Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

whats still on while car is "asleep"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i plan to buy a used model s and export it out of USA

i will have a hotspot for local data and car will connect via wifi to the hotspot

will this cause any issues? like the app functions?

when the car is asleep, does the wifi turn off?

i try to search but cannot find answer

i did find that model 3 turned off wifi/usb when it is asleep

What is sleeping and how deep may change with firmware. On our 2018 MS (new MCU), when the car was in the garage unplugged, it would go to sleep and if I wanted to plug it in I would have to wait a good 15-30 seconds whenever I clicked the HPWC handle (I would hear the car click while waking up). After recent update (46.2), either the wakeup is much faster, sleep is more shallow, or they don't put to sleep whatever controls the charge port because it opens within few seconds now (very noticably faster). Connecting from the app also seems faster (the app on my wife's iPhone used to timeout before the car would wake up, lately it doesn't).

2015 MS I just set to never sleep, don't have any issues with excessive vampire drain. New MCU doesn't have that option, I guess Intel sucks more power than the Nvidia chips so not sleeping is not an option.

I'm a TeslaFi user. I notice that since 2018.44, my MX (MCU2) is very hard to put to sleep anymore. Before 2018.44, it usually went to sleep/offline (plugged in or not) after at most 2 hours. Since 2018.44, it hardly sleeps at all. Sometimes it stays awake (idle) for more than 5 hours.