Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's left to improve on the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest wish for now is:

Voice control in different languages.
I can speak english OK, but I have no idea how to pronounce "Haaksbergerstraat 12, Enschede" in english so that the car will understand me.. Basicly the only place I can navigate to with voice command, is McDonalds.... :frown:

I mean no offense here, but omg i burst out in laughter so bad I had to go blow my nose! That just made my day! :tongue:
(I hope they resolve your problem soon)

With all the upgrades in the last few years I'm left to wonder what else can be substantially improved.

maybe the seats (cooling), maybe the sound system, maybe heads up display?

what else?

Battery capacity, Battery capacity, Battery capacity.

Seriously, on East Coast if you get away from I-95 there is very little in the way of charging options. We really want to drive along Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway but the current battery capacity makes it pretty much impossible. A 350-400 mile range would allow us to explore new places that we currently can't get to on the East Coast.

forgot to mention,

non leather option for next generation seats

+1 on idea of somehow making this more quantifiable for Tesla, there are many more very good ideas than I expected for a car I already like so much.

1. 4 motors, 1 for each wheel.
2. More range.
3. Faster supercharging.
4. Vegan leather upholstery like a lot of trainers and office chairs now
5. Automatic sunshades for pano roof or glass that turns opaque at switch of button.
6. More paint colours.

Maybe I'm just lazy but I would like to see autonomousparallel parking. I think all of the necessary hardware is there.

Maybe I'm overly presumptuous, but I had assumed that when Tesla rolls out the ability for the car to park itself, it would include being able to identify and put itself into parallel parking spaces while you're still in the car.

Tesla never said so - I just assumed, since it's a simpler problem (and you're correct, the car has enough information to do it.)

Seatback pockets on the back of the front seats
Better ventilation system (the fans are still kind of wonky, giving less air on the driver's side than the passenger side)
Better cold weather performance (any number of ways to tweak this, starting with insulation)
Better cupholders, front and rear
Less useless center "cupholder" area (what is up with that design anyway?)
Rear USB outlets
More LIGHT paint colors. (Purple? Green? Yellow? Baby blue? Orange?)

Obviously the big improvement would be a hell of a lot more Superchargers. Battery capacity is still low enough in the winter that about 4 times as many are needed in the snowbelt as are planned.

With all the upgrades in the last few years I'm left to wonder what else can be substantially improved.

maybe the seats (cooling), maybe the sound system, maybe heads up display?

what else?
Agreed seat cooling... sound... overall interior materials, etc.
-Better/More cup holders
-More/Better sound deadening
-More/Better interior storage
-tighter turning radius
-LTE, faster CPU/GPU's, better screens
-more intuitive UI improvements and performance improvements
-more NAV improvements
-More apps
-Bigger battery 100kWh?
-LED headlights
-Rear seat center armrest and cup holders without losing fold down rear seats
-When you open the driver's door, the steering wheel and seat adjust for your pre-defined easy exit/ingress setting (wording taken from previous poster)

trailer_hitch.jpg

Factory mounted Euro-spec. trailer hitch as an option. (Picture above for illustrational purposes only...)

Here's the thread:

Model S trailer hitch testing? | TMC

A Tesla Model S version of Saab's Night Panel, formerly known as the Saab Black Panel.
Saab however used green backlight. Since I'm soon going to be pushing 40 I'll rather have a red backlight which will make me look A LOT better... :wink:

Something I came up with while watching some pictures of the Model S dashboard.

When I'm driving at night I try to turn down the light in my car as much as possible, that makes visibility better.

Something that is used in aviation /.../ is the highlighting of important data and disabling data which doesn't matter at that moment.

I think Saab implemented this in their cars, they would only illuminate that part of the speedo where the needle is. Why light the whole speedo when just your speed is important.

Why light up the oil/coolant temp when they are inside normal values?

This way you take away unnecessary information input to the driver.

I don't expect this to be in the Model S from launch, but since it's a computer rendered screen it would be possible to implement the same.

This way you could have a minimalistic HUD with only displaying what you need, for example: Why show me my SoC when I have more range then my navigation destination is set to? /...
[Tesla] could do their own version of Saab’s Black Panel/Night Panel.

Skip to 0:41-0:49 & 0:58-1:04 (~):

...] One Saab innovation, inspired by the company's roots in aeronautics, was the 'Black Panel' feature /…/, which extinguished most instrument panel lights at the touch of a button on the [dashboard], to eliminate distraction from dash lights during night driving. While active, this feature permitted darkened instruments to re-illuminate themselves when they required driver attention - if say, the engine speed increased alarmingly or if the fuel level should drop below 15 litres (4 US gal). /.../ This feature was later renamed 'Night Panel' in Saab 9-3 and Saab 9-5 models. In the later Night Panel version, the speedometer is only illuminated up to the 87 mph/140 km/h mark. The remainder of the scale will only be illuminated if the speed of the car exceeds 84 mph/135 km/h. [...

Saab 900/Night Panel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/...

Here are the complete threads with the quotes above:

Pilot dashboard for driving at night | TMC

Night-time driving; Dash too bright, even at 0% setting. - Post #29 | TMC

Last edited by a moderator: