Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Tesla's Markup on CPO's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking of buying a new Model S so I can have the dual motor, cold weather package, and AP2. I have an 2012 Model S P85 with low miles. What kind of price is Tesla going to offer me as a trade-in? Do they offer better deals when the trade-in is part of a new car purchase? Alternately, do they buy cars from people who are NOT buying a new or used Tesla?

Tesla does NOT offer any better deal when trading in a Tesla for Tesla vs any other car. Was gobig to trade in my S85D on a S100D and ended up selling it here on TMC Tina fellow forum member who flew in to Atlanta on my S100D delivery day and purchased mine. Just took delivery of our MX75D and went to CarMax to check on Tesla’s trafe in amount and ended up with a higher amount which Tesla gladly accepts and takes. In the end whatever CarMax is willing to give you is the same Tesla will offer you as a trade.

Reactions: JPUConn
I am thinking of buying a new Model S so I can have the dual motor, cold weather package, and AP2. I have an 2012 Model S P85 with low miles. What kind of price is Tesla going to offer me as a trade-in? Do they offer better deals when the trade-in is part of a new car purchase? Alternately, do they buy cars from people who are NOT buying a new or used Tesla?

The 2012 P85 was the best Tesla I have owned of the 4 I have purchased. I currently have a P100D, but I so wish I would have kept my original P85. The P100D is quicker and range is farther, but the P85 was butter smooth on acceleration and drove like a dream. I find the dual motors much more choppy on acceleration and the ride a bit stiffer. Tread lightly as the difference isn’t worth the huge new payment IMO.

Tesla offered me $42k for mine P85 two years ago, so likely the offer will be much lower now.

Tesla will not offer you a cent over CarMax. You can usually do much better selling it on your own. Get a CarMax offer, account for the sales tax credit on a trade in, and use that as your baseline. 99% of people are able to sell it for much more private party.

Historically the markup was around $5k + any noticeable reconditioning.

They were transparent with me when I got a trade quote on my 2013 S85 this past summer that they would pay $37k and sell it for $42k and specified their offer was higher because they knew my car did not require reconditioning (they were quite familiar with this car and as a benefit it received many retrofit/upgrades under warranty). I ended up selling privately in the middle of those #’s.

And they will only buy your car if you are buying another one from them. I ended up buying my newer S privately which also pushed my sale to being private party.

• Informative
Reactions: Icer
about $10,000-12,000 is their markup. Maybe a little lower on an older car. Maybe a little more on a P100D or something...but that's what I've observed (especially having traded my own car in and having seen it sold shortly thereafter)

They will tell you this too. They'll offer you a price on a trade and let you know that they need at least $10,000 from what they're going to sell it for because they spend good money reconditioning the car. They were susprisiginly honest.

I'm not sure that there is a set mark-up. In October I purchased a 2014 P85 with a full 4 year, 50,000 mile limited and the remainder of the 8 year unlimited mile warranties. The car is solid black, pano roof, performance leather, 21" grey rims, extended leather trim, alacantra headliner, tech pkg, carbon fiber spoiler, and red calipers. I bought through Tesla and I paid $41,800 plus tax and license. I haven't seen anything close to this price for a CPO 2014, P85 (that wasn't either salvaged or out of warranty).

The markup seems to be all over the place because they keep rotating their inventory in and out of their Web site constantly. So if they take in a CPO and then it racks up 6,000 miles as a service loaner, they probably just blew through any markup they were planning to have due to the mileage/use depreciation, not to mention the time in service depreciation.

For them to maximize revenue from the CPO program, they need to list their entire CPO inventory and sell those cars as soon as they can but there current strategy seems to be the opposite of that.

Complete speculation on my end, but 10% above trade-in is about the minimum that I've seen/noticed. I've seen a few forum members post about how much they traded in their cars for and then Tesla turned around and advertised at "X" price. The most notable one was a P90D (I believe that was the model) that was marked up by $10K a few months ago.

Are you referring to the Federal Tax deduction for Sales Tax? With the change in the tax law (doubling of the standard deduction), I'm not sure I'll be itemizing my deductions. I live in Washington so there is no state income tax.

Sales tax, not income tax. In WA state (and some other states) the value of the trade in is deducted from the sales price of the new car, and you only pay sales tax on the delta.

Example - you trade in a $40K car for a $90K car. You only pay sales tax on $50K, not $90K.

Reactions: RScottyL
Are you referring to the Federal Tax deduction for Sales Tax? With the change in the tax law (doubling of the standard deduction), I'm not sure I'll be itemizing my deductions. I live in Washington so there is no state income tax.

He's saying some states only charge sales tax on the difference between your new car and the trade-in value of the old car, not for the full new car purchase amount. Unfortunately not in my state....