Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's that noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry...no audio file available, hopefully this will make sense:

Whenever I step on it hard, I hear a "clunk clunk clunk..." noise towards the rear axle. It sounds like it somewhat tied/related to a moving part based on the noise pattern as it the "clunks" are getting faster and faster as the car accelerates. It doesn't happen at the very start, but it in 40mph and above range. As soon as I get off the juice, the noise stops instantly.

Any idea? Based on how it sounds, I was thinking it may be traction-control related, but it seems a bit loud and it also is not audible from 0-40ish, so that doesn't seem right either. Slip start disabled and dry pavement. This is a P90DL It happens in both Sport and L mode.

I am planning on swinging by a SC soon, but wanted to run this by this always knowledgeable crowd first.

Thanks for sharing, my noise is definetly not in the "normal noise" category :)

On an loosely related note, I noticed this morning that the service center disabled remote access to my car via the mobile app. Is that standard practice? That's a first for me and my paranoid side is wondering whether that's a sign of many upcoming joy rides above and beyond what they would need to test the car?

On an loosely related note, I noticed this morning that the service center disabled remote access to my car via the mobile app. Is that standard practice? That's a first for me and my paranoid side is wondering whether that's a sign of many upcoming joy rides above and beyond what they would need to test the car?

Definitely standard procedure. It's a safety issue.

Standard practice. Early on at least one owner complained that the car was being driven. Also as Andy says, it's for safety.

Reactions: Andyw2100

Took my X in for service and noticed the same thing. SC also unplugged my front and rear after market cameras, which would have allowed me to take a look at what was going on while the car was behind closed doors. I was told they do it for safety reasons, not wanting a customer powering up the car while they are working on it. Makes sense......

I picked up my car this morning (they turned things around very quickly and the overall service experience was perfect. I am the first one to complain when things don't go smoothly, so major kudos here.

On to the fun stuff:

1- I am glad I stopped by...front-right half shaft replacement.
2- Placebo effect is/was real
3- Turning Off the app makes sense and yes, I was a bit paranoid on that one.