TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's required for a voice interface with fully autonomous vehicles?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by Ludus, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Ludus

Ludus Member

As Tesla AP advances toward L4 and L5, it will need a more sophisticated voice interface that's able to handle pretty much everything. If it's useful some functions might be interactive with the touch screen or a HUD displaying choices or relevant information.

This is especially needed for use as a Mobility app robo taxi. Passengers need to interact with the car in the same way they might with a driver.

There are likely a lot of issues that will come up.

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This will always be a gimmick in cars. I can't see this ever being a real possibility unless you always have no radio or other passengers.

I guess one way is with multiple microphones around the car and a simple machine learning algorithm to filter out the driver's commands only. It just seems like overkill when the whole point of L4 and L5 would be to free up your hands while having to pay less attention to the road. In which case you could simply look at a screen and select exactly what you want.

This also eliminates recognition mistakes due to other noises road, radio, passengers, etc:

"Call Girlfriend"
    ... dialing wife
    "Nooo"

3. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

"No, I would have to say, 'please display all previous Tardis inhabitants.'"

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Be careful, it's bigger on the inside, that list may be larger than you expect.