Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's left to improve on the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't read the whole thread but this is my wish list:

Ac seats

Heated and cooled cup holders

Speed sensitive volume (also pano aware to adjust the levels with the pano open). Perhaps even put in sound canceling microphones to assist with this.

120v inverter in centre console

12v and 120v outlet in Frunk and trunk.

An Eco cruise control mode to help with extending range. Letting the speed drift a bit when ascending and descending hills.

Auto closing sunroof (windows too) while parked if it starts to rain.

Record video from cameras prior 10 seconds and post 1 minute if car is Jared while parked along with app alert.

Stronger regen (or slider adjustable to custom tailor it for your specific normal stopping rate.)

408bb6ceb3d30ed4a61f700b8d7cc4d0.jpg

We need a Nomad (wagon) version of the Model S

I agree with all the stuff I have heard so far: Parallel Autopark, Camera front and back record options - possibly to USB drive, Plugshare Integration into Nav, Better heating and cooling in Cabin, its not very aggressive on Auto, APP Developers kit and API, Minimal version of screens or ability to turn off, Clothes hanger, better lighting, ability to turn interior lights off when in park.

Things I would like to see: Auto Cruise control based on signes viewed, Aggressive cabin heating or cooling while plugged in, Ability to program start time from phone app based on when I want to leave, Ability to know when wheels are losing traction on launch, Ability to edit suspension raising and lowing locations, Sonar sound frequencies based on distance, Tie down rings in rear compartment, Storage of some type in the car, grab handles for passengers to hold onto, better tire options for new wheels.

I mean no offense here, but omg i burst out in laughter so bad I had to go blow my nose! That just made my day! :tongue:
(I hope they resolve your problem soon)
Aah! So now you know how to pronounce it (Haaksbergerstraat 12, Enschede) correctly!

As far as Model S: in addition to above-mentioned, noise-cancelling technology in the passenger cabin would be a fine improvement.

Love all these thoughts...
1. Custom scheduling of preheat /cool of car and battery pack. I would like my battery pack warm and ready prior to leaving and while plugged in. Especially in winter. I would understand that I would be using more electricity so this is a choice.
2. Use my driver window controls prior car start as presets for driver 1, 2, 3, 4, buttons as I cannot reach the screen if my tiny wife leaves her settings active. OR have the app allow me to reset to me. Or, have an option to move seat and steering wheel out of my way every time and I chose my settings from the list.
3. Tesla Custom Feature: meaning I have TM customize my car settings to match my driving range, personality, etc. Fine tune my car using all available data on how I drive. Possibly telling me to inflate tires, or do this or that to improve performance/range, etc.
4. Along with that, let me see all my data or download my data about my MS so I can look at it. Kinda visible tesla for the rest of us.
5. Improved Valet mode, I really want the screen blank. Just a login code. That is it. Maybe some instructions on how to deal with a MS, but that is all. Nothing else works/shown.
6. I agree with cooling seats, Better blind spot signal location, as is now its kinda lame, ( I would pay for updated mirrors), More cup holders (esp the back seats), extended seat belts for the back (hard to click in), impossible for booster seats. Better frunk and trunk lighting.
7. I would argue for a charger that stays on garage floor, and when you pull up, it moves and locates the charge point and pushes up into the car. You never see it or touch it, instead of robotic arm. Kinda locates like the space shuttle docking.
8. A right rear charging port. Seems silly to have one on left if you park on street in US and want to use a charging station.
9. More radar and cameras, front rear, sides. Better warning if I am going to change lanes and someone is screaming up fast behind me. Same with crossing blind traffic radar.
10. Spray cleaner and air blower of rear camera, to clear it up.
11. Eco mode for super range. Limits acceleration, speed for extended range, no just range mode. Eco/Sport/Insane. Or I can choose to just drive with the smaller of the 2 motors in summer. Torque sleep bigger motor manually.
12. Regen "feel" to always be active, but not necessarily regen battery. It is very confusing to have regen off, and on, its best if it always feels on, and the software limits the actual charge to battery. Kinda dangerous for new drivers.
13. TM work very hard for Superchargers everywhere, including turnpikes, food plazas, hotels, etc.
14. Drove a rental recently that had buttons on the steering wheel on the back side, you could only feel them at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. Like volume up down on one side and station change on the other.
15. Software updates with specific release notes, even if it says bug fixes
16. Tesla watch app
17. Make a "Hey Siri" like command, like "Hey Model S" or "Hey Petie" (thats my car's name) and it listens to me for a command, like open sunroof 50 percent. You mute radio to enable.
18. Give me actual tire pressure readings from TPMS.
19. Rear wiper?
20. Optional frunk battery/deep rear trunk battery to extend range. Gives us that extra to make a P100D! Might even out the weight with front and back extra packs.

There really should be a poll to capture this stuff for Tesla.
I'd like to see them finally deliver on the media player. It is severely handicapped with poor bluetooth control. Why can't we use the metadata and photos from our own music? The photos don't oft-times match the album. Why can't I scrub within a song? Everyone else can? Why do I have to use my phone to call up a playlist, then select repeat or shuffle?? Everyone else can. Why can't I connect my phone to the USB and let the computer read the music off the phone?

Fix the center console cup holders. please :)

Let's add more features to the nav, like real favorites, more views, Waze integration

Let's fix the frunk. Why can't there be a motor to draw down the hood. I don't care about it opening with a motor. It doesn't really need that. It DOES need to have an easier way to close it besides highly specific hand placement and carefully modulated pressure.

Ummm...Let's put some better noise isolation in the wheel wells or cabin to eliminate the loud tire/road noises. My GMC does a much better job. Why can't Tesla? I don't care if it is done electronically as noise cancellation, just reduce the loud tire noises.

When the heck is Tesla gonna let us use the supposed HDD built into the sound system?? Is there a security concern here? Early adopters like me know what I'm talking about.

HUD would really be nice too

Rear seat cup holders that don't permanently cost you the middle seat. Or sit on the floor. You know, ones that my kids can actually use...

Lighted vanity mirrors.... I know, I know, we hashed this out a while ago, but it still would be nice to have them.

LED headlamps. Frivolous IMHO, but an improvement nonetheless.

WHEN ARE THE APPS COMING?? (sorry for yelling, but we've been waiting for nearly 3 years for the apps, and haven't really heard a peep sans the calendar app done in house.)

Bigger battery capacity, with better batteries that charge faster and hold their total capacity for longer.

4G and a better, more capable browser.

User selectable color schemes and themes for the screen and dash.

I generally don't want the items listed above that add more complexity, weight and moving parts. Autopilot and pano roof are good exceptions to this rule. And there may be a few more things like that. But Washer and wiper for backup camera lens?! Seriously?

The most useful improvement is to have a brake hold whenever the vehicle is stationary. Same as MBHK & VW. This brake can be released when the accerator or the brake paddle is pressed, or put in the park gear. This can replace the hill assist and very much useful. There should be a display showing this function is in use.

I was wonder why someone whose location according to their profile is Route 8 in Alaska would want to set the SatNav to go to Enschede in the Netherlands? (I looked it up by the way). That is some journey!

Ans. #1. Maar...mijn zuster woont in de buurt van Enschede

Ans. #2. That wasn't me - I was responding to another's

:)

SOFTWARE-ONLY FIXES RIGHT NOW THAT WOULD HELP MY CAR
1. Add door lock/unlock to the always-present strip at the bottom of the main console.
2. Add a way to put “via waypoints” into your route, that aren’t just Superchargers.
3. Add a display of suspension height to the dashboard. “L/S/H/VH.” It’s impossible to tell what mode you’re in without taking your eyes off the road and potentially wading through menus.

MISSING STUFF TO ADDRESS FIRST ON NEW PRODUCTION CARS
1. Cooled seats, or, in leiu of that, ventilated leather seats
2. Better A/C in the rear-facing seat area
3. Better HVAC controls for rear seat passengers – reduces driver distractions
4. Physical volume knob for media volume, so you can turn it up or down FAST
5. Physical door lock controls on driver’s door
6. Coat hangar hooks
7. Grab handles all over the place. Passengers need something to hold on to – there is all this hype about how fast the car is but nothing for passengers to hold on to when you’re demonstrating. Look at interiors of Hyundai Veloster and Porsche Cayenne for examples.
8. Better cupholders in front and rear.
9. The center front armrest/cupholder situation is a design disaster. It needs to be way more functional and more comfortable. For example, armrest that moves back and forth with the seat. My Infiniti Q45 had this. Make sure the cups don’t impinge into your arm space!!! Who needs cupholders that are basically where your elbow rests???
10. More interior storage – door sills, pockets in the rear of the front seats and so on.
11. Fix the design of the front of the frunk lid so that it doesn’t get that crazy “dent.”
12. Put a foldaway center armrest that includes cupholders and USB power into the center of the rear seatback.
13. Vanity mirrors that have lights in them
14. Bigger sun visors, inc. something for the middle area behind the rear-view mirror

FUTURE STUFF
1. A way to play CDs – perhaps, plug a portable CDROM drive into one of the USB sockets
2. Browser can play Flash video when you are Park
3. Is Henry Ford in charge of the interior carpet colours? We need more than black, especially because you can’t see very easily to find things that have fallen on the floor or trunk. This is a $75,000 car… even my Honda Civic had three carpet colours.
4. Trailer hitch
5. Media player can play movies when you are in Park
6. SDK so that new apps can be created? Would love to see a native Plugshare App.
7. Bring back Silver Metallic and add British Racing Green to the colour choices J
8. Respond to more voice commands for things that aren’t immediately accessible, for example “frunk unlock” or “suspension very high”
9. An indicator for when Torque Sleep is in effect (AWD). Will make you a better driver to learn it.
10. An indicator for when the Brake Lights are on. The Tesla Model S is the only car that puts its brake lights on without the driver touching the brake pedal… I would like to know when this is happening!
11. Retract driver’s seat and steering wheel during ingress/egress. My Infiniti Q45 had this.
12. Proper flat alloy wheels for improved range. They don’t look as cool as spokes, but you can go further! Tesla needs to blaze this trail.
13. A “read-only passcode” for the Tesla smartphone app. When you use this passcode, you only get to see where the car is, what the range is and so on – you can’t honk the horn, unlock it or operate the HVAC etc..
14. Four Wheel Steering to help with turn radius and highway-speed handling.
15. Roof Rack capability when you don’t have the panoramic roof!
16. Cameras all around the car for maneuvering etc..
17. A “record video” feature for the cameras all around the car. Will work for insurance etc.. Occupants supply the video storage.
18. Some way to cool the motor/invertor at high speeds so it can be raced for longer periods.
19. LTE internet speed
20. Faster computer running the center touchscreen. Performance is often slow, jerky and downright unresponsive.
21. Auto-opening & closing frunk! Once you’ve gotten used to the back trunk doing it… you don’t want to have to do it yourself J
22. Add available charging outlets on the right-hand-side of the car and on the front. Allow any one or all to be specified in the Design Studio when ordering the car. (at extra cost, natch – this is Tesla J )
23. The Second-Generation seats are still pretty nasty-looking, in the grand scheme of things. Please make them more attractive.
24. USB sockets for rear passengers (both rows)
25. Sound deadening in the area of the rear seat seatbelt slots – if your ear is anywhere around there you hear a bunch of road noise
26. I like the idea of the Saab Night Panel as suggested by SwedishAdvocate. This could be taken to the next level by Tesla, with displays that are completely in software. Basically the car could adapt to ongoing changes in conditions and introduce items into the display only when necessary. This would have to be defeatable… so the driver could simply see everything if they so choose.
27. Change the two displays to OLED, as long as there is no image retention (which I concede could be a stopper)
28. Spotify music streaming
29. Currently the music system “dims” whenever the driver’s door opens. Improve this so that it dims when ANY door opens.
30. Brake Hold is very cool. It should activate if you take your foot off the brake, Creep is off, and the speed of the car is zero. Basically, holding the car until you want to move.
31. 12V and 120V/240V AC (depending on market) available in rear trunk area.
32. If battery regen is attenuated in cold weather, divert the generated power to the cabin heater. Waste not, want not!
33. Camera on the front nose of the car to help you with maneuvering.
34. Push notification of OS updates on the Android smartphone app!!!
35. CUSTOM PAINT COLOURS. You can have any colour you want. You specify it in the Design Studio, and for a non-refundable $500 fee you can have a 6”-square piece of metal sent to you with the colour you’ve selected sprayed onto it. This way you won’t bother them with a hundred metal orders (because it will cost you $50,000)
36. An optional way to keep cameras clean automatically. Not sure what this would be… and it could be expensive.
37. Eco Mode for long range. You opt into it. Torque sleep on all the time, top speed is limited, and on level ground and downwards slope, acceleration is limited. When you are on an upwards slope you still get to go up the slope!