Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's not to like about the model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3G versus 4G connectivity (can't complain TOO much, having internet at all is awesome)

I don't think the bottleneck is the 3G connection. Try connecting the Model S to your home WiFi, or tether it to a 4G phone, and you'll see that the browser is painfully slow, like a first generation iPhone. I think they need to focus on improving the browser speed. And I agree that this is a shortcoming.

I guess we're spoiled, most live (pro) broadcasts are now handled on FM.
I don't do college sports.

Not in SoCal... All the local pro teams broadcast in AM. Would've gotten the XM package, but they jacked up the price from $850 to $2500 or something like that when I decided to finalize my reservation.

Yes. Sports talk is good. Live games Lakers, Dodgers, etc gets switched off Internet streaming. At least it was a bad Lakers year. The Dodgers on the other had look good and would love to hear Vin Scully in the car.

.../ 1. Lack of storage for small items in cabin; hence need a bin/bag. /...
Tesla is working on this one. Namely:

Shop Tesla Gear Premium Center Console

It seems it has been delayed though for some reason. But depending on if you’re on the waiting list or not, it should be available for delivery sometime during Q3.

If you’re not on the waiting list, you can just get on it now if you want to.

I just found out today that the Model S won't charge my iPad2, at least in the driver slot. (I didn't think, at the time, to try the other port). Anyone else? Because although it charges fine at home, there was that drop several months ago from counter height onto a tile floor.... when I connect to MS the iPad shows that it's plugged in and then displays "Not Charging".

This happens on low amperage USB ports and even happens for me when connected to my old MacPro. But even though it says "not charging" it will still charge (assuming the cable isn't a knock off). Run the iPad down, plug it into the tesla and give it time (takes longer but it charges). I think you'll see it gains charge.

I say picky, picky, picky. Every drive confirms to me that what's not there is way overshadowed by what is.

Bingo. Every drive, every service visit (if needed at all), every time I walk up to a fully-fueled car and so on blow all the nitpicks out of the water.

Can the seats be better? Yes. Can radio reception be better (and not sound like something coming out of a canyon)? Yes. Can the headliner not start fraying at the edges and peek out from under the piping? Yes. I have a whole laundry list of these but, service always makes a great effort to remedy whatever they can and it's great to see new cars coming off the assembly line being constantly improved on many of these fronts.

Bingo. Every drive, every service visit (if needed at all), every time I walk up to a fully-fueled car and so on blow all the nitpicks out of the water.

Can the seats be better? Yes. Can radio reception be better (and not sound like something coming out of a canyon)? Yes. Can the headliner not start fraying at the edges and peek out from under the piping? Yes. I have a whole laundry list of these but, service always makes a great effort to remedy whatever they can and it's great to see new cars coming off the assembly line being constantly improved on many of these fronts.

Glad you like the car, but service can't improve the rear visibility, nor can it add options like adaptive cruise control that aren't available from the manufacturer.

My other car is an (ICE) Audi A7. There are a couple features that I like that are lacking on the Tesla:

1 - Audio during Navigation. It would be good if you could set the relative levels of both the Radio and the Nav voice so that the Nav voice is properly heard IN RELATION to the Audio source. The limited controls in the Tesla are crude compared to offerings from other manufacturers.

2 - Ability to send destinations to the Nav from google maps.

Short list :)

Glad you like the car, but service can't improve the rear visibility, nor can it add options like adaptive cruise control that aren't available from the manufacturer.

FWIW, with the camera, the rear visibility is better than most cars. Also the only time I've turned on cruise control was by mistake :)

1) cruise control stalk is confusing to use and not intuitive
2) moisture under tail lights
3) I've had front passenger door handle replaced twice and it still tries to recess in when you pull the handle to open the door..
4) FM w/ HD enabled is awful.. Disabling it helps
5) lack of storage in doors behind seats and center console
6) lack of cupholders and the two you do have are in a suboptimal spot
7) not crazy about the frameless design of the door frame which requires the windows to operate to open/close them leading to problems if it's very cold and just extra wear/tear on the window motors.
8) B pillar juts out and pokes you getting in or out of the car and leads to excessive wear
9) seats aren't the best esp side bolstering
10) interior materials aren't as nice as cars in the same class
11) accelerator and brake are too close together
12) interior lighting is poor especially in the frunk and trunk with the carpet and interior being black
13) Steering wheel motor is slower than Xmas and takes for ever to get out of your way when using an EXIT profile
14) lack of option to have steering wheel collapse all the way forward when putting the car in park like most modern cars in this class (easy software change)
15) Needs a physical unlock button next to the window switches for picking people up or allowing people in the vehicle after you have sat parked and the car locks itself. Fishing thru the menus to get to lock/unlock is suboptimal
16) Rubber seals let moisture in on all the windows in heavy rains or strong spray.. Especially near the triangle windows by the A pillar.
17) general lack of sound deadening materials.. I suspect with some good dynomat treatment this car could be a LOT more quiet
18) no "oh $#it" handles up front
19) general UI improvements that I'm sure will come later but they could have bigger buttons just about everywhere especially for operating central screen while driving (there's lots of unused real estate on most screens that could be used to make buttons easier to hit without such a stretch or taking your eyes off the road as long)
20) rubber gaskets and covers on the pano already starting to show signs of drying out and becoming brittle and I garage my car at home.. Park outside at work though
21) windshield wipers are a little strange
22) lack of spare tire (perhaps not a big deal)
23) paint is VERY soft and easy to scratch. I took delivery of mine in the dark (because they were late getting it to me) and didn't notice it until a couple days later but I have tiny swirls everywhere on my black paint
24) realizing I'm probably alone on this one, but would like the option to completely disable WiFi and cellular connection independently for privacy if I wanted it
25) floor mats are kinda cheap and slide around everywhere due to no hook/anchor

Most of these are pretty insignificantly small things in my opinion. A few could be corrected with software improvements.. Others are easy/small design changes.. Overall I still love the car though :)

Last edited:
Quote: "Needs a physical unlock button next to the window switches for picking people up or allowing people in the vehicle after you have sat parked and the car locks itself. Fishing thru the menus to get to lock/unlock is suboptimal".

My suggestion is when you come to a stop to pick up passengers, put the car in Park and the door handles will extend.

So there is your "physical unlock button without having to complicate the interior of the car with more physical buttons.

I love the simplicity of the interior. None of the other items you listed have bothered me except the factory floor mats are cheap, so I replaced them with some aftermarket CocoMats.