Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next after V10.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, of course not!! But Smart Summon is not a precursor to Automatic City Driving. It is not intended to do any of those things. It's Automatic City Driving that will do those things, not Smart Summon. Smart Summon and Automatic City Driving are two different features. Tesla has not released Automatic City Driving yet.

Smart Summon does not tell us anything at all about Tesla's ability to do city self-driving because it is a completely different feature. We have to wait for Tesla to release Automatic City Driving which is a separate feature from Smart Summon to see what Tesla can do in terms of city self-driving.
Very much agree. I see a lot of people using smart summon as a reason FSD is far off. These truly are independent tasks/features.

Reactions: diplomat33
I’m confused as to why people think smart summon is 100% disconnected from the planned city NoA feature. Honestly, if you can handle self driving in a parking lot, you should be like 90-95% of the way to city driving. Parking lots have it all:

- Narrow roads where cooperation with other cars is required.
- Pedestrians/pets/obstacles that can suddenly appear from behind/beside a parked car.
- Signs/markings that help control the flow of traffic.
- Cross traffic to be managed.
- Turns to be managed.
- Intersections for both vehicles and people to be managed.

I actually think city NoA would be easier since it can leverage mapping data to get a baseline view of the world.

• Love
Reactions: Drax and ramonneke
I’m confused as to why people think smart summon is 100% disconnected from the planned city NoA feature. Honestly, if you can handle self driving in a parking lot, you should be like 90-95% of the way to city driving. Parking lots have it all:

- Narrow roads where cooperation with other cars is required.
- Pedestrians/pets/obstacles that can suddenly appear from behind/beside a parked car.
- Signs/markings that help control the flow of traffic.
- Cross traffic to be managed.
- Turns to be managed.
- Intersections for both vehicles and people to be managed.

I actually think city NoA would be easier since it can leverage mapping data to get a baseline view of the world.

Bold part is the point. Smart summon is actually a far more complicated task than NoA for city driving.

Reactions: Drax
Musk predicts Smart Park in "hopefully 1-2 months" but says it might be "a little silly at first". Take it with a huge grain of salt of course.

71497110_10218455466491316_7091435436026888192_n.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
Musk predicts Smart Park in "hopefully 1-2 months" but says it might be "a little silly at first". Take it with a huge grain of salt of course.

Well, just as silly as Autopark currently is. Not sure how it is in the US but here in the Netherlands Autopark usually doesn't work or works incorrectly. I was hoping V10 would have improved Autopark but that is unfortunately not the case.

Smart Summon does not tell us anything at all about Tesla's ability to do city self-driving because it is a completely different feature.

In what ways is it a completely different feature? City driving requires to:

- avoid and drive around obstacles like bicyclists, scooters, garbage trucks, schoolbuses
- stop for pedestrians that are about to cross the street at a crossing
- positions itself correctly on roads without any markings
- ability to correctly take a corner without any markings
- do path planning by continuously scanning the environment to build a high-resolution map and translate and add the low res navigation data into this model
- recognize speedbumps
- avoid manholes
- apply correct rules for way of right
- read signs

I would pretty much say that these are the same things as Smart Summon is doing plus even more! I would even state that parking lots are very similar to most large cities in Europe which is chaotic and congested.

The path planning in a way is easier and harder as with Smart Summon the speed is maxed at 5m/h so stopping is easy. Smart Summon doesn't really need to take velocity into account were at city driving it must. So all of the above but then at 50, 70 and 80 km/h

In what ways is it a completely different feature? City driving requires to:

- avoid and drive around obstacles like bicyclists, scooters, garbage trucks, schoolbuses
- stop for pedestrians that are about to cross the street at a crossing
- positions itself correctly on roads without any markings
- ability to correctly take a corner without any markings
- do path planning by continuously scanning the environment to build a high-resolution map and translate and add the low res navigation data into this model
- recognize speedbumps
- avoid manholes
- apply correct rules for way of right
- read signs

I would pretty much say that these are the same things as Smart Summon is doing plus even more! I would even state that parking lots are very similar to most large cities in Europe which is chaotic and congested.

The path planning in a way is easier and harder as with Smart Summon the speed is maxed at 5m/h so stopping is easy. Smart Summon doesn't really need to take velocity into account were at city driving it must. So all of the above but then at 50, 70 and 80 km/h

There is certainly some overlap. You are correct. I guess the reason I say that they are separate is because I see "automatic city driving" as driving on actual roads, stopping at traffic lights, turning at intersections, none of which smart summon is intended to do. Smart Summon is just about moving in a short distance in a parking lot or driveway. I see their functions as different.

Eventually, I think Tesla will want to make Smart Summon more sophisticated and handle stop signs and such. But right now, Smart Summon is pretty basic. It is only really intended for moving your car a short distance in a parking lot or driveway. It is not intended for actually driving around a parking lot.

Eventually, I think Tesla will want to make Smart Summon more sophisticated and handle stop signs and such. But right now, Smart Summon is pretty basic. It is only really intended for moving your car a short distance in a parking lot or driveway. It is not intended for actually driving around a parking lot.

Emphasis mine.

Tesla disagrees with your assessment of the feature: “Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.”

Given the garbage that was delivered to customers, you are more right than they are. That doesn’t change their intent, however.

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and EVNow
I would like the ability to configure my main screen a little more.. I live in Phoenix and can't stand that those seat heater controls and defrost controls are there on the main screen all the time.. I have accidently started to heat my seat more than once, when I meant to lower the temp. why isn't there simply the temp, fan control, and the rest in the HVAC menu? drives me nuts.

It’s not exactly firmware-related, but two-factor authentication for Tesla accounts has been supposedly coming soon since a year ago and nothing so far. It’s pretty nuts they don’t have proper account security for something that is so powerful.