Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's next for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
God forbid that they copy the user interface on the new Model S and eliminate stalks. It's bad enough that you have to use the touch screen to change the wiper speed, or go through the two step process of pressing the voice button and giving a voice command. Imagine having to so the same thing when trying to park because there is no gear shift stalk. They also switched to buttons for the directional indicators, that's less reliable than a stalk that you move up or down.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Having a Model 3 Long Range w/ Acceleration boost, it doesn't seem worthwhile to upgrade to the performance. Not enough of a performance benefit for the financial hit of switching.

I have decided that I will upgrade to a new Model 3 when there is enough of a performance increase to justify it (in my mind). With that being said, what is next? Ludicrous, Plaid? Will they stick with dual motor or go with Tri-motor? Is this 1 year away or 5.... or ever?

What would make you upgrade? I have had my car for, soon to be, 3 years. However, there really isn't anything better on the market that meets my needs (or "wants") than my current car. I don't think this has happened to me before, there has always been better options after 3 years of ownership.

The other thing tesla could do to help me upgrade is make FSD transferable.. but that is besides the point of this thread.

A Head up Display would be a natural for this car, matching some competitor options and eliminating one of the transition fears of some potential customers. Tesla seemingly acknowledged the value by retaining the driver display in the S/X refresh despite radically changing everything else. And of course a HUD could provide better consistency between the S and 3 UI's.

A kick-open trunk is certain to appear now that all Teslas have powered trunks and most competitors have kick-open. And a kick-to-pop frunk would open a whole new world of storage options.

Musk already announced that dazzling colors will soon be coming out of Berlin and I'd certainly expect Texas to follow with some jazzy Model Y's but unfortunately the 3 will be stuck in Fremont's miserable sandstorm of a paint booth for the foreseeable future.

Longer term, they'll omit the side mirrors but of course the real game changer will be the 4680 battery which will vastly improve performance while significantly reducing cost.

i just hope they update the UI to something usable. I still havent updated to the "fire" holiday update after seeing the updated ui

i think people dont realize how much of a trash gui we got with the holiday update. looking at the old gui pre-fire makes one realize that!
I cant wait for them to update the gui to something which doesnt look like it was done by a 13 year old in 20min.

People complain about the Model 3 screen size not supporting dual screens i.e. map and audio? completely wrong.
look at the old gui where the AP view doesnt even take that much space. there is more than enough space to have the map on top and music on bottom. Or map in the middle and music on the right! (or energy graph etc).
Even on the bottombar theres plenty of space. seat heaters and volume knob etc should all be removable.
49e980bbcbe5d517ac33157e99b82498.png

Last edited:
What would make you upgrade?

Magnetic (not air) adjustible suspension possibly would.

The lack of it on the P is why I've got an LR AWD+ instead.

I have had my car for, soon to be, 3 years. However, there really isn't anything better on the market that meets my needs (or "wants") than my current car. I don't think this has happened to me before, there has always been better options after 3 years of ownership.

My previous car was a 2008 Lexus IS350. Even in 2016, 8 years later, there still wasn't anything on the market that was better (without costing massively more). Hell the 2016 version of the same model was arguably WORSE (same engine, but they'd added a bunch of weight for no benefit). It wasn't until the Model 3 that anything better, especially for the $, was on the market.

Reactions: OUengineer
Really hoping they upgrade the computer to the same one they are using in the new model S. Also didn't know the 3 didn't have a 12 volt cigarette adapter that I use for my radar detector in my Model S every day. Will probably get a 3 performance next so would like to see those things added.

Reactions: Pluglife
Really hoping they upgrade the computer to the same one they are using in the new model S. Also didn't know the 3 didn't have a 12 volt cigarette adapter that I use for my radar detector in my Model S every day. Will probably get a 3 performance next so would like to see those things added.

It does have a 12v adapter- it's in the center console.

It's poorly located (at least on my 2018 it is, should instead have been up at the front wall for a drop down cable, same place the USB-A ports are on my car) but it's there.

Reactions: THXULTRA
It's worth noting that automakers like Hyundai eliminated the lighter socket from all cars nearly a decade ago.

So for Tesla to include one at all is even more surprising than the fact that people apparently still have old radar detectors with those power plugs from the 1950's.

View attachment 674160

Lots of folks also have portable air compressors that run on those sockets too

Which is mainly the only time I use mine due to its poor location.

I did indeed get a USB->12v cord like you show to run my radar detector on, though I've found AP gives me far less cause to use/need it compared to my previous car.

Reactions: THXULTRA
I just want an update to fix the performance issues of the 21 3p in near freezing temps. This car is such a let down in cold temps. I'd also like to see a redesigned headlight. The current ones look outdated. Great light output, just ugly.

I’d trade in tomorrow for a two door hatchback. Or, a two door hardtop convertible. The former would obviously sell much better than a convertible
I put a reservation on an Aptera, it's a two seater and it looks like George Jetson's car. I reserved the 600 mile version, 600 miles is a game changer because if it can comfortably deliver 450 miles it won't ever need to be fast charged (I keep close track of my mileage on our weekly day trips and 450 miles is the longest, I was able to do that in my Volt with no fuel stop, BTW the number of our stops won't change just the locations, with the Volt we did our pee stops at Duncan Donuts and there are more of those then there are gas stations). They've teased a Tesla connector and the display they've shown is straight out of a Model 3 so either they have a deal in the works with Tesla or they just cannibalized one for their early prototypes. I figure there is a 30% chance that they'll actually deliver this car and less that it will be at the price they quoted (TOC on the reservation says the price will change). I also won't pull the trigger until the real reviews are in, I also won't be first in line because I ordered the 600 mile variant, they are starting with the 400 mile version.

Reactions: Spacep0d
Multi device bluetooth support
Better wiper control/auto wipers
Slightly better auto highbeam
Better blind spot monitoring
Customizable UI
Tesla App store
Faster UI response in Youtube and Netflix
Improve charging curve. Not increase charging speed, 250KW is plenty fast, we just need the curve to flatten out more.

I put a reservation on an Aptera, it's a two seater and it looks like George Jetson's car. I reserved the 600 mile version, 600 miles is a game changer because if it can comfortably deliver 450 miles it won't ever need to be fast charged (I keep close track of my mileage on our weekly day trips and 450 miles is the longest, I was able to do that in my Volt with no fuel stop, BTW the number of our stops won't change just the locations, with the Volt we did our pee stops at Duncan Donuts and there are more of those then there are gas stations). They've teased a Tesla connector and the display they've shown is straight out of a Model 3 so either they have a deal in the works with Tesla or they just cannibalized one for their early prototypes.

Given Elon having said several times he doesn't believe 3 wheeled vehicles are safe I strongly suspect it's the second one... IIRC Sandy Munro is working with them and we know he's got some Tesla parts laying around :)

I figure there is a 30% chance that they'll actually deliver this car and less that it will be at the price they quoted (TOC on the reservation says the price will change). I also won't pull the trigger until the real reviews are in, I also won't be first in line because I ordered the 600 mile variant, they are starting with the 400 mile version.

FWIW kudos to your dubiousness, and I agree with it- production is hard (as folks like Lordstown and Lucid are learning right now)

Given Elon having said several times he doesn't believe 3 wheeled vehicles are safe I strongly suspect it's the second one... IIRC Sandy Munro is working with them and we know he's got some Tesla parts laying around :)

FWIW kudos to your dubiousness, and I agree with it- production is hard (as folks like Lordstown and Lucid are learning right now)
Lucid and Aptera are engineer run companies and I have faith that they are both focused and know what they are doing. They've both been transparent about their technology, Aptera especially so, they are doing weekly blow by blows about where they are and who they are working with. Lordstown is a scam, they've built the whole company around handouts starting with the plant. When they had Mike Pence at their factory last year they didn't even mention their truck, it was nothing more than a campaign stop. A further indication that Lordstown has no idea what they are doing is their attempt to do the Baja 1000 when they hadn't even driven their truck to Cleveland, they made it 40 miles.

Lucid has built a very impressive car and their drive units are industry leading. However I don't get the appeal of luxury and I sure don't get the appeal of spending $170K on a car, it's a depreciating asset you don't speed that kind of money on a depreciating asset. I also don't like big cars.
Aptera is a two seater which is all I need it's incredibly efficient, 10 miles/KWh and finally it's just plain cool. They are laser focused on efficiency, their drag product is tiny and the car is light because it's built from composites. I'm particularly interested in seeing how they handle the stability problem, Sandy Munro says they are going to use torque vectoring to do active stability management, they have hub motors on each wheel so that sound feasible. There is an example of inherently unstable things becoming manageable with computer control, flying wings. The YB49 was a death trap, it couldn't be flown by even the best test pilots in the world, it killed Glenn Edwards. Forty years later they built the B2 and it's been very reliable, the difference is active stability management. I like engineering problems, it's why I bought FSD, I don't believe that they will achieve Level 4 anytime soon but I'm interested in watching their progress.

I just want an update to fix the performance issues of the 21 3p in near freezing temps. This car is such a let down in cold temps. I'd also like to see a redesigned headlight. The current ones look outdated. Great light output, just ugly.
What are these performance issues in near freezing temps? I have a 2021 M3P as well. Haven't heard of or encountered any issues so far on my car but I've only driven it 2000 miles in 6 months.