Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats new with 2020.20.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why they made the optional $2500 Infotainment Upgrade available (VIN dependent of course). It's a lot to shell out, but for those who have the disposal income to do so find it of value. It's not for everyone, but we more features and enhancements coming for MCU2 only, it value proposition grows.

It's still $2500 and that is a lot of money to shell out, but overtime I'm sure we'll see it's value increase.
You could have picked up an iPad pro for less, and have fallout shelter and many many more games available today. And yes, you can connect it to the giant Tesla battery via the 12V or USB connector, so best of both worlds for less money.

But the issue is with the persistent USB audio and Spotify problems if both of those are playing up (which has certainly happened to me on many occasions) at least the FM radio still works, what happens with MCU2 cars? Do you just drive in silence?

I've done my Infotainment Upgrade on my Model S, and I've used Slack before and after without any issues. I don't listen to AM or FM, so it wasn't a loss for me.

Actually the fact that I now have the Sentry/Dashcam viewer plus all of the MCU2 games + entertainment options is great. When you travel long distance having entertainment options in the vehicle is important (for me at least).

I only assume we will begin to see more "only MCU2" features coming out as that is where the development effort will be applied to, if we look at the Sentry Mode/Dash Cam viewer as an example.

I know that many people have asked for the repeaters camera to show when you activate a signal. Elon said in a tweet that it would be difficult, but I assume that if he is able to do that, it will also be just an MCU2 feature...

All the horror stories I’ve read from those who had the upgrade done, I’ll hold off for a while
The only horror story is what we've already know so far. No AM/FM/XM radio. What else have you heard? I have not had any issues with mine for my Model S, and I'm planning on doing it for my Model X as soon as it becomes available for my VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
The only horror story is what we've already know so far. No AM/FM/XM radio. What else have you heard? I have not had any issues with mine for my Model S, and I'm planning on doing it for my Model X as soon as it becomes available for my VIN.

poor install and compatibility issues. Did you have MCU2 in your S or upgraded from MCU1?

poor install and compatibility issues. Did you have MCU2 in your S or upgraded from MCU1?

I had mine done back in March. Fully documented here = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

No problems. No poor install. No compatibility issues. Has worked perfectly and have received numerous updates since. I'm on the latest 2020.20.5 update right. No random shutdowns. No hangs. No problems with Dashcam and Sentry Mode recordings and viewings.

Reactions: Kuhz
The new features for me are a PIN to drive fonction that no longer indicates the numbers I press and a lot of glitches with the tesla main screen. Am I the only one?

2016 with autopilot 1.0
Just want to clarify, that the issue you're listing are with your current MCU1, correct? It may be signs that your eMMC is nearing end of life, so once the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade becomes available you might look into it.

Infotainment Upgrade

Note: Your AP1 will not change. There is no upgrade to AP2, AP2.5 or HW3. The $2500 will give you the new MCU2 along with IC2 and an updated LTE, Bluetooth and Wifi module which is all part of the Infotainment Upgrade.

What horror stories?
He must be referring to sloping installs where the technicians might accidentally damage the interior panels on the dashboard.

Installation issues are NOT representative of the Infotainment Upgrade. They are a result of a poor install by the technician which can be fixed if you let the Service Center know about them.

Many have not had any issues with their Infotainment Upgrade beyond the missing AM/FM/XM but we already knew of that earlier, and everyone should be taking that into consideration before giving Tesla the $2500 for this optional upgrade.

Just nice to know I future proofed the car for a few more years i hope.
My car is less than three years old, imagine convincing myself I need to spend $2500 (probably about $5K in my local money) to future proof my car. My MCU1 isn't failing because of something I did, it isn't running like crud because of something I did.

What I would like to see Tesla do is bring back the option to not have the navigation showing at all, surely this has to be consuming a lot of CPU power and a lot of RAM, even though it is in the background it is still there. If you have a computer that is underpowered the first thing you do is close any unnecessary programs to free up CPU cycles and RAM.

Remember nobody was complaining how the MCU1 ran on early software.

If you have a computer that is underpowered the first thing you do is close any unnecessary programs to free up CPU cycles and RAM.

Remember nobody was complaining how the MCU1 ran on early software.

The computer you're referring to has 2012 technology. No amount of code optimization or removing the maps will make it as responsive as v7 or even v8 or even earlier. It's still 2012 technology in it and it's EOL technology.

Nothing visible new for MCU1 owners, but I noticed a big change in autopilot safety features. It is super picky regarding lane departure and avoidance, and collision warnings. On country roads you get warned much more often than with previous version.

Just want to clarify, that the issue you're listing are with your current MCU1, correct? It may be signs that your eMMC is nearing end of life, so once the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade becomes available you might look into it.

Infotainment Upgrade

Note: Your AP1 will not change. There is no upgrade to AP2, AP2.5 or HW3. The $2500 will give you the new MCU2 along with IC2 and an updated LTE, Bluetooth and Wifi module which is all part of the Infotainment Upgrade.

Yes that is correct. Honestly the small bugs suddently dissapeared while coming back home tonight so it might simply be a bug but thanks for the information, its good info to know!

Nothing visible new for MCU1 owners, but I noticed a big change in autopilot safety features. It is super picky regarding lane departure and avoidance, and collision warnings. On country roads you get warned much more often than with previous version.

I noticed that as well. It loses the lane lines WAY more often than before 20.1. It also drifts side to side alot more. I am less comfortable with AP now more than ever before.

The computer you're referring to has 2012 technology. No amount of code optimization or removing the maps will make it as responsive as v7 or even v8 or even earlier. It's still 2012 technology in it and it's EOL technology.
Well I don't agree: as you mentioned, for the newer features, Tesla denies them on MCU1 due to its limitations. Instead -and I find this very impressive and neat that Tesla offers this upgrade- one can buy a new MCU2.

So for all features that are remaining on MCU1, and that have actually been part of the initial package (e.g. nav, streaming, web radio, browser...), MCU1 should run smooth.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Well I don't agree: as you mentioned, for the newer features, Tesla denies them on MCU1 due to its limitations. Instead -and I find this very impressive and neat that Tesla offers this upgrade- one can buy a new MCU2.

So for all features that are remaining on MCU1, and that have actually been part of the initial package (e.g. nav, streaming, web radio, browser...), MCU1 should run smooth.

You have a good point, but here is another analogy.

In 2019, you purchase a used computer from 2012. Back in 2012, it ran Windows 7 perfectly well with a great user experience. However that hardware has a problem running the latest Windows 10 with the same user experience. It's slow, sluggest, and many of the features just don't run correctly.

Windows 7 is EOL, no longer supportable, and lacks the most recent security updates since Jan 14, 2020. The same is true with TeslaOS. Older version went EOL and no longer supportable due to security requirements according. Like Windows 10 running on that same Windows 7 hardware, TeslaOS 10.2 runs sluggest on that same old 2012 Tesla hardware.

The good news is that you have a $2500 optional Infotainment Upgrade available, so you don't have to trade-in your car.

Just another way of looking at it I guess.

you purchase a used computer from 2012. Back in 2012,
The problem is in our instance this 'cutting edge' tech was still being sold new in 2017.
So to use your Windows 7 analogy it would be like buying a new PC in 2017 and then two years later being told it's too old and you need a new one. Yes if you got that PC in 2012 then fair enough, maybe Tesla shouldn't have stretched out the usable life of the MCU1 for so long.

The problem is in our instance this 'cutting edge' tech was still being sold new in 2017.
So to use your Windows 7 analogy it would be like buying a new PC in 2017 and then two years later being told it's too old and you need a new one. Yes if you got that PC in 2012 then fair enough, maybe Tesla shouldn't have stretched out the usable life of the MCU1 for so long.

Your absolutely correct. That's why I'm glad they offered us the $2500 USD Infotainment Upgrade. I've completed the upgrade one my Model S, and my Model X will hopefully get it close to the fall of 2020... For me, the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade is well worth it. For others, it may not as they have no interest in any of the MCU2 only features currently available (entertainment, games, Dashcam/Sentry Viewer, etc...), and not interested in any future (unannounced) features that will require MCU2.

The best part is that it's optional. Those who want to spend the $2500 can, others don't need/want to and it's NOT required for HW3 functionality (excluding the visuals). My Model X has HW3 on MCU1 (upgraded from AP2.0).