Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"What's new" link in navigation bar going away soon - here is how to keep it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is because you are using the "TMC" style/theme, instead of the "TMC 2022" style/theme. The older "TMC" style is there simply to keep folks happy who did not like the changes we made last year.

This is not a new change to be clear. It is still in the drop down menu for "Community":

And you can also access it with the menu button (3 vertical dot icon) in the top right of the navbar. But I see now that @Pluto has helpfully clarified this :)
But it used to be a button on the panel. But you did have to scroll to the top of the panel to get access to it. I like the three button thing though that @Pluto mentioned.

That is because you are using the "TMC" style/theme, instead of the "TMC 2022" style/theme. The older "TMC" style is there simply to keep folks happy who did not like the changes we made last year.
I checked my mobile devices and they both show my theme is set to TMC Pro 2022 but I see What's New. There was a time several months ago when the What's New button on mobile changed (to Feeds? or something) but then it changed back to What's New.

I checked my mobile devices and they both show my theme is set to TMC Pro 2022 but I see What's New. There was a time several months ago when the What's New button on mobile changed (to Feeds? or something) but then it changed back to What's New.
@danny I tried different themes and found the regular TMC 2022 theme was updated to have the new buttons but the TMC Pro 2022 themes weren't.

@EVRider-FL My guess is that all your watched threads got watched when you participated in them, so that's why you are seeing those such threads. The "New" feed uses an "AND" function when multiple filters are selected. In fact What's New/New Posts also uses an "AND" function for the most part, as you will notice that the filters of both "New" and New Posts both say "Show only" which indicates "AND" function.

View attachment 816871

However, New Posts by default had the filter "Watched Content" and didn't distinguish between "Watched Forums" and "Watched Threads". Our developer actually had to develop a modification to separate the two. However, in doing so, we seems to have used an "OR" function between those two specific filters. This was actually a mistake on our part because as you can see, it still says "Show only" next to the selected filters in the horizontal bar above the results, which suggests it was supposed to be an "AND" function. So for New Posts, you currently are getting results for the following logic "Show me all threads that have unread posts; AND are in a forum that I watch OR that are watched (threads)". Whereas the "New" feed is giving you "Show me all threads that have unread posts AND are in a forum that I watch AND that are watched (threads)".

The point of this being that "New" is actually working as designed. I can see that some users may or may not prefer AND vs OR for given filter configurations. It certainly would be possible to develop a feature that allows users to switch the function, but there are pros and cons to weigh in doing so.
Having some control over whether filters are AND or OR would be extremely helpful. For example, I would highly prefer that my default filter be set to this:

Unread content AND (Watched threads OR Watched forums OR People you follow)

In fact, I was really confused at first when I had Unread content, Watched threads and Watched forums selected and I wasn't seeing everything - basically expecting it to work like the old What's new link.

So basically if Unread content is always treated as an AND and the other 4 options on the filter were selected as OR (like the "In forums" section) I think that would make sense. The UI would be slightly tweaked to look something like this:

2022-06-16_12-58.png

Having some control over whether filters are AND or OR would be extremely helpful. For example, I would highly prefer that my default filter be set to this:

Unread content AND (Watched threads OR Watched forums OR People you follow)

In fact, I was really confused at first when I had Unread content, Watched threads and Watched forums selected and I wasn't seeing everything - basically expecting it to work like the old What's new link.

So basically if Unread content is always treated as an AND and the other 4 options on the filter were selected as OR (like the "In forums" section) I think that would make sense. The UI would be slightly tweaked to look something like this:

View attachment 817431
Instead of making it complicated combining boolean logic, I think having a simple “Any of the following” and “All of the following” radio buttons should be used. Then leave out the “Unread content” from your filter and in the list of results look for anything with a red dot to the left. I made that transition years ago, and while it leaves you a full list to look at, it’s easy to mentally filter out content you don’t care about (the read content without the red dot) since it’s sorted by latest content.

I set up a feed on my computer that is working fine for me now; I’d like to use it in the new app, but can find no reference there to feeds, how to access or create them. Indeed on the web version the feed I have is working fine but the button I used to create it seems to be gone.

How do I get the same feed in both the web and app version?

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I set up a feed on my computer that is working fine for me now; I’d like to use it in the new app, but can find no reference there to feeds, how to access or create them. Indeed on the web version the feed I have is working fine but the button I used to create it seems to be gone.

How do I get the same feed in both the web and app version?
The app currently does not support all the features that the web version does, so if those are important to you, then we recommend that you continue to use the site in a web browser (or PWA if on Android).