Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's needed to run a quicker ET for 2021 M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Pb is a 11.45 at 117mph. Completely stock 21 m3p in the dead of summer. Bat temps were just over 100F. Started at 89%, the car was deadly consistent to 80% where I ran my last run. But at 80% my mph was down by 1mph and I posted my slowest 1/4. I assume it was o Ly down hill from there. I did put some light weight 20s on shortly after. I was hoping to get to the track, but my schedule hasn't allowed. With it bein so cold now, it will be tough to compare findings. As these cars need heat to make power.
If you have time can you tell me what the difference in circumference of the 21s versus the 20s are.

Sorry, i only made it out with the stock setup. Uberturbines with the pzeros. My other set are considerably lighter(have weights at home). There 20" fast fc04 on the oem size ps4s. So outside dimater would be identical. Both 235/35/20.
OK gotcha then other than the lighter weight it shouldn’t make too much of a difference CD. It might be that the tire set up I’m thinking of doesn’t exist but in my mind a tire with a smaller circumference would make a difference in the final gear ratios which should make a difference in the acceleration of the car. oh well we’ll see

I would avoid Ohmmu. Have had nothing but issues with them, replaced a handful at this point. There are other, better options out there.

I wouldn't count on the Dodge offering to be faster than the Plaid. Cheaper, maybe. Tesla is at least 5 years ahead of everyone else in drive unit and battery technology right now.

So, to answer your various questions - honestly the Model 3 is not a great drag strip platform. It's quick from 0-60, and it's OK up to about 90mph, but thereafter it really falls off a cliff. If you can afford it, the Plaid is a much better option for this purpose.

However, if your goal is to optimize the Model 3, there are things that can be which I will list from greatest impact to smallest.

1) Lightweight Wheels and Tires - yes this is the obvious one. Find the lightest package possible (forged wheels). Pretty much any summer tire should provide plenty of grip, drag tires or slicks are a complete waste.

2) Lightweight Rotors - the goal is to reduce rotational weight first. Mountain Pass Performance has some great factory replacements for sale that will shed weight.

3) Titanium Lug Nuts - basically the last rotational item that you can shed weight from. I've purchased two sets from www.hyevolt.com (forum member) and they have been great and are affordable.

4) Reduce All Other Weight - see my thread here. There's really not a whole lot you can just replace, besides the 12V battery, to drop considerable weight. I'd recommend MPP for your 12V. So, you're looking at removing things. The entire 2nd row seat assembly (bottom and backs) come out super easy. Obviously the frunk, rear trunk bottom, and floor mats are easy pickings. If you want to go crazy remove the passenger seat. That's really it without spending a lot of money or ripping your interior apart.

On my Performance Model Y I put on some flow-formed 20" wheels, titanium lug nuts, MPP rotors all around, MPP Coilovers, and an MPP 12V Battery and was able to capture the 1/8th and 1/4 mile records for the Y.

View attachment 723997
Still find it crazy that they slowed down the 2021. This is my 2019 with the all-season Continentals and the singular mod being aftermarket rotors. I haven't even been able to hit an 11.4 with my 21 yet.

Screenshot_20211026-051354.png

Still find it crazy that they slowed down the 2021. This is my 2019 with the all-season Continentals and the singular mod being aftermarket rotors. I haven't even been able to hit an 11.4 with my 21 yet.

View attachment 725923
I like how a bunch of people lost it when I showed data that the 2021 had no more power than the older models and was no faster. "But it has to be faster" lol. I'm not entirely sure it's slower either, all else being precisely equal, but it's definitely not faster.

For sure though, the 2021 charging curve is much worse. But, I expect that will be changed sooner than later. I hope.

I like how a bunch of people lost it when I showed data that the 2021 had no more power than the older models and was no faster. "But it has to be faster" lol. I'm not entirely sure it's slower either, all else being precisely equal, but it's definitely not faster.

For sure though, the 2021 charging curve is much worse. But, I expect that will be changed sooner than later. I hope.

What I feel personally (and we all have opinions on what people feel compared to what can be measured), is that the 21 was nerfed a bit on the hit from a dead stop and then it ramps extremely quickly when you get out a bit. On my 19, it hits like a hammer off the line then subsequently goes through a gradual reduction the entire way out. The 21 launches a bit softer off the line, but then you can feel it up the power when you're already out in motion (maybe somewhere around 30-40mph, I haven't tried to figure out specifically when it occurs).

For the most part they are fairly similar, but I have never seen a car manufacturer sell a newer 'performance oriented' car that was slower than an older model...there's no reason the M3P isn't already a 10 second car other than them nerfing output.

What I feel personally (and we all have opinions on what people feel compared to what can be measured), is that the 21 was nerfed a bit on the hit from a dead stop and then it ramps extremely quickly when you get out a bit. On my 19, it hits like a hammer off the line then subsequently goes through a gradual reduction the entire way out. The 21 launches a bit softer off the line, but then you can feel it up the power when you're already out in motion (maybe somewhere around 30-40mph, I haven't tried to figure out specifically when it occurs).

For the most part they are fairly similar, but I have never seen a car manufacturer sell a newer 'performance oriented' car that was slower than an older model...there's no reason the M3P isn't already a 10 second car other than them nerfing output.
I assume the 2018 and 2021 were using the same or similar wheels and tires?

It is incredibly annoying that Tesla advertised a faster 0-60 time with the 2021; and then it was no faster. And we know that there is more on the table because the Model Y has higher peak power with the same drivetrain configuration.

I assume the 2018 and 2021 were using the same or similar wheels and tires?

It is incredibly annoying that Tesla advertised a faster 0-60 time with the 2021; and then it was no faster. And we know that there is more on the table because the Model Y has higher peak power with the same drivetrain configuration.
with the 19 I had the 19" with oem continental all-season tires, with the 21 I ran it with the OEM ubers and pirellis the first day I had the car, then had those removed and put on the t0 PS4S, and both of those times were identical. The new wheels are on the way, and those will remove 32 pounds total, but as I found out with the 2019 car, lightweight wheels and rotors don't even increase performance a tenth of a second on any measurement...so they're more for just handling feel.

What I have not done yet is a 1/2 mile run in the 21. I'll be able to do that in a couple of weeks - car is in the shop getting wrapped now, then it's in for service on Friday and no clue when it will be back. I'm thinking the 60-130 and/or the 1/2 mile may be a bit faster than the 19.

Reactions: xPETEx
I have a video of making your M3 quicker coming very soon!

And I just happen to have a video of a model 3 vs a Charger Scat Pack on the highway. I would have thought the Charger to do much better given that the 3 runs out of power at higher speeds, but nope.
See for yourself -

Oh, and state of charge makes a big difference - (This is pre-acceleration boost)
Scat Pack doesn’t have a supercharger — basically not worth bothering with. You are looking for SRT on the trunk or two scoops (rather than one small scoop) in the hood (or one massive scoop for the Demon) to identify the Hellcat supercharged ones.

How much of a difference would these make in terms of quarter mile performance and trap speed? I'd imagine the 18" wheels would make the biggest difference but don't see too many topics on this.
lightweight wheels shave about 0.1 seconds off of 0-60 times, and that is probably about all you will get in the 1/4 mile too, as that becomes less relevant as acceleration rate slows down.

low rolling resistance tires might help actually, since drag strips are typically very sticky, they may be sticky enough.

I put out my quickest M3 AWD+ video today that goes through everything I did to run the best time, for M3 AWD+, on dragtimes.

Anyone should be able to replicate this:
In regards to the dummy on your channel saying "but it's down 20mph on top speed"...In my 19 stealth M3P at events on an airstrip the fastest trap I ever achieved was 143 mph. I have not done it in the 21 yet, it may be faster, but it's not going to be much faster, if any at all. And, for those that are worried about the difference in 145 mph and 163 mph, there's almost zero because the model 3 takes so long to get there that you're nervous AF. This isn't a plaid that's going to get up to 163 in 10 seconds, it takes 18 seconds, and that's a very long time to be going full throttle in a car...so the 18 mph spread is negligible coming from someone who has been there a few dozen times in these things.

In regards to the dummy on your channel saying "but it's down 20mph on top speed"...In my 19 stealth M3P at events on an airstrip the fastest trap I ever achieved was 143 mph. I have not done it in the 21 yet, it may be faster, but it's not going to be much faster, if any at all. And, for those that are worried about the difference in 145 mph and 163 mph, there's almost zero because the model 3 takes so long to get there that you're nervous AF. This isn't a plaid that's going to get up to 163 in 10 seconds, it takes 18 seconds, and that's a very long time to be going full throttle in a car...so the 18 mph spread is negligible coming from someone who has been there a few dozen times in these things.
Yup, it really falls off a cliff over ~110mph. I'll just be twiddling my thumbs down the back straight at VIR waiting for the brake marker, fastest I think I ever got was 142mph.

Reactions: mmyers300 and Sam1
Yup, it really falls off a cliff over ~110mph. I'll just be twiddling my thumbs down the back straight at VIR waiting for the brake marker, fastest I think I ever got was 142mph.
Right! As Sam1 also said, it's nerve racking at high speeds bc it's taking sooo long. In the middle of Iowa, or somewhere out there, I decided to let 'er rip on a super long empty stretch of highway. I think I hit 135 and it wasn't as fun as I thought - it was taking too long and wasn't as stable as it needed to be. It was one of the reasons I upgraded to MPP coilovers. But it would probably take 5 miles to get to 150mph... Not being able to go over 140 is not something I give much thought to.

Reactions: Sam1
Right! As Sam1 also said, it's nerve racking at high speeds bc it's taking sooo long. In the middle of Iowa, or somewhere out there, I decided to let 'er rip on a super long empty stretch of highway. I think I hit 135 and it wasn't as fun as I thought - it was taking too long and wasn't as stable as it needed to be. It was one of the reasons I upgraded to MPP coilovers. But it would probably take 5 miles to get to 150mph... Not being able to go over 140 is not something I give much thought to.

Yeah, I just really wish Tesla would start cranking up the power. These 21's launch off the line slower than the older ones and I wish they would fix that, and uncork another 50hp which they would absolutely tolerate. EVs used to be the king on 0-60's, but now quite a few cars are doing that, even with the new RS3 having much less HP than the M3P and doing a 3.1 0-60. Tesla hasn't fell behind the curve yet, but they've let everyone catch up with them in the past 2 years.

Reactions: mmyers300
Yeah, I just really wish Tesla would start cranking up the power. These 21's launch off the line slower than the older ones and I wish they would fix that, and uncork another 50hp which they would absolutely tolerate. EVs used to be the king on 0-60's, but now quite a few cars are doing that, even with the new RS3 having much less HP than the M3P and doing a 3.1 0-60. Tesla hasn't fell behind the curve yet, but they've let everyone catch up with them in the past 2 years.
It should start to get even more interesting in the next couple years as we see more performance EVs hit the market. I am anxious to see what Dodge's eMusclecar lineup has in store and if it will inject some more fun into EVs for enthusiasts. It more than just 0-60 times, I am looking for more aggressive styling, exciting interiors with sporty seats that actually hold you in place, better tire/wheel options, magnetic ride suspension, drive modes, nanny control, etc. Otherwise my performance cars will continue to be ICE based and the Tesla is the daily driver.

It should start to get even more interesting in the next couple years as we see more performance EVs hit the market. I am anxious to see what Dodge's eMusclecar lineup has in store and if it will inject some more fun into EVs for enthusiasts. It more than just 0-60 times, I am looking for more aggressive styling, exciting interiors with sporty seats that actually hold you in place, better tire/wheel options, magnetic ride suspension, drive modes, nanny control, etc. Otherwise my performance cars will continue to be ICE based and the Tesla is the daily driver.
GM already has an 8-second electric Camaro. Ford has the Mach-E 1400 that can be toned down by reducing the number of motors installed. Obviously those are purpose built, but it shows they can already do it.

Reactions: raptor5244