Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's inside the Gen 2 charging adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the sake of science, I took apart a Model 3 Gen 2 NEMA 10-30 adapter to see how it communicates the charging current to the UMC. The Gen 1 adapters which have been used for Model S and Model X achieve this by means of an internal resistor connected between ground and the communication pin. The Gen 2 adapters however do not use a resistor - instead there's this little circuit board, slightly larger than a fingernail, buried deep inside the adapter and connected to the two communication pins:
gen2circuit.jpg

managed to do something similar with a 16A 240v Commando/Cee-form adaptor

hey,
I did fail to retrofit 16A plug with European blue Commando/Cee in order to get 32A for my US imported Tesla, becasue I was now aware that inside plug for Gen 2 there is kind of ASIC/SoC

below picture from internet.
pcba-2-resized-4.jpg

My question would be:
  • as I do have now plug (12A US type) cut off from adapter, do you guys have any idea how to upgrade it to EU 32A Blue Commando/CEE ? Are those circuit board avaiable on aftermarket?

hey,
I did fail to retrofit 16A plug with European blue Commando/Cee in order to get 32A for my US imported Tesla, becasue I was now aware that inside plug for Gen 2 there is kind of ASIC/SoC

below picture from internet.
View attachment 974132

My question would be:
  • as I do have now plug (12A US type) cut off from adapter, do you guys have any idea how to upgrade it to EU 32A Blue Commando/CEE ? Are those circuit board avaiable on aftermarket?
Start with a 32a U.S. adapter instead. Then you'll have a board that communcates 32a back to the mobile connector.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Can't you simply buy one from Tesla? Alternatively you could also just buy one ready made from evseadapters. They sell various European adapters that work just like the Tesla ones.
The thing was to make me and Earth happy by to retrofiting and reusing piece of product for which resources were used for its production.... simple.
Now unfortunatly I do need put additional load to my trash.