Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's "Signature" Mean???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine that "Signature" has any added resale value at all. I have driven two 2013 VINs, no0t even sigs, as loaners and mine is much better built, quieter, smoother and everything else. I tell my friends to not consider anything before 2014 because it seems they worked the kinks out by then.

FWIW, my March 2013 car with 60,000 miles seems just as well built as any new loaner I've had, and it certainly has not developed any new noises, rattles etc. over that time. In my view, the only downside is that these earlier cars were not as "feature complete" as newer cars. There were no parking sensors, cold weather options or even coil suspension options (only air) back then.

Do you have a source for that? I can't find it now but recall some owners doing side-by-side tests and the results being closer to 5 minutes due to the way the pack charges and tapers as it gets full. I think there was a bigger difference between 60 kWk packs and 85's (and presumably the newer 70's) with the 85's of any generation being faster.

Right on the 5 minute front.

Not so on the 60 vs any gen of 85 part. My very early 60 could supercharge at upto 105 kW while the A-pack 85s capped off at 90 kW.

I can't imagine that "Signature" has any added resale value at all. I have driven two 2013 VINs, no0t even sigs, as loaners and mine is much better built, quieter, smoother and everything else. I tell my friends to not consider anything before 2014 because it seems they worked the kinks out by then.
no. if anything it's worth less since the earliest cars have the most issues.

Here's what KBB has to say:
KBB disagrees. If you follow these two pages and align the configurations, the default mileage of 15631, and pick Very Good condition you get the following...

$74,248
Kelley Blue Book

$69,431
Kelley Blue Book

FYI

Signature Red paint color does add value and/or resale speed. For collectors, the Signature branding would add value.
Indeed

My first recollection of "Signature" was when the first Roadsters were made. They had a "signature" run, and you paid extra primarily to get your car earlier.

They came with an oval badge on the dash, IIRC, which had the signatures of all the people who worked on the car.

I would expect there are some Roadsters out there with this badge. The signature tradition continued with Model S: You put your money down to get an early spot in line. It could get you a car months in advance of the crowd. The car would be more hand built. Elon himself may have inspected it. Elon may have signed it. The car usually had features that some called defects, but you got your car earlier. And Tesla always worked out any bugs, for free. At least they did with my car. Door handles that didn't present or open the door, frunk latch that bent and wouldn't open, but I think that was about all. Oh, and tire sensors and antenna that needed to be replaced.

Since those were fixed, long ago, there have been no issues. I expect that most new cars have a few issues, though, which get fixed.

So at this point, a Signature may be better in ways: The bugs are dead.

tesla-motors-signature-250-series.jpg

Do you have a source for that? I can't find it now but recall some owners doing side-by-side tests and the results being closer to 5 minutes due to the way the pack charges and tapers as it gets full. I think there was a bigger difference between 60 kWk packs and 85's (and presumably the newer 70's) with the 85's of any generation being faster.
It might be 5 minutes. However, I was provided with a version "B" 85 kW battery pack when my 85 kW "A" pack was sent to Fremont for the battery switch upgrade. The 6 weeks that I had the "B" pack allowed me to drive from SoCal to OKC and enjoy the faster Supercharger speed. My "A" pack has shown 290 MPH of range flow maximum while the "B" pack showed a maximum of 380 MPH. Granted, that is occurring only when the battery has about 30 to 50 miles left, but even as the taper occurs, the version "B" pack would show higher numbers. The reason for the faster battery charging is due to the cooling system in the pack. Increased cooling allows for the higher rate, just as the new liquid cooled Supercharger cable can be of a higher amperage.

Tesla Motors did return my version "A" battery, and no charging improvements were included with the update. I am pleased that the Model S Signature can always be upgraded in the future with a new battery pack and get the latest Supercharger performance.

One other thing... The version "A" battery has been through many Supercharger adventures through the Pacific Northwest. One drive required a lengthy range charge. The time it took from 90% to 100% was about 45 minutes to an hour, since the heat generated at those levels is so high. It did not take that long with the version "B" pack on the OKC trip to avoid a stop in Amarillo.

Last edited:
One other thing... The version "A" battery has been through many Supercharger adventures through the Pacific Northwest. One drive required a lengthy range charge. The time it took from 90% to 100% was about 45 minutes to an hour, since the heat generated at those levels is so high. It did not take that long with the version "B" pack on the OKC trip to avoid a stop in Amarillo.

That's an interesting observation that I noticed myself (with my A-pack) one time. I was not aware, however, that the B and later packs were better in the 90 to 100% charge period.

For the most part, if I've stopped to Supercharge and am out of the car at a restaurant or something, in just about every case, the car is ready before I am. So if a B or later car was ready 5 minutes earlier still, it would make no difference to me and my travel plans.

So I have a 2012 Signature that I picked up as a CPO car. By the time I got it, all of the bugs were apparently dealt with since it has had no significant issues in the 24 months I have had it. It is serial number 00233...a very early car. Had one door handle replaced, that's it. Car has 40K miles on it now and runs like a dream. I have had a couple of loaners and except for the one that had Auto Pilot I have not noticed any significant quality upgrades that distinguish them from my "old" MS.

Reactions: ModelX
So I have a 2012 Signature that I picked up as a CPO car. By the time I got it, all of the bugs were apparently dealt with since it has had no significant issues in the 24 months I have had it. It is serial number 00233...a very early car. Had one door handle replaced, that's it. Car has 40K miles on it now and runs like a dream. I have had a couple of loaners and except for the one that had Auto Pilot I have not noticed any significant quality upgrades that distinguish them from my "old" MS.

I agree...I love my "old" S00075.