Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's it worth? 2018 M3 Long Range RWD AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any source on that? I see this statement made a lot but haven’t seen any evidence to support it. We are in Q1, their slowest time of every year. Yet somehow the trade in values have cratered ~50% in just a two-three month timeframe? There is something else going on because in the US, they are definitely getting closer to market value. A friend of mine just got a quote for his 2018 LR RWD with more mileage than mine and was offered $38k USD which is right around private market value here after currency conversion. Yet all the recent stories in Canada are just laughable numbers. If they don’t want to accept trades then they should just stop instead of wasting everyone’s time with these incredibly low numbers. Again, I have no horse in this race right now but I am definitely on the side of seeing things get better for others.

Tesla also wholesales trades. They don’t keep nor sell every car they take in. So to keep hearing this argument about how it’s such a burden for them is quite puzzling. They are just shuffling paperwork around to facilitate them.

If I were to agree to their laughable offer, they’d likely turn around and list my car for sale for around $50k on their used site with very little to no money in on it from them due to the great condition of my car. Otherwise they’d just send it off to their wholesaler and not do anything at all except some paperwork.
I agree, I’d love to see Tesla able to do better, but to date Tesla has never really been able to handle it, at least as far as I’ve seen.
What was the company Tesla was using for their wholeseller before? I remember it being in the news for doing a shitty job, but I don’t remember all the details. Where Tesla isn’t a part of the dealership network (as far as I know), they can’t get rid of used cars that way. At least not without having a middleman in there, which jacks the costs.

I agree, I’d love to see Tesla able to do better, but to date Tesla has never really been able to handle it, at least as far as I’ve seen.
What was the company Tesla was using for their wholeseller before? I remember it being in the news for doing a shitty job, but I don’t remember all the details. Where Tesla isn’t a part of the dealership network (as far as I know), they can’t get rid of used cars that way. At least not without having a middleman in there, which jacks the costs.
The way a sales advisor explained it to me previously was that they work with several wholesalers. They intake the info from the customers then submit it to a bidding system and whichever wholesaler spits out the highest price, that’s the number that’s given to the customer.

When I traded in my car, I went through that system in 2018. They just took the keys from me then they let the wholesaler know it was there to be picked up and they grab them in batches I believe. Tesla had minimal involvement for my trade in process other than doing some paperwork. My understanding also with regards to taking in used Teslas is that they wholesale out the ones in rough shape and resell the ones in better condition. So in that case it seems very likely that they would take my car in for $23k, clean it then list it up for sale on the Tesla used site for closer to $50k which is in line with the other LR RWD cars with similar mileage/options.

Hi all, I know you all aren't necessarily trying to sell your vehicles, but I'm in the market for some like those described on this forum. I'm located in VA but willing to travel, ESPECIALLY if on the lower south east coast. Please PM me if you're looking to sell!