Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm as a 2020 M3 owner, the main thing for me would be the darker glass on the roof. Living in Texas I have to keep sun shades bought off of Amazon up for 1/2 of the year. They make a huge difference in cabin temp. I also would love to see cooled seats, not just heated. More applicable in hot climates.
friend of mine just had his glass up top tinted and it helped a lot.

More performance in the 3P. Ludicrous mode with ~500 kW output?
19" (Gemini?) wheel option on the 3P. Something more efficient than the heavy 20" Uberturbines.
Amber rear turn signals. Why the USA still permits red rear indicators is beyond me.
Ventilated seats in Premium Interior models.
HUD option.
More color options.
4680s with total 100 kWh capacity (400+ mile range on LR, ~390 for 3P?)

Performance Plus option, with HUD, Recaro Sportster CS front seats, better shocks, harder pads and a set of wider tires and 10" rear wheels. Could use some nice looking aero as well - front lip and rear spoiler.

Tesla could easily source these from Recaro, Bilstein and such and make it a Service Center install. Would but it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
A lot of good ideas here.

Speaking of hardware only upgrades/changes. Is there anything that would make you consider trading in your old Model 3 for a new one, or make you regret you didn't wait to take delivery?

My list is:

Range: 400+ mile EPA range 2170, or 4680 doesn't matter how they get there.

Charging: 10% - 70% & 70-90% in ten minutes. So 20min gets you from 10% to 90% or 320 miles

An HDMI input for the center screen would be nice, along with a integrated power inverter. for PS5 or other consoles

Ventilated or A/C seats with massage.

Adaptive air suspension.

Sirius XM module. Option that installs like home link. Also, mini mobile Starlink option

Lithium 12v battery. Edit: Zoomit beat me by 2 minutes! lol

powered frunk.

Active noise cancellation (just need the mics in the seats and the rest is software, right?)

Better paint with more color choices.
As a make-shift option for XM radio, can't you get XM app on your phone and then stream that to your car using blue tooth? I realize this isn't ideal but it might work until Tesla provides the option.

As a make-shift option for XM radio, can't you get XM app on your phone and then stream that to your car using blue tooth? I realize this isn't ideal but it might work until Tesla provides the option.
Yes, that is the exact solution most people use for sat radio. The only problem is the lack of good cell coverage in some areas. There are stretches of 20-50 miles between I20 and I10 south of Midland that have little of no coverage, so your stuck with pre-downloaded audio from your phone.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
Performance Plus option, with HUD, Recaro Sportster CS front seats, better shocks, harder pads and a set of wider tires and 10" rear wheels. Could use some nice looking aero as well - front lip and rear spoiler.

Tesla could easily source these from Recaro, Bilstein and such and make it a Service Center install. Would but it in a heartbeat.
If you are looking for those aero additions to increase downforce for high speed track runs then good. Cruising on the freeway at 70MPH they will only reduce your range and give little benefit to handling or stability.

They need to focus on the hardware improvements to the camera resolution, camera placement, and compute power to be able to handle unprotected left turns across fast moving perpendicular traffic with partially obstructed views. Robotaxis will never happen until they upgrade those hardware items to handle that common scenario.

Reactions: Sam1
Is it October or November builds where they typically change over to the new model year?

It's only happened twice... (prior to that Tesla didn't switch model years until Jan 1 of the new year)- IIRC it happened once in Oct, once in Nov- so unknown which they'll do this year.

That said-- I don't think any new orders have an expected delivery that isn't Nov or later, so anybody ordering today should be getting a 2022 assuming they're not switching back to the old "jan 1" dates :)

If you are looking for those aero additions to increase downforce for high speed track runs then good. Cruising on the freeway at 70MPH they will only reduce your range and give little benefit to handling or stability.

Well, I have some glossy carbon parts on it now - mirrior caps, front lip and a Vorsteiner tail spoiler. More agressive aero from Tesla would probably have that OEM+ look and be so much nicer. I have no problem admitting it's just for the looks, the clean Model 3 need a little flair.

A powered frunk just seems like such a bad idea. Sure it'd be more convenient, but there's a reason every vehicle to this point has had a hood safety latch. God forbid the thing pops open while you're driving you're screwed. For something that could potentially block my view while driving if it malfunctioned I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and keep it a two-step process.

A powered frunk just seems like such a bad idea. Sure it'd be more convenient, but there's a reason every vehicle to this point has had a hood safety latch. God forbid the thing pops open while you're driving you're screwed. For something that could potentially block my view while driving if it malfunctioned I'd prefer to err on the side of caution and keep it a two-step process.

Powered frunks are still double latched and they can't flip open.

I'm honestly pretty happy with the 2021 models now (though I wish they would enable the heated steering wheel for SR+...). Some great ideas in here though.

My wishlist:
- HUD
- 360 camera view when parking
- Better blindspot monitoring, would be really cool if they could add/move the cameras closer to where the mirrors are
- auto frunk
- better interior lights, can't believe how dim they are
- better sentry/dashcam functionality (we're almost there, but its still not 100%)