Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's "Signature" Mean???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't recall any use of the terms "Signature" and "Production" when I registered. Would someone be kind enough to define them for me?
TIA! :confused:

"Signature" = "Tesla, I'm going to buy an expensive version of the first iteration of your expensive car in 3 to 5 years when you finally release it, so please have $40,000 of my money right now."
"Production" = "Tesla, I want to buy your expensive car now, please have $2,500 - $5,000 dollars of my money until you produce it."

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
"Signature" = "Tesla, I'm going to buy an expensive version of the first iteration of your expensive car in 3 to 5 years when you finally release it, so please have $40,000 of my money right now."
"Production" = "Tesla, I want to buy your expensive car now, please have $2,500 - $5,000 dollars of my money until you produce it."

Thanks, NotAbout. I can appreciate your sentiments...but I'd still like a more straightforward, informative response to my question!

Thanks, NotAbout. I can appreciate your sentiments...but I'd still like a more straightforward, informative response to my question!

As flippant as the response may have been, it's all true. :biggrin:

With the S and now the X, Tesla begins production with a handful of Founders cars (investors, VIPs), then a limited edition of Signature cars, then goes to general production. The Sigs are fully-optioned with just a couple of choices to be made at config time; there is one paint color, Signature Red, that is only available to Founders and Sigs.

As @stevezzz says, the Sig cars have a few unique features. There's the badging, the low VIN number, and a unique color available. There were a couple of other little upgrades, including chrome inserts along the edge of the rear trunk deck (which I happen to have in my very early Production vehicle; apparently that had some extras!). A few lucky Sig owners actually have Elon's signature on the back of their visor!

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

As was noted by others. It goes:
(1) a few Founders cars
(2) Some signatures (with a few distiinctive details)
(3) (General) Production

For countries/regions other than the USA, they might have their own Signature vehicles, and those Signature reservation holders generally get their versions before others in their region, but might not, because the time Tesla starts delivering cars to their regions, the batching of vehicles might bypass the Sig holders.

Signature = more money. aka "sig tax". further defined as you pay more money upfront, for a lesser quality and more buggy production vehicle.
My Signature runs nicer than the loaner Model S. I would hardly call it "buggy" except that it is a lovely ultra-fast electric buggy.

On item on the Signatures and perhaps some early production run vehicles was the screening material that was located over the air vents at the front windshield. By hiding the vents with the screen, the vents did not reflect into the windshield. That was one of the nice features along with some great gifts that were sent by Tesla Motors. That Model S continues to be so good, that I retained my Model X Signature reservation and look forward to taking delivery.

I got chrome in the Frunk, but just plastic in the Trunk. I guess they ran out of the back chrome pieces by the time my early Production was made!

lol. That's pretty funny.

- - - Updated - - -

My Signature runs nicer than the loaner Model S. I would hardly call it "buggy" except that it is a lovely ultra-fast electric buggy.

On item on the Signatures and perhaps some early production run vehicles was the screening material that was located over the air vents at the front windshield. By hiding the vents with the screen, the vents did not reflect into the windshield. That was one of the nice features along with some great gifts that were sent by Tesla Motors. That Model S continues to be so good, that I retained my Model X Signature reservation and look forward to taking delivery.

Hmm, nice to get some perspective from a Sig owner. Shows a bit more than most of us realize.

For what it's worth, that's not a feature - that's the original design that didn't work so well in the colder climates. I, too, didn't have them do the retrofit because I prefer the original look and am willing to hit the defroster button more often.

That said, my sig feels more comfortable to me. I don't feel it's any "buggier", although I did have my share of experiences (DOA GPS antenna that thought I was permanently in Menlo Park, etc.). I also had great service in that Tesla flew a ranger to my home to work on my car before they set up the St. Louis sservice center.

And let's not forget the beautiful Sig red!

We will have both Sig Model S and Model X.

Completely agree.

Appreciate the replies, Guys! But now I'm wondering why the Signature option wasn't offered to me when I first registered (and paid) for the X. Was I profiled (shudder!)???

There are a limited number of signatures in each market. For North America, I believe it is 1,000 or 1,200 signature cars and they were all reserved a year or so ago. There is purportedly a signature waiting list that you can ask to be on, so that if someone drops out you can take their spot, but with deliveries so close now in North America, it would be a long-shot to ask.

I can't imagine that "Signature" has any added resale value at all. I have driven two 2013 VINs, no0t even sigs, as loaners and mine is much better built, quieter, smoother and everything else. I tell my friends to not consider anything before 2014 because it seems they worked the kinks out by then.

I can't imagine that "Signature" has any added resale value at all...
Signature Red paint color does add value and/or resale speed. For collectors, the Signature branding would add value. The loaners I have driven have additional features such as parking sensors, however the build quality has not appeared to be much different. Part of this is due to the quality of Tesla service and the improvements installed during service. Door handles, motor drive units, windshields, antennas, battery switch upgrades and other parts are an example of what Tesla Motors has replaced that make the Model S vehicle operate better than when new. Software updates have also changed the feel and performance. Most surprising has been the lack of squeaks and rattles that plague other manufacturers as their cars have advanced miles. The ongoing new like quality is truly remarkable and most impressive.

Just like any vehicle, the year of manufacture or model year, the care of the vehicle interior/exterior and number of miles affect value. With Tesla Motors vehicles, the number of miles remaining on vehicle service policies and/or years remaining on a battery warranty would be a consideration. I would advise buyers to consider the battery version, as version "A" packs have a Supercharger limit of 90 kW. Version "B" battery packs and later can accept 120 kW, giving a 10 to 15 minute saving of time during a Supercharger charge from 10% to 90%. With the higher prices of new Model S and X vehicles, there will always be a demand for good quality used Tesla EVs.

Last edited:
Version "B" battery packs and later can accept 120 kW, giving a 10 to 15 minute saving of time during a Supercharger charge from 10% to 90%.

Do you have a source for that? I can't find it now but recall some owners doing side-by-side tests and the results being closer to 5 minutes due to the way the pack charges and tapers as it gets full. I think there was a bigger difference between 60 kWk packs and 85's (and presumably the newer 70's) with the 85's of any generation being faster.