Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's state of the art for washing a Model S at home and making it shine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was like you until I did a ceramic coat. Never wanted anyone washing my car. A good ceramic installation places will do paint correction, clay bar, and chip repair before they coat your car. Here is a pic of my 2 year old car after having Ceramic Pro Silver put on. 25k miles on it.

IMG-20190222-132220722-HDR.jpg

Is a special type of mitt needed to get ONR on the car or can you use any micro fiber mitt?
I spray diluted ONR with spray bottle. After a minute remove with microfiber cloth folded into 4 (8 sides). Keep using each of 8 segments. If car is really dirty may need second microfiber. Top of car is mostly glass (glass roof), still figuring out which glass cleaner is best.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
My complete process...
Hope this helps.
Tesla Car Wash !!!
YouTube Video Description including links to all products used:
Tesla recommends that you do not use a commercial carwash unless it is “touchless “. So for most of us in the Tesla community that means we’re washing our own cars.

In this video I will show you everything that you need to know to properly maintain your Tesla.

I have included links to all of the products used. The techniques and products used here are the result of extensive research online as well as trial and error, resulting in what I believe to be the best solution.

Please subscribe…
The Tesla Guy

EQUIPMENT:
Sun Joe SPX4001 2030 PSI 1.76 GPM 14.5 Amp Electric Pressure Washer w/ Pressure Select Technology & Hose Reel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBV3LPV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_h74uCbXEB81HB

Sun Joe SPX-UQC Universal Brass/Aluminum Pressure Washer Garden Hose Quick-Connect Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HH3V1Z0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.74uCbWV6TH05

McKillans Foam Cannon Professional Grade Adjustable Lance Pressure Washer Jet Wash with 1/4” Quick Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6KPV3G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GN5uCbG88X0C2

Extra Bonus! Includes 3 Additional Filters - Metro Vac Revolution W/ 30 Ft Hose - Model MB-3CD SWB - 30 - Air Force Master Blaster Car & Motorcycle Air Dryer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0711L4Y6F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IS5uCbZ4QRY1C

Portable, Home DIY Deionized Car Wash Water System for Sale | Simple Chuck

Amazon:
Double Chuck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QRNWY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5m5uCbRTN1SPV

P&S Renny Doyle IK Beadmaker Sprayer

CHEMICALS:
Chemical Guys CWS_110 Honeydew Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleanser (1 Gal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009OTW646/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_594uCbGY470D2

P&S BEAD MAKER Paint Protectant Gallon (128 oz)

Optimum (NR2010G) No Rinse Wash & Shine - 1 Gallon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GG9FK2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RE5uCbVH68G0R

Hope's Perfect Glass Cleaner, 2 Piece, 32 Oz. Spray Bottle and 64 Oz. Refill Bottle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ALK3I52/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bI5uCbW6A0HWF

Chemical Guys CWS_201 Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent Concentrate (1 Gal) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001W91J8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9K5uCbQSX7V7A

OTHER SUPPLIES:
VALUE BUNDLE Cyclone Wash Mitt Premium Korean Microfiber 2-PACK

VALUE BUNDLE Eagle Edgeless 600 16 x 16 Towel - GREY 5-PACK

VALUE BUNDLE 16 x 16 Creature Edgeless Dual Pile Towel 5-PACK

VALUE BUNDLE 16 x 24 Eagle Edgeless 500 Microfiber Towels (3-PACK)

Similar Wheel Brush
AmazonBasics Wheel Brush, Long Handle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073P7FSW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ml5uCb5R63RHP

Quik Shot - 16 Ounce Plastic Flask with a Built-in 1 Ounce Shot Glass Chamber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM5FI5I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_STjvCb7H18HTF

It has been years since I have paid attetion to detailing a car, since my daily driver is now 24 YO.

Last century, two buckets, wash both monthly top to bottom, California car duster and Eagle One detailer weekly were SOA.

Not sure about microfiber on paint. A lot of static and they pick up a lot of debris. I stick with cotton and only use the microfiber for waxing. Yes, I still use 100% carnuba.

Now that I have a car built recently with clear coat, would appreciate comments

I'm looking for a very gentle but effective interior cleaner that will not leave any residue and preserve the nice matte finish of the Model S premium interior. What's your favorite interior cleaner, other than distilled water?

Is Optimum No Rinse a good solution for cleaning the interior by spraying it onto a microfiber towel and using that to clean the dashboard and interior door panels?
No, ONR is designed with polymers that reinforce ceramic finish. I would look at Optimums other products for interior. But really, with new synthetic seats, I’ve found water is fine with maybe a touch of Simple Green to get out dirt if necessary.

I was like you until I did a ceramic coat. Never wanted anyone washing my car. A good ceramic installation places will do paint correction, clay bar, and chip repair before they coat your car. Here is a pic of my 2 year old car after having Ceramic Pro Silver put on. 25k miles on it.

IMG-20190222-132220722-HDR.jpg

Your car looks great! I just had my 2018 deep blue metallic MS 100D coated with CQuartz Finest Reserve and it also looks great. Now my concern is how to keep it looking great. Until now, I’ve always used a local hand wash car wash place, but I’m concerned that even they will not be gentle enough to care for the CQuartz. What have you found??

Reactions: dbldwn02
I had my car PPF and ceramic. I went out and bought a hose foamer and use Turtlewax car wash with a leaf blower dryer. Then I bought a small power washer and a foam gun, still with Turtlewax and the blower. Finally after a few months I'm back to two buckets, one soap, one rinse. I use a microfiber towel to wash (with plenty of hose water), rinse the towel in the clear bucket after every panel, rinse each section and move on. Then blow most of the water off, and finally towel dry what's left. Works very well, much less time, and the car looks great.

I had my car PPF and ceramic. I went out and bought a hose foamer and use Turtlewax car wash with a leaf blower dryer. Then I bought a small power washer and a foam gun, still with Turtlewax and the blower. Finally after a few months I'm back to two buckets, one soap, one rinse. I use a microfiber towel to wash (with plenty of hose water), rinse the towel in the clear bucket after every panel, rinse each section and move on. Then blow most of the water off, and finally towel dry what's left. Works very well, much less time, and the car looks great.

How long have you had the ceramic coating on the car? Do you apply any kind of "booster" to the ceramic coating after wash? Have you seen any diminution of the coating since originally applied?

The treatments are about six months old, and after a wash/dry it does not appear to be any less glossy. I like turtlewax wash as it contains a light wax, which subjectively, appears to keep all of our cars shinier. I don't think the car has concourse sheen, but is definitely street shiny.

The treatments are about six months old, and after a wash/dry it does not appear to be any less glossy. I like turtlewax wash as it contains a light wax, which subjectively, appears to keep all of our cars shinier. I don't think the car has concourse sheen, but is definitely street shiny.

Thnaks! Since I got the CQuartz coating, I've become paranoid about not diminishing it. I'm even worried about taking it through the local "hand wash" car wash place, since they don't use microfiber towels exclusively.

Thnaks! Since I got the CQuartz coating, I've become paranoid about not diminishing it. I'm even worried about taking it through the local "hand wash" car wash place, since they don't use microfiber towels exclusively.

My advice is to get the equipment you need to wash the car at home. Driving to the car wash and back is probably at least 30 minutes of time for you. Why not add 10 more minutes and spend some quality time wit your baby and do it right?

I just got done buying most of the equipment I need for 2-bucket ONR washing at home. Hope to have everything by the end of the week and it will be nice to learn how to properly wash my car.

It has been a decade or more since I took care of the paint on my other cars, all last century vintage...recent test with clay bar/paint cleaner worked very well in restoring the paint to near new condition. No swirls or scratches - only major paint problems were rock chips.

Back then, CA car duster weekly, spray detailer bi-weekly with well laundered cotton towels, and washing every few months were accepted practice, and worked well for me. Now I have the Tesla, with multi clear coat, I know I have to be more careful and get educated.

I appreciate all the advice here, but one thing I disagree with is that I do not feel microfiber towels are best for paint, except for removing wax. I notice a large amount of static that picks up debris, sometimes too small to see, and I have to pick it out by hand. I am sure this will scratch the paint, no matter how soft the cloth is.

Also, a question I have, is what is the benefit of ONR vs Detailer? I have only washed the car three times in 6 months, a real pain to remove all the drips around the doors, etc. I can get in all the nooks/crannies/doorjambs easily with the detailer.

I also believe the less you touch the paint the better. I use a outdoor Tesla cover, in the garage, at all times to keep the dust off, and avoid garage rash from family members.

...a friend told them about a product that was being used to protect boat hulls in Fla. The equivalent today is a polymer coating called Rejex. It is easy to apply and easy to maintain. My car is super shiny and always looks good.

I can vouch for Rejex (I forget the source, but I understood it was actually developed for the Air Force to use on aircraft windshields and people repurposed it for whatever once they released a commercial version). However, IIRC you could only apply it in a certain temperature range like 60-80 degrees, only in the shade, and it needed curing time without getting touched or wet. It was brilliant on my headlights, windshield, and wheels but I never tried it on body surfaces.

I switched to Opticoat (also a polymer) and get the same results with less application hassle. After that, pick the wash method you best reason with. Like dieting, the core principles haven’t changed in 50 years despite what the latest salesman would have you believe.

Your car looks great! I just had my 2018 deep blue metallic MS 100D coated with CQuartz Finest Reserve and it also looks great. Now my concern is how to keep it looking great. Until now, I’ve always used a local hand wash car wash place, but I’m concerned that even they will not be gentle enough to care for the CQuartz. What have you found??

I had this done a few months ago. I've only had to wash it twice since then. Almost everything just washes off after a rain. I got tired of sitting in line at touchless washes. Including the drive time, wait, and wash, I was at more than an hour and $15/min to wash it. Colorado car washes are packed on nice days.

Foam gun on the pressure washer to start. Quick mitt wash and then hit it with the pressure washer again. I'll take it for a drive or hit it with the leaf blower after. If I wants a drip free dry, microfiber towels. Total time from setup to dry is 30 minutes.

I'm supposed to take it in yearly for a ceramicpro refresh. The detailer does it for about $100 and it keeps the warranty intact.

If you really want to learn the right way to detail and take care of your car, join the Obsessed Garage Facebook group and start watching through Matt’s Obsessed Garage YouTube channel. Not for the faint of heart, but the info there is THE BEST.
Me personally, I paint correct and ceramic coat all of my family’s vehicles when they’re brand new. It makes maintenance cleaning life easier and the paint looks amazing with the right coating (I like Gtechniq).
I have never used PPF as I don’t keep a car for longer than a couple years and all that’s doing is preventing chips for the next owner. Also, I don’t like the look they give the paint and edges WILL show eventually even with too notch installers; grime will start to build up at the seams and they will show, it’s just a matter of time.

I'm thinking about getting a Pressure Washer to wash the car when there is excess dirt and mud.

What is the best detergent/soap to put in the reservoir of a Pressure Washer so I can use the Pressure Washer as a Foam Cannon?

I can then use the Pressure Washer to rinse out all the large dirt particles and then follow up with a quick ONR two bucket wash without worrying about large dirt particles.

This is the Pressure Washer I'm thinking about buying. Has anyone used it or have a better one for washing the car? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2GRLV5/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza