TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's more efficient, RWD with 19"wheels, or AWD with 18"wheels?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Big1matt, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Big1matt

Big1matt Member

I'm looking to get a RWD model 3 with 19"wheels, but thinking of also getting AWD, but really like the I increased efficiency of RWD. Maybe AWD with 18" areos will be a good compromise compared to RWD with 19"?

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

dunno, but I'll guess AWD with 18".

3. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

I think RWD with 19s are more efficient but its going to be close and a toss up. Also depends on the speed.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Personally I'd go with 18" aeros with an AWD.

Now I don't think it will overtake a RWD with 19" in efficiency, but it's going to be so close that you won't notice.

I also think it's important not to put too much emphasis on it. It's pretty easy to modulate efficiency because it changes so much with speed, and whether you drive aggressively.

5. sreams

sreams Member

You know what's more efficient than either of them? RWD with 18s.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

AWD is supposed to be more efficient on the highway and RWD in town. 18" is more efficient than 19". So AWD vs RWD depends on your driving conditions.

7. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

18s with Aeros on RWD

8. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

I don’t think this is true with the 3. The PMSR motor makes the RWD very efficient on the highway. The extra induction motor on the AWD does not help on the highway.

• Like x 1
  9. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

AWD is about 10% less efficient on the highway and city.
    I don’t think 18” aero wheels are going to make up for that.
    Gas Mileage of 2018 Tesla Model 3
    Funny how it says “gas mileage”. MPGe is such a stupid unit.

10. sroh

sroh Member

Based on 4 months with a RWD and 4 days with a AWD, I think the RWD with 19s will be more efficient than AWD with 18s.

With our RWD with 18s (aero covers taken off), we are averaging 240 wpm. The AWD with 18s (aero covers still on), we are at 280. Yes, the sample size is pretty small, but it's been similar type of driving. The RWD with 19s I would think would come in at 250-260 for us (4-8% hit).

• Like x 1
  11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Not for the Model 3. The S yes. Not the 3.

• Like x 1
  12. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

Agreed. It is as silly and out-dated as using wattage equivalence to denote the brightness of a light source.

13. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

As someone with an order in place for an AWD with 18in aero wheels, where can I get a handle on difference in range for 18 aero vs 19 inches wheels, given I have the AWD?

14. xav-

xav- Active Member

Spending $60k on a car with wheels that belong to a $12k car... it’s something that I can’t really understand.

Another big argument against AWD IMO..

Also worth mentioning the fact that the overinflated base tires have performance specs that are very disappointing....
    - 7 feet loss when stopping from 60 to 0.
    - .05g loss on lateral acceleration

And that is when compared to the 19 inch stock tires which are all season. There is a dedicated video made by Edmunds on this for those interested.

Not saying that AWD is not worth it for those who live in areas where it snows a lot though... the question is: it is worth it for the rest of us?

15. KenF

KenF Member

#15 KenF, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    There is little to no difference in performance (acceleration, stopping distance) between the Tesla 18” and 19” wheels. The difference is the tires. The 19” wheel package includes better all season tires than the stock 18” configuration. For about $1000, can purchase better all season tires for your 18” wheels than Tesla includes with the 19” wheels.

18” summer tires will crush the performance of Tesla’s 19” all season tires so long as the outdoor temperature is above 50 degrees.

• Informative x 1
  16. xav-

xav- Active Member

All I can say after owning the RWD car with the sport wheels is I believe the 10 percent efficiency loss is accurate. I would think it’s the same with AWD... judging that you are from Vermont maybe you could use those 18 inch wheels and stock tires for the winter... and order a nice set of wheels with performance tires for the rest of the rest of the time...

I.e. I think you are making a good call by ordering the base wheels... my 2 cents.

17. xav-

xav- Active Member

Not disagreeing with your post. Never said bigger wheels did. I just compared specs of the stock base vs sport wheels/tires. My main point is OP was talking about efficiency.. so I assumed that replacing those stock 18 inch tires with performance tires would take a noticeable hit on range as well!

My decision to purchase the upgraded wheels was motivated by:
    - looks (I don’t like the Aeros look and I don’t like the base wheels without the cover either)
    - performance gains
    - going third party was out of option cuz:
    1/ laziness (I don’t want to waste my time on eBay trying to sell something).. I have a bunch of surfboards hanging in my garage for years... likely those base wheels would have ended in my backyard.
    2/ I would rather give my money to Tesla than aftermarket tumers that have been ripping off people selling them $100 set of screws to improve the look of their wheels without the cover.. i have some ethics issues with those guys.. not to mention they don’t manufacture anything in the US but that is a separate topic

Not to mention I live in SoCal :)

18. VT_EE

VT_EE Member

I would not say the alloy wheels under the aero cover belong on a $12k car. They look better than the 19s IMO. Especially on a white car.

19. Perry

Perry Member

From what I hear the dual motor version losses about 20-30 miles per full charge and I think the 19" over the 18" don't loose that much.

20. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

Plenty of aftermarket options for wheels. The 18” wheels and tires are designed for efficiency. I’m going to get some wider wheels with summer tires for driving around town and keep the stock wheels for road trips and snow.
    AWD is a huge advantage in CA because with 2WD you are required to put on chains if there’s even a dusting of snow on the ground.