Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's needed to run a quicker ET for 2021 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been lurking and reading and still have some questions regarding the Model 3 Performance. If I'm wrong in any of the below let me know.

1. 2021 M3P with 20 wheels appears to be a consistent 11.6 - 11.8 / 115-117 vehicle regardless of condition other than level of battery charge.

2. Acceleration is the same whether you're level or uphill (indicating some software code is ensuring power to the wheels is adjusted accordingly).

3. There are no known performance specific power mods for the M3P. No after market tune, no aftermarket electric motor, etc..

So my question is what can be done to make a 2021 M3P accelerate quicker to run a faster quarter mile? There doesn't seem to be a consistent answer regarding:

- Wheel sizes and brands. Sure a stickier tire will hold grip but is there a known combo of wheel size/brand that actually results in quicker acceleration and faster quarter mile? If so which size / brand?

- The amount of "reasonable" weight reduction that actually makes a difference.

My question is specific to the 2021+ model and not the prior year models.

1. Turn off all accessories (lights, A/C, I even turn off AP, and safety monitoring etc.)
2. Use lighter forged wheels (ideally 18”)
3. Take out everything you can easily put back (mats, trunk and frunk liners, tow eye, etc.)
4. fold in the mirrors

Hard to believe uphill is same time.

Reactions: phantasms
Charge it to 100% and find someone 80lbs with quick reaction time. ;)

Frankly, this is one area where EVs area bit lame. There is really no drama, you just plant your foot and keep it straight and hit your 1/4 time again and again. Effective but boring. Maybe in the future there will be more tuning options for EVs. This will more than likely come from Dodge when they introduce their eMuscle cars in 2024. I assume they will add drive modes, maybe the ability to switch from AWD to RWD on the fly, relaxed traction and stability control to add some playfulness and maybe the soundtrack of a Hemi V8 playing through an 18 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system. etc.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Charge it to 100% and find someone 80lbs with quick reaction time. ;)

Frankly, this is one area where EVs area bit lame. There is really no drama, you just plant your foot and keep it straight and hit your 1/4 time again and again. Effective but boring. Maybe in the future there will be more tuning options for EVs. This will more than likely come from Dodge when they introduce their eMuscle cars in 2024. I assume they will add drive modes, maybe the ability to switch from AWD to RWD on the fly, relaxed traction and stability control to add some playfulness and maybe the soundtrack of a Hemi V8 playing through an 18 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system. etc.

Being a former Charger Hellcat owner yes I really I can't wait for their Charger EV version, which I'm certain will be faster and cheaper than a Plaid. But that's at least 3-4 years off, which is why I'm strongly considering just getting a M3P for now and see what's down the road in 3 years time. It's just really disappointing there's almost nothing you can do a M3 to make it faster than it is. Though being in Florida it would be nice to have a car that doesn't care about heat and humidity which is why I want an EV this time around (and probably forever from here on out) rather than getting a powerful ICE car like an M3/M5/Hellcat Redeye and constantly being slower than it should from the high heat and humidity for most months out of the year.

1. Turn off all accessories (lights, A/C, I even turn off AP, and safety monitoring etc.)
2. Use lighter forged wheels (ideally 18”)
3. Take out everything you can easily put back (mats, trunk and frunk liners, tow eye, etc.)
4. fold in the mirrors

Hard to believe uphill is same time.

How much of a difference would these make in terms of quarter mile performance and trap speed? I'd imagine the 18" wheels would make the biggest difference but don't see too many topics on this.

How much of a difference would these make in terms of quarter mile performance and trap speed? I'd imagine the 18" wheels would make the biggest difference but don't see too many topics on this.
shrug. small differences add up to a noticable difference. weight and air and rolling resistance are the main variables we can control. At the strip I routinely turn off other things that might draw power. It can’t hurt.

In movies and Star Trek episodes I used to think it was fake when they said “Route all power to the rear thrusters!” but maybe there is something to it. I route all power to the motors (i.e., turn off all other possible power drains) and have the fastest time slip on dragtimes for a P85DL.

You can also swap out the 28lb Battery with one of those 11lb OHMMU ones.
I would avoid Ohmmu. Have had nothing but issues with them, replaced a handful at this point. There are other, better options out there.

Being a former Charger Hellcat owner yes I really I can't wait for their Charger EV version, which I'm certain will be faster and cheaper than a Plaid. But that's at least 3-4 years off, which is why I'm strongly considering just getting a M3P for now and see what's down the road in 3 years time. It's just really disappointing there's almost nothing you can do a M3 to make it faster than it is. Though being in Florida it would be nice to have a car that doesn't care about heat and humidity which is why I want an EV this time around (and probably forever from here on out) rather than getting a powerful ICE car like an M3/M5/Hellcat Redeye and constantly being slower than it should from the high heat and humidity for most months out of the year.
I wouldn't count on the Dodge offering to be faster than the Plaid. Cheaper, maybe. Tesla is at least 5 years ahead of everyone else in drive unit and battery technology right now.

So, to answer your various questions - honestly the Model 3 is not a great drag strip platform. It's quick from 0-60, and it's OK up to about 90mph, but thereafter it really falls off a cliff. If you can afford it, the Plaid is a much better option for this purpose.

However, if your goal is to optimize the Model 3, there are things that can be which I will list from greatest impact to smallest.

1) Lightweight Wheels and Tires - yes this is the obvious one. Find the lightest package possible (forged wheels). Pretty much any summer tire should provide plenty of grip, drag tires or slicks are a complete waste.

2) Lightweight Rotors - the goal is to reduce rotational weight first. Mountain Pass Performance has some great factory replacements for sale that will shed weight.

3) Titanium Lug Nuts - basically the last rotational item that you can shed weight from. I've purchased two sets from www.hyevolt.com (forum member) and they have been great and are affordable.

4) Reduce All Other Weight - see my thread here. There's really not a whole lot you can just replace, besides the 12V battery, to drop considerable weight. I'd recommend MPP for your 12V. So, you're looking at removing things. The entire 2nd row seat assembly (bottom and backs) come out super easy. Obviously the frunk, rear trunk bottom, and floor mats are easy pickings. If you want to go crazy remove the passenger seat. That's really it without spending a lot of money or ripping your interior apart.

On my Performance Model Y I put on some flow-formed 20" wheels, titanium lug nuts, MPP rotors all around, MPP Coilovers, and an MPP 12V Battery and was able to capture the 1/8th and 1/4 mile records for the Y.

Screenshot_20210930-073301.png

I have gone full circle. :) I had a 2019 C7 Grand Sport that I traded for the 2019 Telsa M3P and now I have a 2021 Camaro ZL1.

The instant torque is amazing and the M3 makes for an all around great performance daily driver, less heat, low operating cost, etc. That said, after 2 years of ownership I found the M3P just lacks that excitement that you get from high powered ICE. The Model 3s are all locked down under full nanny control. Even with Track Mode the car is not as playful as you would like. You can't spin the tires, you can't kick the tail out unless you really, really push it in Track Mode, no drive modes, no exhaust note, it lacks sporty seats with bolstering to hold you in place, average brakes, uninspiring cockpit and gauges, etc. If you will be satisfied with the low end bursts of speed 0-60mph or so and all the other benefits of a EV performance sedan then it is a great car but if you think you will need more drama from a car like a Hellcat, Camaro, Corvette or Mustang then you may want to reconsider. The M3P is incredible from a dig to about 60mph, after that it pulls ok but kind of flat. The Hellcat is a different beast up top as you know, with 1/4 traps speed in the 126mph range vs. 115mph on the M3P. I missed the v8 exhaust note, rise and fall of the rpm when winding out the gears. I also prefer RWD only with a sportier suspension and magnetic dampers.

I am hopeful Dodge and others will bring some additional excitement to performance EVs. Aggressive styling, drive modes, sporty interiors, RWD with great driving dynamics that will be fun to drive.

My wife still has a M3 SR+ so I still get to drive these cars back to back, best of both worlds. ZL1 for fun, SR+ for running errands and saving fuel.

I like the Charger Hellcat and even though it has a higher trap speed, it still has to wind up to get there. And when I had mine I really hated the days when it was 99 degrees outside and more than 50% humid because it felt slower than stock on a cool day (had a lower pulley and tune). Also despite being down on power the M3P seems to do very well head to head:

It seems what I really want is a Model S for the price of a Model 3. 😅

I like the Charger Hellcat and even though it has a higher trap speed, it still has to wind up to get there. And when I had mine I really hated the days when it was 99 degrees outside and more than 50% humid because it felt slower than stock on a cool day (had a lower pulley and tune). Also despite being down on power the M3P seems to do very well head to head:

It seems what I really want is a Model S for the price of a Model 3. 😅
Yep. It is funny because the lack of grip and noise is what I find appealing. The M3 and probably all EVs moving forward, unless Dodge dials in some fun, will just used the advanced traction control, AWD, grip and go. In my M3P I could just mash the pedal in the rain and it would tear off without any tire slip. Effective but not fun IMO, but everyone appreciates something different in a car.

Agreed, you will eliminate the performance penalty of heat soak, high temp/humidity or higher elevations associated with ICE but on EV you also lose power as you lose state of charge. For example, a difference in 75% SOC vs. 45% SOC is worth 64 horsepower in this testing and the best practice for battery charging is 80-90% so you really only live in max power for a short amount of charge before you start losing significant amounts of power. So, if you are shooting for your best times on a drag strip you really need to show up with a high SOC. As for a road course, you add more challenges since as the battery warms up in the M3P the performance and track times start to decline and don't forget the added time and ability to recharge at the track. Pro and cons for sure but I am sure it will get better over time as battery tech and battery cooling and management systems improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS3Johanna
I have a video of making your M3 quicker coming very soon!

And I just happen to have a video of a model 3 vs a Charger Scat Pack on the highway. I would have thought the Charger to do much better given that the 3 runs out of power at higher speeds, but nope.
See for yourself -

Oh, and state of charge makes a big difference - (This is pre-acceleration boost)

Reactions: Dysan911
This will take some research but if you find the 18 inch tire that has the smallest circumference , that will have the effect of altering your final gear ratio and should cause an increase in acceleration…IMHO
Not exactly. This will just move the power band to the "left". So, while you may get a slightly quicker 0-60 you will almost certainly have a slower trap time as power will fall off even quicker at higher speeds.

Reactions: tm1v2
As an aside, in the way back machine, when I changed the 4.11 posi rear end to a 4.88 posi in my ‘62 Impala 409 SS, I got better zero to 60 AND better trap speed…. but what do I know
The difference being that the Model 3 is a single gear transmission with a completely different power band that peaks at low RPM and then falls off a clip as RPM's increase. There's no way to shift back into the sweet spot of the power band as you would in an ICE.

Reactions: tm1v2
The difference being that the Model 3 is a single gear transmission with a completely different power band that peaks at low RPM and then falls off a clip as RPM's increase. There's no way to shift back into the sweet spot of the power band as you would in an ICE.
That may be, but I'm not sure I follow how if it is easier to spin a wheel to its max RPM, that would result in a slower time to get there. Yes, it would lower the theoretical top speed, but it should get there faster. However, until someone tries it, this is conjecture.

My Pb is a 11.45 at 117mph. Completely stock 21 m3p in the dead of summer. Bat temps were just over 100F. Started at 89%, the car was deadly consistent to 80% where I ran my last run. But at 80% my mph was down by 1mph and I posted my slowest 1/4. I assume it was o Ly down hill from there. I did put some light weight 20s on shortly after. I was hoping to get to the track, but my schedule hasn't allowed. With it bein so cold now, it will be tough to compare findings. As these cars need heat to make power.

Reactions: xPETEx and doc333