Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats NEW for 2014?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope that Tesla in 2014 will announce the Model S AWD and the Model S Wagon (and the Model X of course). I also hope that in 2014 Tesla will announce the implementation, at least as option, of the ACC, the Pedestrian and Obstacle Detection System, and the Blind Spot Detection System (Driving Assistant Package).

Mercedes B class with Tesla tech inside will be out, though apparently delayed until summer, national roll out now looking at early 2015,

Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive Quietly Pushed Back To Summer 2014, Wont Be Nationwide Until 2015

On another front, There's a great 20 minute interview with Diarmuid O'Connell posted in another thread. (link below)

Diarmuid O'Connell VP buss. Dev. Tesla on everything from Roadster to G3

Watching it, I think a year from now, it will be clearer to all of us that Tesla in many ways is becoming a battery and car company (skip to 15 minutes into the video for relevant comments).

Diarmuid said Tesla basically designed the cells in the Model S and Panasonic did the manufacturing, so the next logical step is to go do the manufacturing.

I know Tesla enthusiasts are well aware that Elon has discussed a giga factory. I think concrete outlines of the financing of the factory and potential revealing of partners, may rival the Model X as the story of 2014.

A partner is certainly not official, but I think some far more concrete plans on how the Giga factory will happen is close to official. Diarmuid said, "we're looking to get that business started in the new year."

Last edited:
Mercedes B class with Tesla tech inside will be out, though apparently delayed until summer, national roll out now looking at early 2015,

Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive Quietly Pushed Back To Summer 2014, Wont Be Nationwide Until 2015

On another front, There's a great 20 minute interview with Diarmuid O'Connell posted in another thread. (link below)

Diarmuid O'Connell VP buss. Dev. Tesla on everything from Roadster to G3

Watching it, I think a year from now, it will be clearer to all of us that Tesla in many ways is becoming a battery and car company (skip to 15 minutes into the video for relevant comments).

Diarmuid said Tesla basically designed the cells in the Model S and Panasonic did the manufacturing, so the next logical step is to go do the manufacturing.

I know Tesla enthusiasts are well aware that Elon has discussed a giga factory. I think concrete outlines of the financing of the factory and potential revealing of partners, may rival the Model X as the story of 2014.

A partner is certainly not official, but I think some far more concrete plans on how the Giga factory will happen is close to official. Diarmuid said, "we're looking to get that business started in the new year."

I think 2014 will be the year of the Model X. I expect we'll hear final details on features and pricing mid year, and hopefully before the end of year we'll start seeing some outstanding reviews and safety ratings. I think it'll be pretty significant in solidifying Tesla as a very serious contender in the auto arena and not just a one-hit wonder with the MS. I'm also hoping we see some early Sig X owners take to the track and smoke a 911 :)

Also aside from the Giga factory, Elon also mentioned "something special for Roadster owners" in 2014, and toward the end of year we'll see a LOT of speculation about the Gen 3 reveal in early 2015.

I agree. He pretty much confirmed that Tesla will be building its own battery factory. Elon has mentioned needing to build a giga-factory, but always left it ambiguous as to who would build it. It sounds to me like Tesla has recently made an internal decision to build it themselves and not rely on Panasonic, Samsung, etc. to build it. Strategically it makes sense to me. Obviously there is a lot of information about intellectual property rights to battery chemistry and design that we don't have. I also thought it interesting that he said they weren't wedded to the 18650 form factor. So, sometime in the next year or so, look for a Tesla announcement that they will be building their own battery mega-factory in the US. It will use updated battery chemistry and have a new form factor...

I agree. He pretty much confirmed that Tesla will be building its own battery factory. Elon has mentioned needing to build a giga-factory, but always left it ambiguous as to who would build it. It sounds to me like Tesla has recently made an internal decision to build it themselves and not rely on Panasonic, Samsung, etc. to build it. Strategically it makes sense to me. Obviously there is a lot of information about intellectual property rights to battery chemistry and design that we don't have. I also thought it interesting that he said they weren't wedded to the 18650 form factor. So, sometime in the next year or so, look for a Tesla announcement that they will be building their own battery mega-factory in the US. It will use updated battery chemistry and have a new form factor...

apologies if I'm veering too far off-topic, but,

the comments you mentioned about being agnostic about battery tech
+
the fact that he said they basically already designed the cells in the Model S (though to be fair, based on a Panasonic cell)
+
the fact that they likely will be spending billions to manufacture batteries
+
the fact they are a Silicon Valley tech company with the ability to attract tremendous talent
+
the fact that Tesla continues to exist and serve Elon's prime objective arguably depends more on their access to the best battery technology possible than any other factor
+
the fact that I know how to fantasize the likes of his buddies Sergey and Larry at Google wanting to participate

= what I find a real possibility... they don't only want to build the biggest battery factory in the world, they want to be the leading force in developing battery technology for the foreseeable future (fantasy part, doing so in JV with mega deep pocketed tech giant). That could really transform the opportunity Tesla has in the future, and we may get some really nice pointers toward this in 2014.

Last edited:
From everything I have read and a significant guess on my part I would say we will see a final design of the Model X in the 1st quarter and a handful Signature Model X will turned out by the end of 2014 and not much additional news.

There will probably be one or two more fires (simple statistics) and that will consume most of the media's interest in Tesla...

If Tesla survives the attacks from Big Oil, Dealer's Association, Fox News, the media's tesla fire obsession, The Wall street analysts (short sellers), I think 2015 is likely to be far more interesting as there should be a GEN III prototype, more Battery Plant news, and the Model X will enter full production in the summer of 2015...

I think 2014 will be a quite year, but it will be the make or break year for tesla...

I would not be surprised if they announce that the Mercedes b-Class electric will be able to use the (european) Supercharger network. They seem to put a lot of focus on Germany which is a tough EV market (because of the autobahn speeds). It would however make sense to work with Mercedes and get more superchargers installed which the Model B could use. Perhaps Mercedes will pick up some of the cost.

I also think the battery factory will be a JV with Panasonic. They rely heavily on their product right now and making big factory statements and not using Panasonic could be hurtful in the short run.

All just my opinion of course.

I would not be surprised if they announce that the Mercedes b-Class electric will be able to use the (european) Supercharger network. They seem to put a lot of focus on Germany which is a tough EV market (because of the autobahn speeds). It would however make sense to work with Mercedes and get more superchargers installed which the Model B could use. Perhaps Mercedes will pick up some of the cost.

I also think the battery factory will be a JV with Panasonic. They rely heavily on their product right now and making big factory statements and not using Panasonic could be hurtful in the short run.

All just my opinion of course.

The Mercedes prediction sounds solid but I think ICE manufacturers still have to tread carefully so as not to upset big oil, and superchargers are their kryptonite.

If we are going out on a limb here I'm figuring the Tesla Megga Factory will actually be in China (Tesla's equivelant to Apple's Foxcon basically).

But keeping our feet on the ground I'd actually be happy with the Model X coming out, the Model S getting a 2014 version facelift, the Gen III prototype arriving, and the Supercharger network being deployed as planned. Sounds like more than enough frankly!

But keeping our feet on the ground I'd actually be happy with the Model X coming out, the Model S getting a 2014 version facelift, the Gen III prototype arriving, and the Supercharger network being deployed as planned. Sounds like more than enough frankly!

The Model S "facelift", meaning styling changes, is not going to happen this year. I suspect it is at least two years away. The other items you mention have precedence.

The original rationale for the 18650 was economy of scale. Now that they dominate the market, they can do what they like and still have scale. I recall reading elsewhere Elon stating that somewhere around 2x the 18650 diameter could be the sweet spot. He clearly still hates large format square cells, and he's probably right to do so. From AA to D-cell batteries, effectively.

They could keep the same general pack architecture but increase the size of the cylindrical cells to get better packing density. I'm sure the 18650 isn't perfectly optimal.