interior just different materials used. Tesla IMO doesn't or won't do ugly.

I think the interior door panels will be all hard moulded plastic without the soft material on the side panel. I actually find the texture of the plastic very nice, cleans well; and I could careless if my AWD PUP didn't have the soft material added so see the elimination of it a real possibility.

I believe Standard model will have several options available. Tesla would be happy to offer a 35K version and have owners upgrade ($$) or customize a few things. Don't expect them to go crazy with customizable options though so as to keep their slimmed down production line moving as rapidly as possible.

I do wonder if with the solid roof if a sunroof won't be made available. Maybe not initially but at some point down the road. Lots of people like this feature (myself included) and it's another cost upgrade which would help the bottom line.

I don’t think Tesla is going to make a super cheap looking car. Some of you guys are going super drastic. We also have to remember they won’t want to complicate production too much.

They also want to maintain margins. They'll want most people who opt for the standard range RWD to take the premium interior.

This is pretty much inline with the market... not many people buy an Audi or BMW and take the base model (except leasers).

Well we know the Standard config base 35K will have the option on the battery--standard range or long-range. So that's a given. I assume the paint colors will remain the same as for the other versions with same pricing. Expect the wheel options will be the same as well.

I believe solid roof will be standard along with manual adjust seats and a more basic sound system with fewer speakers (think that was true for the Model S without PUP when we bought ours). Cloth seats will be standard. Likely RWD standard with no option for AWD. EAP and FSD will be options. No change to all versions having same cameras and sensors. I do think the base model will have a very nicely styled interior just different materials used. Tesla IMO doesn't or won't do ugly.

I think the interior door panels will be all hard moulded plastic without the soft material on the side panel. I actually find the texture of the plastic very nice, cleans well; and I could careless if my AWD PUP didn't have the soft material added so see the elimination of it a real possibility.

I believe Standard model will have several options available. Tesla would be happy to offer a 35K version and have owners upgrade ($$) or customize a few things. Don't expect them to go crazy with customizable options though so as to keep their slimmed down production line moving as rapidly as possible.

I do wonder if with the solid roof if a sunroof won't be made available. Maybe not initially but at some point down the road. Lots of people like this feature (myself included) and it's another cost upgrade which would help the bottom line.

Elon has said there will be an AWD option for the SR battery.

No heated seats, cloth instead of leather, no glass roof, no fog lights, no autofolding mirrors, lesser but not awful audio, and maybe some cosmetic/aesthetics (no wood dash). I think that will be it.

I'd rather they make an attractive vehicle at 35K than be smug about the value I got in the PUP I was forced to pay for as an early adopter. IOW, I'd hate to see them make arbitrary software limitations like a lack of profiles just so PUP purchasers can feel good.

A number of people has said no heated seats, and I definitely don't agree with that. A non-PUP Model 3 is going to focus on maximizing value while minimizing cost. What does that mean?

• Soft Touch material will remain on much of the car as possible this isn't a particularly expensive manufacturing price (unless it requires extra labor). I don't expect any alcantara to stay though.
  • Anything motorized will be removed if reasonable such as:
    • Motorized Steering
    • Power Seats
    • Auto folding+heated+dimming mirrors. The mirrors will still be remotely adjustable of course.
    • With the removal of most of the functions, custom driver profiles would mostly be unnecessary (except for the mirror part).
  • Heated seats WILL remain as every electric car since the 90s had them, and is pretty much a requirement to maintain range. It does not sound particularly expensive to add to the front.
  • Premium Audio (speakers will be same quality but # of them will be reduced).
  • No rear USB ports (not much value TBH)
  • No free LTE
  • Panoramic rear glass roof will remain. The sun roof will disappear.
  • Aero wheels will remain. Maybe cheaper tires? Or no options for sports tires? (guesses here)

I guess we'll find out in a few months. Expect not until after first of new year however as I'm sure their focus will be on getting as many current versions into the hands of customers before year end Federal tax credit expires.

I don't expect a non-premium version of the Model 3 to make it until probably late 2019 (3rd Qtr at the earliest) if not 2020. Given the substantive level of changes in the car, I'd suspect new crash testing and other requirements would be needed before it could be sold.

• Disagree
Reactions: MXWing and adaptabl
A number of people has said no heated seats, and I definitely don't agree with that. A non-PUP Model 3 is going to focus on maximizing value while minimizing cost. What does that mean?

• Soft Touch material will remain on much of the car as possible this isn't a particularly expensive manufacturing price (unless it requires extra labor). I don't expect any alcantara to stay though.
  • Anything motorized will be removed if reasonable such as:
    • Motorized Steering
    • Power Seats
    • Auto folding+heated+dimming mirrors. The mirrors will still be remotely adjustable of course.
    • With the removal of most of the functions, custom driver profiles would mostly be unnecessary (except for the mirror part).
  • Heated seats WILL remain as every electric car since the 90s had them, and is pretty much a requirement to maintain range. It does not sound particularly expensive to add to the front.
  • Premium Audio (speakers will be same quality but # of them will be reduced).
  • No rear USB ports (not much value TBH)
  • No free LTE
  • Panoramic rear glass roof will remain. The sun roof will disappear.
  • Aero wheels will remain. Maybe cheaper tires? Or no options for sports tires? (guesses here)

I don't expect a non-premium version of the Model 3 to make it until probably late 2019 (3rd Qtr at the earliest) if not 2020. Given the substantive level of changes in the car, I'd suspect new crash testing and other requirements would be needed before it could be sold.

They will have to produce it sooner than that to keep sales going.

No crash test will be needed for these cosmetic changes.