Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's that thumping sound coming from the trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was necessary to run my battery on my three almost all the way down to reach a supercharger. Then I still had over 200 miles to get back home, during which I started hearing a loud thump coming from the back of the car. It occurred about every 10 minutes or so, far too frequently for my comfort. I drove about 30 miles yesterday and didn't hear anything. But I am wondering what caused the thumping?

It was necessary to run my battery on my three almost all the way down to reach a supercharger. Then I still had over 200 miles to get back home, during which I started hearing a loud thump coming from the back of the car. It occurred about every 10 minutes or so, far too frequently for my comfort. I drove about 30 miles yesterday and didn't hear anything. But I am wondering what caused the thumping?

How many times did it happen?

The 3’s have a tendency to make loud bangs during and after supercharging. It is like they have metal panels on the battery that expand and contract and snap from convex to concave.

It is extremely un-nerving but it only happens a couple of times around the time of supercharging.

Does not seem to cause any actual issue other than waking you up since it is so loud!

Maybe you forgot to let your kid out of the trunk? Model 3 doesn’t have jump seats :)

Seriously though. See post above. You sure it was the trunk and not the back seat? I would think the battery metal expansion thing should be between the wheel wells / axles where the battery is and not in the trunk.

Reactions: APotatoGod
When I hear thumping in the trunk, I assume the mobster next door put some guy in my trunk. But in each case the dude was still alive. Weird.

2016-civic-trunk-space.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
How many times did it happen?

The 3’s have a tendency to make loud bangs during and after supercharging. It is like they have metal panels on the battery that expand and contract and snap from convex to concave.

It is extremely un-nerving but it only happens a couple of times around the time of supercharging.

Does not seem to cause any actual issue other than waking you up since it is so loud!
I had an intuition it may have been connected (pun) to the supercharging. And actually I imagined the exact scenario you're describing.

Reactions: eprosenx