Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's my Model S worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating swapping my Model S for an M3 (got the invite this week). Tesla quoted me $46,800 for trade-in. I've heard that you can do much better at private sale or somewhere like CarMax.

Details:

Model S75D
Late 2016 (AP 1.0)
11,000 miles
Solid white paint
Black next-gen seats
Pano roof
Autopilot

The left rear of the car was scraped by another car and damaged while parked. Fully repaired at a Tesla authorized shop and looks like new.

I'd like to get at least $60k for this car. Is that unrealistic? Just looking for other's experience in trading-in/selling their Model S. Thanks!

Sounds reasonable. Best bet is to check the prices on Tesla's website as well as ev-cpo. Tesla is getting $73k for a 2015 85D with autopilot (and the CPO warranty of course). I just took delivery on a CPO 2015 85D three weeks ago from Tesla (loaded including dual chargers) for $70k.

I sold my '13 S at 4.5 years and 52k miles to Vroom.com. They offered $6k more than CarMax. Process was easy; used online form to upload 8 photos from specific angles and VIN. Response/offer was within a day and truck sent to pick up car about 5 days later.
I checked the Vroom website and saw it for sale at $42.5k so, not much markup.
Sold after a couple weeks to lucky person; great car (sniff).

I sold my '13 S at 4.5 years and 52k miles to Vroom.com. They offered $6k more than CarMax. Process was easy; used online form to upload 8 photos from specific angles and VIN. Response/offer was within a day and truck sent to pick up car about 5 days later.
I checked the Vroom website and saw it for sale at $42.5k so, not much markup.
Sold after a couple weeks to lucky person; great car (sniff).

Why did you not do a private sale?

Why did you not do a private sale?
I tried a private sale. Most credible offers were much lower. Plus lots of people offering and then contacting me to ask about the car and then it became clear they didn't know much about Teslas. One guy was irate that I didn't list the fact it didn't have AP or parking sensors (heck it's a 2013; it didn't even have folding mirrors). The best private offer was almost equal to Vroom; but with Vroom, Tesla would credit me back the ESA value which was almost $2k. So, I netted about $41k by selling to Vroom, without headache.

I tried a private sale. Most credible offers were much lower. Plus lots of people offering and then contacting me to ask about the car and then it became clear they didn't know much about Teslas. One guy was irate that I didn't list the fact it didn't have AP or parking sensors (heck it's a 2013; it didn't even have folding mirrors). The best private offer was almost equal to Vroom; but with Vroom, Tesla would credit me back the ESA value which was almost $2k. So, I netted about $41k by selling to Vroom, without headache.

So you traded it into Tesla? I'm assuming that's what you meant since you said Tesla credited you back $2k.

So if you sold your car and had an extended warranty on it, you can request Tesla to fund you back the amount of time left on the extended warranty before selling the vehicle?
Yes. In particular, if you sell to a dealer or other re-seller, they can't transfer the ESA to the next buyer so, it's worthless to them. So, after I sold it to Vroom, I contacted Tesla and asked them to cancel the ESA and refund the remaining value.

Tesla is SERIOUSLY low-balling on their offer... kind of messed up.

Definitely sell privately if you can. Or sell to Vroom or something (if you want it to be more hassle free).

On luxury cars, KBB is almost always too high. I have never been offered for trade-in at KBB trade-in level, usually a few k lower.

I just found out my 2013 P85 w/ 74,000 miles is only worth $40,000 private party. I can't even buy a Model 3 for what I can get. Sniff sniff.

Hi priced luxury cars depreciate a lot. I was looking at various things last year and saw 2013 BMW M5's with mid 40k miles going in the mid 40s. So those with 74k miles now probably go a lot lower than 40k. The M5 and the P85 were probably similarly priced cars when new. So the P85 has actually retained more value, assuming you actually can find a buyer at 40k. KBB is usually too high on their numbers for premium cars.