Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would speculated in a few years of enhancements to the current 2170 or 4680 cells that the range in the Model 3 to increase with in margin to stay competitive and dominate in the lineup and the growing list of new EV’s coming to market. I would speculate that the LR would achieve 400 miles of range with the SR+ achieving right around 300 for the current price.
Since Model S has gone Plaid I can see Tesla extending out the Ludicrous package to the Performance trim making it a high 2 second 0-60 time.

As for list of features I would like to see, it would be nice for a 360 view camera for parking. Perforated or ventilated seats ( the current ones get sticky and hot as hell). A long shot but would be super cool would be Electrochromic Glass like the McLaren 720S or the New Toyota Venza. Also ambient lighting would be nice.

Reactions: Pluglife
Really the only thing I'd like to see is more color options (really want green) and doors that shut easier/better (soft close?).
So far, I actually don't miss the HUD, blind spot monitoring and 360 cameras that my BMW had that much (tho the 360 camera view is the most noticed out of all of those).

Now to entice me to upgrade to a Performance 3 in a few years? It would probably have to have a unique body kit and/or exterior accents, lighter weight (I expect this to come with 4680 cells and structural battery), more top end power and better power at lower battery levels (I'd say mid 120s trap speed at 30% battery would do it), better cooling for the brakes and battery on the track (maybe some air vents that can be uncovered for a track day?), and an 18" or 19" wheel with high performance all season tire option (the current 20's with summer tires are basically worthless for my use cases; would still need another set of wheels and tires for track or auto-x use).

Yes, but apparently is not for radar detectors because its not switchable, its always on which can kill the 12v battery..

The 12 volt is switchable. I have my radar detector plugged in here and it turns off when the car eventually goes to sleep. Even if it stayed on all night, which it doesn’t, it wouldn’t kill the 12 volt battery since that gets topped off from the high voltage battery as needed.

I’d trade in tomorrow for a two door hatchback. Or, a two door hardtop convertible. The former would obviously sell much better than a convertible

There’s a better chance of me buying an i3 than there is one of those.

Which is to say, never, not in a zillion years.

… and that’s OK.

So is the fact that you’d love those.

That’s why these “what should Tesla do?” threads get silly sometimes. We all have different needs and wants. For me, personally, I’ll just sit back and watch. Going to run my Model 3 into the ground before I even start thinking about “next”.
First time that’s ever been the case since I bought my first new car decades ago.

Reactions: Petals408
The 12 volt is switchable. I have my radar detector plugged in here and it turns off when the car eventually goes to sleep. Even if it stayed on all night, which it doesn’t, it wouldn’t kill the 12 volt battery since that gets topped off from the high voltage battery as needed.
Thanks Big Earl, So why are guys digging into the electrical wires looking for different ways to wire a detector? And everyone please forgive me but I'm not electrical savvy

Thanks Big Earl, So why are guys digging into the electrical wires looking for different ways to wire a detector? And everyone please forgive me but I'm not electrical savvy

I think some people are trying to tap power from the rear view mirror to minimize wiring. I chose to run the wire through the trim around the A pillar and back to the center console... quick install, mostly out-of-sight and easily removable.

Having a Model 3 Long Range w/ Acceleration boost, it doesn't seem worthwhile to upgrade to the performance. Not enough of a performance benefit for the financial hit of switching.

I have decided that I will upgrade to a new Model 3 when there is enough of a performance increase to justify it (in my mind). With that being said, what is next? Ludicrous, Plaid? Will they stick with dual motor or go with Tri-motor? Is this 1 year away or 5.... or ever?

What would make you upgrade? I have had my car for, soon to be, 3 years. However, there really isn't anything better on the market that meets my needs (or "wants") than my current car. I don't think this has happened to me before, there has always been better options after 3 years of ownership.

The other thing tesla could do to help me upgrade is make FSD transferable.. but that is besides the point of this thread.
A tri motor plaid would be pretty sweet. Faster, better suspension, but please no yoke.

I would bet money that in the same way that developments on the 3 made their way to the new version of the S (hidden vents, landscape screen, etc) the stalkless round wheel with the touch sensitive buttons and shifting on the screen will make its way to the next refresh iteration of the 3 & Y as a cost cutting measure. Not terribly excited by it, but it seems likely to me.

Reactions: moa999
What are these performance issues in near freezing temps? I have a 2021 M3P as well. Haven't heard of or encountered any issues so far on my car but I've only driven it 2000 miles in 6 months.

Under 80% soc below 39f(4c) the car really starts to nerf the power. Takes all the fun out of the car. When temps start dropping, I start charging to 100% just so I can use the power for my drive to work. At 50% I don't even want to drive it in cold temps. If I wanted a slow sr+ I would have bought one. The only time I feel like the car is worth any value is 90% and higher charge.

Attachments

• IMG_20210506_022015.jpg
    IMG_20210506_022015.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 110
Since this is a highly speculative thread, I suspect in the next 2 years:

1) Android Auto / Apple Carplay added due to market pressure.
2) Infrared based auto wipers due to numerous complaints.
3) Suspension changes to enhance overall refinement.
4) Recaro-like seats and door cards for Performance trims.
5) Amber rear turn signals / restyled headlights
6) Minor battery/efficiency gains.

All of which to keep Model 3 relevant and other EV's come into the marketplace.

Since this is a highly speculative thread, I suspect in the next 2 years:

1) Android Auto / Apple Carplay added due to market pressure.
2) Infrared based auto wipers due to numerous complaints.
3) Suspension changes to enhance overall refinement.
4) Recaro-like seats and door cards for Performance trims.
5) Amber rear turn signals / restyled headlights
6) Minor battery/efficiency gains.

All of which to keep Model 3 relevant and other EV's come into the marketplace.

As you said, totally speculative but here's my take on those:
1) Strongly doubt it.
2) Strongly doubt it. They'll double down on the NN. Hard to argue "pure vision" for FSD and then add IR sensors for rain. Bad look.
3) Maybe.
4) Doubt it. They built their own seat factory to simplify and consolidate. Don't see "more" seats in their future.
5) Strongly doubt it. Just restyled headlights. Don't expect different tails either - Cost savings by using a single set of LEDs/lenses for brake & turn.
6) Likely.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
As you said, totally speculative but here's my take on those:
1) Strongly doubt it.
2) Strongly doubt it. They'll double down on the NN. Hard to argue "pure vision" for FSD and then add IR sensors for rain. Bad look.
3) Maybe.
4) Doubt it. They built their own seat factory to simplify and consolidate. Don't see "more" seats in their future.
5) Strongly doubt it. Just restyled headlights. Don't expect different tails either - Cost savings by using a single set of LEDs/lenses for brake & turn.
6) Likely.
1) I remain hopeful.
2) I remain hopeful. Hard to argue with decades of proven technology, regardless of look for Tesla Vision.
3) I haven't seen a single manufacturer not do this to improve refinement over time.
4) Since it's applicable to the Y as well, I suspect it's already cost-effective to do so as part of a price increase. The reality is that they don't differentiate the higher trim models enough for the exterior or interior.
5) Restyled bumpers/headlights are one of the cheapest ways to "freshen" an older design. Note the Y now has ambers in the rear.
6) Guaranteed once cost effective to do so.

1) I remain hopeful.
2) I remain hopeful. Hard to argue with decades of proven technology, regardless of look for Tesla Vision.
3) I haven't seen a single manufacturer not do this to improve refinement over time.
4) Since it's applicable to the Y as well, I suspect it's already cost-effective to do so as part of a price increase. The reality is that they don't differentiate the higher trim models enough for the exterior or interior.
5) Restyled bumpers/headlights are one of the cheapest ways to "freshen" an older design. Note the Y now has ambers in the rear.
6) Guaranteed once cost effective to do so.
I’ll happily bet a cup of coffee we won’t see CarPlay or AA. No problem. Same for the wipers - that’s not going to happen. They’re actively trying to remove sensors, not add them. I’d rate this even less likely than CarPlay. You expect them to say “our super advanced vision processing system can’t see raindrops?” No way. Doesn’t matter whether it’s reality or not, they’d never admit it.
As for seats … if you don’t see different seats in a Plaid, you won’t be seeing them in the 3P. “Special” seats would add complexity and risk to the assembly process. Again, I’ll place a coffee on this one not happening either. And given the popularity of the Performance trim, I’d disagree that there’s not enough differentiation. I’m also tired of people turning Model 3 into a Civic with all their hideous add-ons, so I’ll admit some bias there, too.

For amber lights, I’ll admit maybe there’s an efficiency to be gained using a light certified for ROW (rest-of-world.) So I’ll move my rating to “possible” …

Really the only thing I'd like to see is more color options (really want green) and doors that shut easier/better (soft close?).
So far, I actually don't miss the HUD, blind spot monitoring and 360 cameras that my BMW had that much (tho the 360 camera view is the most noticed out of all of those).

Now to entice me to upgrade to a Performance 3 in a few years? It would probably have to have a unique body kit and/or exterior accents, lighter weight (I expect this to come with 4680 cells and structural battery), more top end power and better power at lower battery levels (I'd say mid 120s trap speed at 30% battery would do it), better cooling for the brakes and battery on the track (maybe some air vents that can be uncovered for a track day?), and an 18" or 19" wheel with high performance all season tire option (the current 20's with summer tires are basically worthless for my use cases; would still need another set of wheels and tires for track or auto-x use).
Yeah I can see Tesla making a Model 3 Performance to your specs...then I wake up...😆

Reactions: OUengineer