Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's state of the art for washing a Model S at home and making it shine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, never EVER dry your microfiber mitts and towels in the dryer. They are ruined after doing this just once.
I've never heard that before and I've done plenty of research on microfiber towels and mitts and exterior car care. Hopefully not true or all my microfiber towels and mitts are ruined. I do keep my dryer on low heat delicate for all loads, so I have hope.

Do you rinse the car with a hose after wiping it down with an ONR saturated mitt? Or do you just buff it dry with a microfiber towel? Or neither? I also gave up on the two bucket method and use a bunch of microfiber mitts in a bucket of regular car wash soap.
No, that kind of defeats purpose. You just wipe with microfiber. I use 2 buckets with same solution in each (wash a section to get stuff off, then rinse with clean bucket).

Reactions: DCEV
I spray diluted ONR with spray bottle. After a minute remove with microfiber cloth folded into 4 (8 sides). Keep using each of 8 segments. If car is really dirty may need second microfiber. Top of car is mostly glass (glass roof), still figuring out which glass cleaner is best.

This is the glass cleaner I use on both the interior and exterior and it works super well and does not streak.

For the exterior glass, I spray on the glass and clean with micro fiber. I like that the foam clings to the exterior glass. For the interior, I spray on microfiber and clean the glass. It's ammonia free so safe for use on the car.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I think I have now bought everything needed for washing the car at home and I'll post the list of everything soon.

All that's left is to figure out what's the best clay bar and clay bar lubricant to use. Has anyone used Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 or is there something better to use?

Reactions: P85_DA
Nanoskin sponge and nanoskin glide for lubricant. Works as good or better than clay, less chance of marring the paint, and just rinse off if you drop it (clay has to be thrown away). Also, just easier and faster to use

How long is it good for?

I was under the assumption that traditional clay is better because you can see what is trapped in it and you can they throw it away when it is contaminated. With these new clay gloves and pads how do you know when it is too contaminated and do you then throw it away and buy a new one? How long are they good for?

How long is it good for?

I was under the assumption that traditional clay is better because you can see what is trapped in it and you can they throw it away when it is contaminated. With these new clay gloves and pads how do you know when it is too contaminated and do you then throw it away and buy a new one? How long are they good for?
I believe they’re good for doing like 30 cars

Interesting that it's that good compared to regular clay!

Just as long as it won't damage the paint after absorbing all those contaminants...
It doesn’t absorb anything, it’s just a surface material that removes the contaminants and wears down slowly over time. You keep a bucket of water close by while using it and dunk it in there every so often during the process to rinse it off.

Last edited:
It doesn’t absorb anything, it’s just a surface material that removes the contaminants and wears down slowly over time. You keep a bucket of water close by while using it and dunk it in there every so often during the process to rinse it off.

So this is then really different from typical clay?

What I like abut using a claybar is that it removes and absorbs all the contaminants and you can see how well it works because everything removed from the paint is embedded in the clay.

So this is then really different from typical clay?

What I like abut using a claybar is that it removes and absorbs all the contaminants and you can see how well it works because everything removed from the paint is embedded in the clay.
Definitely different than clay but also better in every way IMO
Personally the fact that the contaminants stay embedded in the clay is a negative for me as it’s just an opportunity for them to later on scratch the surface, even if you are folding it over and over. With Nanoskin you dunk it in water and they’re off for good